The Lotus Cars Community banner
281 - 300 of 1102 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
06 Exige Hose Recall

My recall letter from LOTUS for my 2006 Exige that said I would be notified later of the hose replacement plan.

Please review:

1. Is there a inspection point on the original hose joints that would serve as a oil leakage telltale for the before long total hose joint failure?

2. Is this a real technical issue or some knee-jerk reaction from the LOTUS business side?

·
Puff Daddy
3,876 Posts
My recall letter from LOTUS for my 2006 Exige that said I would be notified later of the hose replacement plan.

Please review:

1. Is there a inspection point on the original hose joints that would serve as a oil leakage telltale for the before long total hose joint failure?

2. Is this a real technical issue or some knee-jerk reaction from the LOTUS business side?
1. The answer to this is highly variable. Some people have had weeping lines at the joints, others just blow the entire hose off without any warning (always at the interface between the line and something else). I go through the trouble of checking my lines and connections before every track day and it always looks the same... clean and dry.

2. Definitely not a knee-jerk reaction from the Lotus business side. I would however speculate that it could be a knee-jerk reaction from the LotusTalk community... Only a small percentage of cars have failed and we are probably getting a skewed sample because owners who never post here start looking on the Internet when their oil cooler line fails. I noticed that this thread has a high number of people posting in it that have very few overall posts.

That being said, it's still a crappy design. I haven't let it stop me from enjoying the car though. I just upped my insurance to the "gold" towing package for an extra $10/year in case something does happen :shrug:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Also theirs people that take their car to lotus and tell them whats wrong and they just fix it and pay for it BC when they do look it up on their data base their isnt no recall. and this is what i think lotus is doing stalling BC to those that know about it but hasnt happened to them their going to be like well **** im not waiting for lotus im going to fix it cause if i track it and that happens then im out for the summer.. Thats just what i think

Sent from my LG-MS910 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
42 Posts
That being said, it's still a crappy design. I haven't let it stop me from enjoying the car though. I just upped my insurance to the "gold" towing package for an extra $10/year in case something does happen :shrug:

Oh man, I hadn't even thought to do this, thanks for the tip. $9.40 per year for towing? I think I can scrounge that up.

Just took the Elise out for the first time this year (60 degrees on March 10th in Minnesota? Amazing!) and it was pure joy. Will be nice to have a real fix for this, but in the meantime, I'm going with willful ignorance ...

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Just took the Elise out for the first time this year (60 degrees on March 10th in Minnesota? Amazing!)
Couldn't bring myself to do it. Plenty of salt still about. Breaking a temperature record from the 1880's sure was neat, though. Drove around in the Saturn with the sunroof open. Sad duty today. Funeral for a vintage-racer who had his trailer tailgate kill him.

On the oil-line deal: Sure would like to get this wrapped up before the autox season.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
Dude, all yall need to quit worrying bout this crimp system and these fittings like its going on a mega crane!!

send your money to me and I will send you a .99 cent hose clamp..

These engines only make a max of 100 PSI in the oil department.

There's no way in hell your blowing a single hose clamp at that psi..

this pink hose i got is rated for 300 psi, you would have a better chance ripping that then pulling the hose of the nipple.

I had a whole pack of those okider crimp style clamps, thier junk... I'll stcik with a good hose clamp, welcome to america...

IF your real worried about the oil line failure, buy the oil filter nipple for a celica engine , remove the sandwich plate and put your filter directly on the engine..

·
Registered
693 Posts
Any status on the official recall? The dealer is holding my car from being shipped because he is offering to do the work but is waiting on the recall.

If it's gonna be a ways out, I'll just have him ship it and I'll get it done locally when it officially is released.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Do you have to have a leak in the line or connection to have the dealer fix it? Or are they now preemptively fixing cars?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I wish they would hurry up and get us all in! I talked to Ron and he pretty much said if it's not broke were not going to fix it...Yet...

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Given the risks involved (ruining engine, sliding/spinning in oil, causing someone else to crash, being stranded, etc), I recommend not waiting to fix the problem.

It's not that difficult or expensive, as the lines themselves seem fine.

I wonder if pulling on the hose near the fitting would reveal one about to come loose. Of course, it'd be a bad idea to do this, say, in a parking lot...

I see dealing with the issue as a form of insurance.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I think the best option is to go with the recall if you not mechanically inclined , wanting to take apart the car or you need alot of cooling, 110F +.

I just took my rear oil cooler setup for a spin. it was 80f out and it would not get out higher than 204F. I know for a fact in the garage on jack stands i had it to 210F.

You could also get lines made at a hydro line shop but the price will end up being the same for the sector111 set....

options, we got em...

I could hook up an oil temp sensor buuuuuut the midtray and diffusers back on...:sheep:

o and here's 4 more poor photos. But you can see what I did... Need to get black lines and a black better fitting cooler at some point but hey, prototype is workin lol!!

281 - 300 of 1102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.