The Lotus Cars Community banner
441 - 460 of 1102 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
FWIW: When I spoke to Aston Martin of NE about doing the recall work, they said it included an oil change. Can't see how it couldn't given that the work requires disconcerting the hoses which would lead to lose of oil.
Is there a thermostat on the oil cooler? Unlike a coolant thermostat, an oil-cooler thermostat cuts the cooler out of the circuit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can confirm that the Oil Cooler line fitting recall campaign is officially released and the parts are arriving to Lotus dealers this week. Letters are being mailed to vehicle owners to notify them if their vehicle is part of the recall campaign.

We just received 10 parts kits and we are doing our 2nd car today...please contact me if you have any questions or want to schedule your appointment.

Steve

·
Registered
525 Posts
from talking to my dealer, he mentioned only 500 units are affected by this recall. Is this true? I thought all 05-06 models were suspect to damages...

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I can confirm that the Oil Cooler line fitting recall campaign is officially released and the parts are arriving to Lotus dealers this week. Letters are being mailed to vehicle owners to notify them if their vehicle is part of the recall campaign.

We just received 10 parts kits and we are doing our 2nd car today...please contact me if you have any questions or want to schedule your appointment.

Steve
Does one have to have a letter in order for the dealer to do the work on Lotus' dime? or can you just go by the date on the door sill?

I received a letter last year, but have since moved. Hopefully I'll get a letter at my new address.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Finally I got my Lotus back on Monday but BMC SF still didn't have the parts, yet. So I would have to go back when parts are available.

Last week, I contacted BMC general manager and he made sure that I receive the best service. To my surprise, service advisor emailed me with status update, car was ready on time, and they even detailed my car for free.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does one have to have a letter in order for the dealer to do the work on Lotus' dime? or can you just go by the date on the door sill?

I received a letter last year, but have since moved. Hopefully I'll get a letter at my new address.
It's not as simple as looking at the build date or model year.

The oil line recall is for Federal Elise & Exige 05-07 Model Year...
"USA specification vehicles manufactured between 1 June 2004 and 30 November 2006".
You have to call your Lotus dealer and they can run your VIN in the Lotus system to see if the recall is open for your car.
If you're in the New England area don't hesitate to contact me and I'll check your VIN.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Since I rec'd a recall notification letter about a year ago, I expect to receive an invite to get the oil lines replaced within a couple of days. I understand that they will be including an oil change. Since a regular oil change only replaces approx. half of the lubricant in the engine, will the mechanic drain the entire system? I sure hope so.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,959 Posts
Since I rec'd a recall notification letter about a year ago, I expect to receive an invite to get the oil lines replaced within a couple of days. I understand that they will be including an oil change. Since a regular oil change only replaces approx. half of the lubricant in the engine, will the mechanic drain the entire system? I sure hope so.
According to the recall, it does not include an oil change, although some dealers may throw it in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lotus will only pay for 1 quart of oil during the recall to top up the oil level.

We are offering our clients an oil service at a reduced price during the recall

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I also got a notice about a recall for the ECU not having the VIN number programmed in which would cause the car to fail an emissions tests in states that require them.

It was in a separate envelope that came the same day as the oil line recall.

Do you think the dealers could reprogram the ECU with the lower second cam switchover point program instead of the regular one when they are doing the recall.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I also got a notice about a recall for the ECU not having the VIN number programmed in which would cause the car to fail an emissions tests in states that require them.

Do you think the dealers could reprogram the ECU with the lower second cam switchover point program instead of the regular one when they are doing the recall.
I also received both letters on Friday. What's the difference in the ECU programs you refer to?

Also, I've already had my leaking lines replaced last year by the local dealership. Lotus didn't have a solution at the time, so I had the dealer install RLS Aeroquip lines with push-on barbed fittings and Oetiker clamps. Will LCU possibly reimburse me for the labor that their solution requires? How much is that labor in hours?

I discussed this in person with someone at LCU headquarters at the time and they didn't have a good answer, as they didn't have a good solution yet in late 2011.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Clam off for oil line recall?

I just got the letter form Lotus today, and it states it is only a half hour procedure. I thought the front clam was more involved than that. Does it actually have to come off?

I'm asking because I was thinking of getting some other stuff done like stainless brake lines while the clam is off, maybe it's less of a big deal to take it off than I thought.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts

Tom, even if the dealer can, I think you'd be better served by one of the vendors' reflashes.

Beside lowering the cam change rpm, you'd get additional hp & tq. It's a very good investment, costing little and gaining a bunch.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I just got the letter form Lotus today, and it states it is only a half hour procedure. I thought the front clam was more involved than that. Does it actually have to come off?

I'm asking because I was thinking of getting some other stuff done like stainless brake lines while the clam is off, maybe it's less of a big deal to take it off than I thought.
R&R of a front clam is more involved than that. From the postings it sounds like the recall only involves replacing the fittings and topping off the oil. It does not include new oil lines or an oil change.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts

The half hour was for the ECU reflash, four hours for the oil lines.
Michael

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
R&R of a front clam is more involved than that. From the postings it sounds like the recall only involves replacing the fittings and topping off the oil. It does not include new oil lines or an oil change.
On TOF, it was mentioned that the line between the two coolers will be changed as well (for those that have 2).

My experience is that the connecting hose is too short once the old fitting are cut off.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
If you follow the link and download the pdf, it spells it out pretty clear.

441 - 460 of 1102 Posts