The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 1102 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Damnation !

I just actually took notice of the Month of Manufacture on the door a couple weeks ago I recall it being 06 something...on an 07 Exige S

and it is not parked in my garage at home. :thwack:

Makes for suspense until I can confirm my fortune good or ill :shrug:
Is your car one of the launch cars, pre-bumperettes? If so, then it falls in the dates above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah i toasted the motor when my oil cooler line gave. Repairs, new motor, sector 111's ultra lite lines, and labor for work ran me about 5g's.

Im the 2nd owner of my 06 lotus elise. About a month ago i did recieve a email from the NHTSA asking for my VIN# for their investigation, so im keeping my fingers crossed, hoping i can get a little something back.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There won't be any Federal V6 Exiges.
There will be 25 Cup Exiges S sold to be raced in the Cup USA series.

My guess is that this recall will take effect shortly after the federal V6 Exiges hit showrooms.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2007, number 67, with a manufacturing date of June 06, no bumperettes. I will be very interested to see if mine qualifies for the recall.
Please post if you are contacted by mail or have any new information, especially if you have an early '07. I will do the same.
I sent an e-mail to Matt Lever at Lotus Cars to ask for the attachment. Its unlikely that he will send it but I had to try.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Why wouldnt a dealer want to perform the service? It will be covered by lotus USA anyway not the dealership

·
shay2nak
24,900 Posts
I'm early 07 exige S also, build in 10/06, IIRC.

Blake's 07 Exige S lines popped some months back. Not sure when his was built.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I owned an M100 Elan which had a common leak issue with the gas tank. For the longest time Lotus did nothing until there were a lot of complaints. Then in 2002 Lotus notified all owners of the possible gas tank issue (NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V199000). All they did was a pressure leak down test to see if your gas tank was leaking. If everything checked okay no action was done. IMO this seemed pointless as I the tank could have failed sometime in the future after the test.

Anyhow, with the above said, my take is Lotus will do the same with the Elise/Exige recall...you take your car to a Lotus dealer they are going to inspect all end points of the oil lines to see if they are showing failure. If the lines look okay they will say everything checked out okay and your oil lines do not need replacement. What further makes me believe this is the NHTSA report stating the Remedy as "…LOTUS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGELOTUS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE…"

But how knows...Maybe with a new CEO things will be different?
I'm 100% positive Lotus and its dealerships will do everything possible not to get one damn thing done about it and they have a squad of lawyers already looking for loopholes around this recall. Cheap bastards. Best bet is to have the work done independently and hope that Lotus at least reimburses you for the trouble.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Just checked mine. Its manufactured July 2007. Are they saying that cars manufactured after October 2006 are safe? But if we have proof that the same problem occurred on cars manufactured after that date then they'll have to include more cars to the recall.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
ooh I just looked: Sept 06 Mfg date.
I guess my car IS part of the recall

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
APRIL

Let me know, since I will go to same dealership, thanks!
I meant to reply to you and realized I did not, sorry. I will put a call in to Jason on Monday to keep me updated on when the repairs are ready to be made and will report back to you. Also, I will only let Ritchie work on my car, especially after Mara's ordeal, and only after Nov 13 which is the last LCUSA event. I doubt any dealers would be ready and have the parts for the onslaught of cars before then anyways...

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I'm 100% positive Lotus and its dealerships will do everything possible not to get one damn thing done about it and they have a squad of lawyers already looking for loopholes around this recall. Cheap bastards. Best bet is to have the work done independently and hope that Lotus at least reimburses you for the trouble.
Not true, Lotus dealers will be chomping at the bit since Lotus will be paying for it anyways. Could be wrong but I doubt Lotus will reimburse anyone if you took it elsewhere to have it fixed.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Subscribed. Strangely enough, I found out about the recall from a new Elise owner I met out on a drive today.

Lotus could probably save themselves a lot of time wasted through calls/emails/letters by signing up here and just posting what they plan to do.

I wouldn't mind being reimbursed for a set of aftermarket (RLS/S111) lines and then saving them on labor by installing it myself.

·
German Reimport
2,952 Posts
Do you guys really believe that Lotus can or will change oil cooler lines on 5,037 cars?
If you take a conservative labor rate of $100/hour and 10hours to do the job, Lotus would look at over 5 million for this recall.

Of course they are going to do everything they can to get around this!

Most of what they will do is inspect the lines closely and replace as necessary, but they will not replace all of them.

And for all of you out there hoping for Lotus to reimburse you for any aftermarket fix: this is not going to happen.

The oil line issue is s safety relevant one. That's why we are at this point that NHTSA is investigating it.
From a legal point of view Lotus cold never allow any after marked kits to be installed as a fix for this issue without those kits undergoing extensive testing and getting engineering approval from Lotus.

It would be like signing liable for a parachute which someone else packed for you :no:

Now I wonder if they will find me and my Federal'06 car over here in Germany :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
And for all of you out there hoping for Lotus to reimburse you for any aftermarket fix: this is not going to happen.
I beg to differ, as I'm having my aftermarket oil lines installed by the local Lotus dealership after they inspected my original oil lines and found one that was leaking. At the very least I expect that the labor will be reimbursed, as the service manager has no problem using my RLS oil lines. Labor is the same whether I use genuine Lotus oil lines or not.

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Now I wonder if they will find me and my Federal'06 car over here in Germany :popcorn:
I was just thinking the same thing. So far the hope system has worked remarkably well. I just hope it keeps working until I'm back in the states, lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
so...what about those of us who've had this issue but the car has been manufactured in Europe, England?...

It's the same car and the same defects, so they should do this GLOBALLY.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
There are some people fixing the problem without replacing the entire line. It is highly possible that they will not just fix everyone's car though. I guess every month we can all take our cars to Lotus to have the lines inspected. :D

·
German Reimport
2,952 Posts
so...what about those of us who've had this issue but the car has been manufactured in Europe, England?...

It's the same car and the same defects, so they should do this GLOBALLY.
They are all built in Hethel, England, Europe :thwack:

41 - 60 of 1102 Posts