The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 1102 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
It does not make a difference. The agency doing the recall is an American agency. This was not initiated by Lotus. Therefore this recall is only in America.

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh ok thanks!

thought it was initiated by lotus america. didnt read it right

Are there agencies in Europe who can do the same for those of us over here?
If this has been 'approved' in America, I'm sure something can be initiated in Europe as well, or am I missing something?
They could use the same data the American agency has...
We have to try something...

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I beg to differ, as I'm having my aftermarket oil lines installed by the local Lotus dealership after they inspected my original oil lines and found one that was leaking. At the very least I expect that the labor will be reimbursed, as the service manager has no problem using my RLS oil lines. Labor is the same whether I use genuine Lotus oil lines or not.
Nothing you said indicates that Lotus will pay for installation of aftermarket lines. It's one thing if your service adviser is okay with something (on a car is out of factory warranty anyway), but whether Lotus will reimburse the dealership is another thing IMO.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Curious to see if my early build 2007 Exige S is one of the affected cars.

Subscribed.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I got my car out from other Garage. Manufactured Sept 2006.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad now ? Is my fortune good or ill ?

I guess it depends on what the recall really means ? Even if they would pull RLS lines ( my preference )

Does the CLAM come off ? if so then I replace radiator and the leaking oil cooler at that point in time.

So this is going to cost me if even in a best case scenario... I guess I am strapped in so will see how all this goes down.

How could they replace lines without taking clam off ? How could they not replace the lines if it is a recall ? I am confused by some of the comments. As I understand these matters, if your VIN fits within the recall your getting new lines and connectors regardless of if they are leaking or not currently.

I certainly won't expect anything less now that it is official. but I might be a little ignorant in such matters ? :huh:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
The lines are not the problem, the crimps are. There are sooo many threads on here on the issue. Some people have recrimped the lines with a different connection. Easier and cheaper than replacing the whole line.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I owned an M100 Elan which had a common leak issue with the gas tank. For the longest time Lotus did nothing until there were a lot of complaints. Then in 2002 Lotus notified all owners of the possible gas tank issue (NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V199000). All they did was a pressure leak down test to see if your gas tank was leaking. If everything checked okay no action was done. IMO this seemed pointless as I the tank could have failed sometime in the future after the test.

Anyhow, with the above said, my take is Lotus will do the same with the Elise/Exige recall...you take your car to a Lotus dealer they are going to inspect all end points of the oil lines to see if they are showing failure. If the lines look okay they will say everything checked out okay and your oil lines do not need replacement. What further makes me believe this is the NHTSA report stating the Remedy as "…LOTUS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGELOTUS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE…"

But how knows...Maybe with a new CEO things will be different?
My worry too. I had my 06's sandwich leak fixed in 2010 and haven't had a prob with the oil cooler fittings, but I have under 2500 miles on the car. "As necessary" for me would mean "you've not had the failure - yet" so I hope they'll do the right thing and replace fittings, leaking or not.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I meant to reply to you and realized I did not, sorry. I will put a call in to Jason on Monday to keep me updated on when the repairs are ready to be made and will report back to you. Also, I will only let Ritchie work on my car, especially after Mara's ordeal, and only after Nov 13 which is the last LCUSA event. I doubt any dealers would be ready and have the parts for the onslaught of cars before then anyways...
Thank you April. Same here, no one touches mine except Ritchie. Please PM me when you have the info :clap:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nothing you said indicates that Lotus will pay for installation of aftermarket lines. It's one thing if your service adviser is okay with something (on a car is out of factory warranty anyway), but whether Lotus will reimburse the dealership is another thing IMO.
Nothing you've said indicates that they WON'T pay for it, either. The dealer's service manager was the one who okayed the aftermarket oil line installation at their shop. He's gone to bat for me with Lotus in the past and has made good on a few things they've screwed up as well.

I realize that there are no guarantees, especially when dealing with Lotus, but it means more to me to have the peace of mind that better engineered oil lines bring than possibly having to do this all over again someday.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I haven't see anything that refers to why the hoses are blowing. If the design and part selection for the hoses is correct, it could be a poor crimp job. The crimp job can be inspected by simply putting a caliper on the OD of the crimp to see if it is within specification. If not, then you get replacement hoses. I deal with hydraulic hoses all the time and when we get them made the technician checks the crimp OD with a caliper to ensure it has been crimped within spec. Since we are dealing with making individual hoses, we check every crimp as it is done. With large quantity manufacturing like in auto manufacturing they are probably only spot checking. If the crimping dies are worn out or there is an issue with the tech not doing it right, problem with the machine, etc. then you have the potential for some bad hoses to make it through production.

My car is covered by the recall, but I'm currently out of the country. Sucks though closest dealer is 3 hour drive away.

·
Registered
334 Posts
To all concerned:

I received this email from Aston-Martin of New England (AMNE) an authorized Lotus shop outside of Boston:

"Lotus is working on a remedy and as soon as possible will notify the appropriate authorities, its customers and dealers and will provide a
timetable for completion.

As we are an authorized Lotus dealer, we would be able to complete the recall once it's release. Lotus has not given us a list of the vehicle involved in this recall but you will be notified by Lotus."

So if you are like me, not the original owner, you should get in touch with Lotus Cars USA and get your car listed with them. ([email protected]).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Back in August, I emailed Lotus Garage to see if they have improved factory oil cooler lines that might be cheaper then the RLS or NCI solution. Their lines cost about the same. This was their response:

"We have been told that this assembly resolves the issue. It includes the following updated parts all of which are held at Lotus' Distribution Center. It would take us roughly 1 week to bring them in for you.

As recommended by Lotus:

E120K0012F $112.18
hose, RH to LH oil cooler

A117W6729F $3.04 each (x3)
base tie wrap
A075W6038Z $1.53 each (x3)

A120K0027F $129.79
hose, oil cooler s/wich plate LH

B120K0028F $216.04
hose, oil cooler RH"

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I dropped my car off at Lotus of Atlanta today to get the oil lines replaced. As stated before, they found that one of mine was leaking at the engine compartment end during an oil change in June. I purchased RLS lines instead of relying on Lotus parts.

I asked the service manager to take plenty of photos and to save the old lines. I wanted to make sure that I have plenty of documentation concerning my leak, the cost to replace them, and the old lines in case there would be any doubt.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I talked to Rick MacLeish at Lotus yesterday. He said they will go by state registrations on the cars. So if you are 2nd or 8th owner, you will get the recall.

Interestingly he didn't have my info (couldn't track by VIN), though I am original owner on both cars.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
They are all built in Hethel, England, Europe :thwack:
i think he meant he wants a global recall off all cars around the world.

that would be up to each country/union to direct. or Lotus to issue service bulletins to all dealers globally with direction and funding to fix them.

the US is legislation and lawyer crazy.... thats why the french don't sell a single car here. and the italians are just starting to return.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Back in August, I emailed Lotus Garage to see if they have improved factory oil cooler lines that might be cheaper then the RLS or NCI solution. Their lines cost about the same. This was their response:

"We have been told that this assembly resolves the issue. It includes the following updated parts all of which are held at Lotus' Distribution Center. It would take us roughly 1 week to bring them in for you.

As recommended by Lotus:

E120K0012F $112.18
hose, RH to LH oil cooler

A117W6729F $3.04 each (x3)
base tie wrap
A075W6038Z $1.53 each (x3)

A120K0027F $129.79

B120K0028F $216.04
hose, oil cooler RH"
interesting - new sandwich plate - i think a couple people would like to see how that is different....

·
German Reimport
2,952 Posts
i think he meant he wants a global recall off all cars around the world.

that would be up to each country/union to direct. or Lotus to issue service bulletins to all dealers globally with direction and funding to fix them.

the US is legislation and lawyer crazy.... thats why the french don't sell a single car here. and the italians are just starting to return.
The German forums have a very similar debate going about the recall.

And the German dealerships know exactly as little as their US counter parts at this time. They know that it is coming but not what is involved.

So the recall does seem to be global from what I can tell.
I haven't checked seloc yet though...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A120K0027F $129.79

B120K0028F $216.04
hose, oil cooler RH"

interesting - new sandwich plate - i think a couple people would like to see how that is different....
I think it is referring to the hose from the sandwich plate to the LH oil cooler.

61 - 80 of 1102 Posts