The Lotus Cars Community banner

161 - 180 of 1102 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sounds like they're not really recalling anything. Just fixing cars that have already had their lines and or fittings give out on them. I don't expect much from lotus since they still haven't reimbursed me for the tow fees (just shy of $400) when my radiator exploded. (Even when they said they would)

·
Registered
471 Posts
subscribed.
Mine is an early 05 with no issue ...... so far. I'd rather have it fixed under recall than wait for it to fail

·
Registered
954 Posts
My car is currently getting its engine replaced by Lotus, yet there's still some question about whether the oil cooler and lines will be replaced at the same time. I believe the parts have been ordered (I know at least the oil cooler was), but Lotus hasn't given definite approval to replace the lines under the potential recall. The service writer is gunning for them to replace now and save themselves the possible hassle later. Will hopefully know more when I call to check in again tomorrow.

agirls and lotuscupcar: As I just now read through this whole thread, I saw your comments about my ordeal/our dealership. Not sure if either of you are aware, but Ritchie isn't there anymore. Jean is doing all the work. I'm not terribly excited about the idea given the work I'm having done, but I'm not in much of a position to negotiate currently.
Also, lotuscupcar, I had the same experience the first time I spoke to Rick about my car. He couldn't find my records, despite being the original owner. However, one of the following times I spoke with him, he had my whole history. Your information is bound to be stored somewhere. Then again, I don't get any invites from Lotus to things I'm apparently supposed to, based on whatever their "registry" is, so I could also be wrong.

I'll let you guys know if Lotus decides to address the recall issue while they already have my car torn apart.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Well. ****. Boo. Who the heck is Jean? Ritchie was the only reason I continued to take my car there (even though it is rare since I do maintenance myself). Gah! TO is so easy for me to get to. :(

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My car is currently getting its engine replaced by Lotus, yet there's still some question about whether the oil cooler and lines will be replaced at the same time. I believe the parts have been ordered (I know at least the oil cooler was), but Lotus hasn't given definite approval to replace the lines under the potential recall. The service writer is gunning for them to replace now and save themselves the possible hassle later. Will hopefully know more when I call to check in again tomorrow.

agirls and lotuscupcar: As I just now read through this whole thread, I saw your comments about my ordeal/our dealership. Not sure if either of you are aware, but Ritchie isn't there anymore. Jean is doing all the work. I'm not terribly excited about the idea given the work I'm having done, but I'm not in much of a position to negotiate currently.
Also, lotuscupcar, I had the same experience the first time I spoke to Rick about my car. He couldn't find my records, despite being the original owner. However, one of the following times I spoke with him, he had my whole history. Your information is bound to be stored somewhere. Then again, I don't get any invites from Lotus to things I'm apparently supposed to, based on whatever their "registry" is, so I could also be wrong.

I'll let you guys know if Lotus decides to address the recall issue while they already have my car torn apart.
Thanks for the info! Glad your car is being taken care of:clap: I learned of Ritchie's fate when I stopped by there earlier this week.

Appreciate keeping us posted

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Does the recall specify the failure point? I'm pretty sure my passenger side line is leaking but I think my driver side may be too. Hard to tell because I noticed there was oil sprayed in all directions in my engine bay.

I also noticed what looked to be some oil dripping out of my exhaust tips although that could just be soot/condensation right at start up and maybe I'm just being paranoid.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Yes, there is a link to the recall and if you open the documents, it explains the failure. It is the oil line crimps. Your link could be the crimps, or could be the fittings loosening up. I had a leak, about cried, and then realized it was just the fitting loosening up. Still not great but at least I can fix that myself.

·
Registered
954 Posts
So the oil cooler lines are on back-order right now (no big surprise), but Lotus did agree to replace them!
The engine is back in, the car is put back together, and everything seems to be in proper working order with the car. Just waiting for the lines to come in (Wednesday) before I pick her up.

·
Registered
949 Posts
So I just learned about this...out of retirement from the boards to ask: is Lotus going to reimburse me for the $1000+ I spent replacing my lines when they failed?

-_-

EDIT: Tried calling the 800 number in the recall description and got a busy signal. Cool.

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
Oil Line Recall

According to my understanding, notifications will not be scheduled until Lotus has enough parts to conduct the recall due to government regulations. I've been hacking it out between the dealership and Lotus USA for weeks. Although they've officially acknowledged the recall through NHTSA as of 10/14/11, nothing is being done about it until parts are available. My oil cooler lines are showing signs of starting to leak according to one of the techs. According to the dealership, Lotus told them it would be fine until parts are available and not to worry about it, even when they asked the question about a blow out with catastrophic engine failure.-eek- Anyone else run in to Lotus blowing them off when evidence is found of potential failure? :wallbang:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Found oil on the ground under the passenger oil cooler. Looks like mine is about to fail. I emailed John at Galpin and he asked me for my VIN and contact information so that Lotus could notify me when an actual recall is issued. I also got the following statement from him:

Lotus has identified a potential issue with regard to certain model year 2005, 2006 and some 2007 Lotus Elise and Exige vehicles.* The issue involves oil cooler hose leaks in USA specification vehicles manufactured before October 2006, when the part supplier changed its manufacturing process.*

Even though we believe that the issue affects only a small minority of vehicles, Lotus takes the safety of its customers as its highest priority and has therefore announced a voluntary recall of USA Elise and Exige models manufactured between 1 June 2004 and 30 November 2006 as a precautionary measure. While a leaking oil cooler hose could potentially pose a safety concern, Lotus is not aware at this time of any major incidents that have resulted from this condition.

Lotus is currently investigating whether this issue affects markets other than the USA. The results of this investigation combined with consultation with the relevant regulatory bodies where necessary will determine if any further precautionary measures are required by Lotus.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Are they leaking at the crimps or the fittings? If it's the fittings, tighten them. If it's the crimps, don't drive it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are they leaking at the crimps or the fittings? If it's the fittings, tighten them. If it's the crimps, don't drive it.
I haven't taken a look at them yet. I'll have a see when I have time. Until then it'll sit in the garage. Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware I could do that.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Remove the wheel and wheel liner for access. If it's the fitting, you will need two big wrenches, one on the oil cooler and one on the fitting. I do not remember the sizes, but not your average wrench.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I had the oil line of my '05 Elise "explode" about two weeks ago. It went straight to San Diego European. After 1.5 weeks, i have it back in my possession...completely fixed under the recall. The dealer still hasn't worked out the details with Lotus USA but they knew they'd get reimbursed so they completed the work and gave me the keys and said have a nice day.

I guess I'm the first person to successfully get my car fixed under this so called "recall."

Thoughts?!
I can email anyone who wants a copy of the RO that Lotus sent me to see what was actually done for the oil line fix. The file is too large too attach in this chat thread. Everything was fixed and I have no problems now!

161 - 180 of 1102 Posts