The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. I did search and read the plethora of posts regarding oil lines.

I have a late 2005 Elise with one oil cooler. I intend to replace the oil lines with the NCI/RLS oil line kit. I run the car as a daily driver, but am planning on a few HPDE days per year.

Should I add the 2nd oil cooler while I am replacing the oil lines? I have read that oil temps that are too low and may be detrimental - thereby arguing against adding the second cooler. However, if i don't add the second cooler, will the "pipe" that connects the front and driver's side oil lines be 2 remaining points of failure? Is this "pipe" a metal piece with some threaded ends, or is it a rubber hose with fittings?

Besides the right handed oil cooler, are there other brackets that are needed for the 2nd cooler?

thank you so much for a great community,
Beeswing

·
Registered
488 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe that S111 makes a kit that bypasses the passenger side pipe and is one complete line from the bottom of the drivers oil cooler all the way to the engine. Check it for yourself.

ONEcoolerLINES

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JWB,

That looks like an interesting option. But, I kind of had my heart set on the NCI/RLS offering. I will certainly consider it though.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I did the RLS replacement last fall. I pulled the front clam off to do it. Their kit swaps out the OEM hoses. I also have one cooler. On the right hand side where the second cooler would go was a threaded steel line. Your fine using the RLS package. They replace the three hoses and six fittings. By the way, I used the Sands Museum instructions to pull the clam and the RLS instructions to replace the hoses. While the clam was off I upgraded the horn. Drop me a note if you have questions about the line replacement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lotes111. Looks like I'll do the oil lines without a 2nd cooler then. I might as well do the radiator too since the clam will be off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts