The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was doing an oil change yesterday and found oil on the bottom of my flywheel. At further inspection it is engine oil but I couldn’t find where it was coming from. The only thing I could think of is the oil pan gasket is leaking. You can also see where it has dripped on my rear panel. It doesn't look like much has leaked. Any ideas… see pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hummm, friend of mine has/had the same problem with his 07 S. Was trying for months to get it repaired. New gaskets, sealants etc, all dealer/warrenty repairs. I know the problem was getting worse and worse. It has been a few months since I last talked but things weren't looking better for a solution. I think is theroy was a main seal. My your luck be better.

Staying vague as I really don't want cause him or Lotus problems if the solution got worked out.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Probably either the o-ring at the dipstick base or the sandwich plate. Both were leaking on my car and was fixed at the dealer under warranty.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably either the o-ring at the dipstick base or the sandwich plate. Both were leaking on my car and was fixed at the dealer under warranty.
I guess I need to make an apt at the dealer then! I hope it isn't a Chili Red thing :confused:, lol.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i've been through this what happens is when they convert to SC they change the dipstick tube. when they push it in they pinch and cut the 0ring at the base. dealers think its the breather plate but its the 0ring. its a easy DIY one bolt pull up the tube put a new 0ring on push the tube back in the block and reinstall the bolt. carl

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
i've been through this what happens is when the convert to SC they change the dipstick tube. when they push it in they pinch and cut the 0ring at the base. dealers think its the breather plate but its the 0ring. its a easy DIY one bolt pull up the tube put a new 0ring on push the tube back in the block and reinstall the bolt. carl
Carl, as usual, is correct :bow: We experienced this on my Cup240. Oil came from the dip stick tube, ran along the curvature of the oil pan and ended up at the flywheel inspection point. Very often there would also be a drop of oil on the bottom of the filter, as well as some oily film on the filter housing making one think that the leak was coming from the fittings and/or the sandwich plate above the filter.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've been through this what happens is when they convert to SC they change the dipstick tube. when they push it in they pinch and cut the 0ring at the base. dealers think its the breather plate but its the 0ring. its a easy DIY one bolt pull up the tube put a new 0ring on push the tube back in the block and reinstall the bolt. carl
Has anyone done any DIY instructions on how to do this and also what parts are needed?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
just order the oring from toyota it's like $3 you can see the one bolt near the top of the dipstick tube. you need to have the car in the air and re-insert the tube from under the car so you dont pinch the 0ring like lotus did. carl

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Carl,

Do you know of the o-ring being a problem with the NA Elise? I have a persistent leak, in spite of three dealer attempts to stop it (new sandwich plate/etc -- but never messing with dipstick tube AFAIK). I haven't tracked as far as the tube in my search for the cause yet.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
it's on page 30 of the factory pdf for the SC install i have it on my desktop but i dont know how to link the pdf. carl
I don't have that page or I'd post it for you. I've got the 2 Exige S supplements but not the SC install pdf.

All mine says is:

6. Remove and discard breather spout from LH side of crankcase, but retain connector hose. Fit new spout using original fixings (10 Nm) and refit connector hose. Fit new breather pipe into connector hose and to cam cover using original fixings. Fit new dipstick tube into position.

No pics.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i havent seen it on the elise, the dipstick tubes are put in when the engine is built. the SC cars they have to switch the tube which lotus does therefore the problem. but it could be, the way to check is to clean the bottom of the tube where it goes into the block then wrap some duct tape around it sealing the tube to the block. drive for a few hundred miles if theres oil under the tape the 0ring is leaking thats how i figured it out. carl

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Carl is right, I had the same thing. Just remember when you are doing it to pull the dipstick out first! :sad: Don't ask why I know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts