The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to track my 05 SC Elise for the first full weekend. Do you think it is ok to do so with the stock oil pan? I am probably going to track the car 4 to 5 times a year. Is it worth it to change to the Moroso?
Thanks for your input-
Jay

·
Registered
378 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm putting off tracking the little bomb till the Moroso's installed; doesn't take but an instant to make that sweet engine a goner.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes -- maybe since you aren't sc'd you don't need to worry about fuel as much, but oiling is an absolute must. :thwack:

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,408 Posts
.. are you running slicks? If not, I don't think you should be so worried. What track? Are there large sweeping turns? I OFTEN see many Loti at the track, many do not have new oil pans. The SC folks (ahem me) need to worry more about fuel slosh I would think. If you are running stock tires (AD07s?) and sizes I really don't think it should be a concern IMHO.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil Pan

The car is supercharged. I plan to keep the tank full. I also for now am on stock wheels and 07s.
Is replacing the toe links a must from the start?

I will be at VIR next weekend.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Supercharged

Yes -- maybe since you aren't sc'd you don't need to worry about fuel as much, but oiling is an absolute must. :thwack:
It is supercharged--Cannot just keep the tank full?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I have been tracking for years without a Moroso. The last year SC'd. I do plan to get one soon. I just make sure I'm full.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Is replacing the toe links a must from the start?
just get the rear toe link brace, AND make sure to check that they are torqued properly before each trackday.
its easy to check them, maybe even check them more than once each day.
if you dont have a torque wrench, its time to buy one.

you need to check your wheel lug nuts anyway each session also( when they are cold, not hot after a session)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Don't kid yourself with tracking with the stock oil pan. It only holds 4 qts. Now take away oil in the engine and filter and you don't have much left, maybe 3 qts. at best for sloshing around in there. The stock pan has no baffles so it's going to be throwing oil against the side walls of the pan in ALL turns, worse in the high speed high G one's and also in the heavy braking zones.

All that engine needs is a few seconds without oil and you'll spin a bearing. Come on doc, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Everyone wants to take short cuts and skimp and in the end it costs a lot more in time, aggravation and money.

I've been racing 43 years now. Don't learn the hard way, take some well seasoned advice.

An oil pan and or an Accusump is what is needed. Look at the 2-Eleven and Cup cars, they all have these things done to them. Now why would that be?

Same goes for the rear toe link brace. The stock one is inferior for track use. Break one of those at speed and the car is out of control. Now that is going to probably be very expensive fix and could even wind up as a fatality. Just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
An oil pan and or an Accusump is what is needed. Look at the 2-Eleven and Cup cars, they all have these things done to them. Now why would that be?
Because they run slicks. :)

I personally think if he's running on stock wheels and the AD07's he will be fine. He won't be pulling the g's needed to stick all that oil to one side. Now if he moves up to stickier tires, then yes, I would do the oil pan at the same time.

As for the brace, do it asap. Even the stock S brace is better than none.

For what it's worth I tracked for half a year without the moroso, but was on street tires. I did get the pan before going to R888's.

Now for fuel, just don't let it get below half a tank. On most DE days that gets you through the first half of the day and I fill up at lunch. For tracks that have fuel on site, I normally fill up after each session. I drive there after checking tire pressures which is right after I pit.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
As for the brace, do it asap. Even the stock S brace is better than none.
The stock Exige S (without Track Pack) does not have a brace right?

·
Registered
787 Posts
These cars don't pull that much more G's with slicks or without in turns. hey barely hit 1G. I've run both AO48 and Hoosier slicks and they pull about the same in the turns. The wheels haven't got a thing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The stock Exige S (without Track Pack) does not have a brace right?
I don't think it does. But the one here in town (was bought used) had the Lotus brace already on it. My 06 Exige, non-track pack did not.

You can look under the car and tell. If there is a bar going across the bottom of the rear subframe you have it. If you can see the bolt head going directly into the subframe then you don't.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I don't think it does. But the one here in town (was bought used) had the Lotus brace already on it. My 06 Exige, non-track pack did not.

You can look under the car and tell. If there is a bar going across the bottom of the rear subframe you have it. If you can see the bolt head going directly into the subframe then you don't.
Thanks! Gotta pull the panel to see it right?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If you have the track pack on your 07 Exige S, you have the Lotus brace. Not as strong as the Sector 111 brace, but probably good for now.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Nope, no track pack...I'll probably add the Sector one soon.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Wow - I see a lot of paranoia for a driver taking his Lotus out on the track - I didn't realize so many oil starvations were taking place, I understand about having an "insurance" policy but unless this driver is running full tilt with much more powerful cars I just don't see the need "yet" until he is driving with slicks and making this a track warrior - I disagree on the tires not being a factor - you can't convince me that he can pull the same G'S with stock tires than with slicks. No logic in that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
FWIW, I ran about 25 or 30 instructor-level track days on 048's (2005 Elise) with the stock pan before finally putting in a Bemani pan this year. So far I still have no evidence of wear problems at 38K miles and 40+ days, and little oil consumption on track. I do keep the oil topped up carefully though.

I put on the Bemani for peace of mind more than anything else.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
These cars don't pull that much more G's with slicks or without in turns. hey barely hit 1G. I've run both AO48 and Hoosier slicks and they pull about the same in the turns. The wheels haven't got a thing to do with it.
That just makes no sense, Im peaking around 1.7g's with sustained g's in the 1.3-1.4 range on 225/245 RA1's. This is measured with a traqmate, even the chasecam which samples g's much slower gets into the 1.4-1.5g range. I would expect even higher readings with Hoosiers.

If you did not pull more g's with slicks how would they make you faster?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts