The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i went for my cars 1k service yesterday. I have an 07 exige S

I Brought my own oil and was charged $198 for the service. I was told that I had boken in the car just fine and that my waranty was still active.

During the oil change they noticed a minor oil leak and determined the oil pan was not sealed properly and classified it as a factory defect.

In days to come they said they wanted to do an inernal inspection to make sure nothing else was wrong and to reseal the oil pan.

Just thought this would b something interesting for all u to know. The techs there said they hadnt encountered an elise/exige with this problem before.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

I Brought my own oil and was charged $198 for the service. I was told that I had boken in the car just fine and that my waranty was still active.

During the oil change they noticed a minor oil leak and determined the oil pan was not sealed properly and classified it as a factory defect.

In days to come they said they wanted to do an inernal inspection to make sure nothing else was wrong and to reseal the oil pan.

Just thought this would b something interesting for all u to know. The techs there said they hadnt encountered an elise/exige with this problem before.
Although rare, it does happen, just not that early...or at least, it's not detected. The oil pan doesn't use a traditional gasket, but a liquid sealant. I guess it's possible the seal wasn't complete, or that the pan was warped.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
dont let them pull the pan it's the O-ring on the dipstick tube a 45min fix . carl

·
Banned
34 Posts
Politically Incorrect

Sounds like someone may be out to trim you for some $$. I owned a Z06 Corvette and was charged $95 just for an oil change...however, upon inspection of the receipt, I quickly noticed that the dealership charged me nearly $10 per quart (7 total) of the Mobil-One Synthetic required. At the local Walmart, I can purchase those same quarts at $4 per quart. I immediately contacted the dealership and put the verbal smack-down!

My experienced suggestion: Be on guard for those who advise you of both initial expenses and that additional work is needed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like someone may be out to trim you for some $$. I owned a Z06 Corvette and was charged $95 just for an oil change...however, upon inspection of the receipt, I quickly noticed that the dealership charged me nearly $10 per quart (7 total) of the Mobil-One Synthetic required. At the local Walmart, I can purchase those same quarts at $4 per quart. I immediately contacted the dealership and put the verbal smack-down!

My experienced suggestion: Be on guard for those who advise you of both initial expenses and that additional work is needed.

its all covered under warranty so i have no worries

·
Registered
377 Posts
Carl is right. You don't want them to pop your pan if it won't fix the problem. Check the O ring first as this is a common problem. Splitting the pan is not an easy task as the sealant must be cut. The replacement must be carefully applied as well, since if done improperly you can end up with gobs of sealant in your filter or the passages that go to the filter.

Jerry

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just noticed what appears to be a slight oil leak. One of the undertray vents looked dirty like when there is oil around to have it stick. Looked up with a flashlight and could see a drop of oil on the bottom of the filter and reached up enough to feel oil on it. I am concerned. It's an '07 Exige. Going in next week for first service. Any ideas of the source?

·
Premium Member
11,893 Posts
Oil flows down, not up (unless signficant pressure is involved). It's a gravity thing. So, to find the source, go that way.

For hard to see leaks, clean the entire area & sprinkle talcum powder on it.
An auto engineer friend prefers Desenex; it adheres better.

The source will be evident v quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Just noticed what appears to be a slight oil leak. One of the undertray vents looked dirty like when there is oil around to have it stick. Looked up with a flashlight and could see a drop of oil on the bottom of the filter and reached up enough to feel oil on it. I am concerned. It's an '07 Exige. Going in next week for first service. Any ideas of the source?

I'll bet it's ... the dipstick tube O-ring.... ;)

Been there and done that on several S cars.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts