The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a baffled oilpan for my stock 111r. I track my car about 2-5 times å year.

Has anyone installed the the QRP oil pan from monkeywrenchracing?QRP Oil Pan - 2ZZ-GE - Direct Replacement with Baffle

Also this looks to be exactly the same oilpan as the elise-spares: Baffled Sump - Lotus Elise Exige 2-11 with Toyota 2ZZ Engine

Monkeywrench says that a Moroso oil pan is recommended for track use, but elise-spares says that they have no failure in three years.. so wondering if the QRP will be good enough for my use.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Get the OEM Style. I know some people have oil over-cooling with the Moroso pan.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
what tires are you using? The stickier they are, the more you need to consider something like the moroso. One comment on the moroso though - if you ever need to change out your wishbone bushings, its going to be a pain in the ass for the lower rear right one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what tires are you using? The stickier they are, the more you need to consider something like the moroso. One comment on the moroso though - if you ever need to change out your wishbone bushings, its going to be a pain in the ass for the lower rear right one.
Nankang ns-2r tires are on the car right now, quite happy with them

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You just cut the old bolt and tap the new one with a hammer, ez

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
You just cut the old bolt and tap the new one with a hammer, ez
[holy thread drift batman]
wait if you can get a new bolt in, how come you cannot get the old one out. Is it the orientation?

[back on topic ish]

A Lt'er has insulated his oil pan which seems wise when using an aftermarket pan, to prevent overcooling.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
[holy thread drift batman]
wait if you can get a new bolt in, how come you cannot get the old one out. Is it the orientation?

[back on topic ish]

A Lt'er has insulated his oil pan which seems wise when using an aftermarket pan, to prevent overcooling.
The moroso pan is deeper and it gets in the way of pulling the old bolt out, so you must cut it. @kfennell did you put the new bolt in from the other side? All the other pans (BOE, Inokintic, etc) I believe have a relief cut out of the pan so you can get that bolt out as intended. I wasn't that lucky and I didn't want to cut it. With my original GPAN, which has this same problem, I was able to use a screw jack to push the engine to the left and get clearance to pull the bolt out.

I don't see thread drift here... downstream repercussions for the mods discussed is reasonable. It seems many times when I make a change I end up cursing for lack of such things being mentioned :censored:

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
757 Posts
Be sure to put in an oil temp sensor and gauge when you go to a gated pan. There's plenty of documentation that the stock pan is not adequate for track use with sticky tires (oil pickup is uncovered in turns), and there's also documentation that the bigger pans do result in lower than desirable oil temperatures. On track this is a good thing, but not generally in on-road use. Your 111R probably has the EU/UK oil-water cooler, which will help as it heats the oil with the engine coolant if it's below engine coolant temperature.

Our US 111 R Fed cars have the Persian Gulf cooling package (single or dual front oil-air coolers), which is great for track use in Oman, but not good on the street.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The moroso pan is deeper and it gets in the way of pulling the old bolt out, so you must cut it. @kfennell did you put the new bolt in from the other side? All the other pans (BOE, Inokintic, etc) I believe have a relief cut out of the pan so you can get that bolt out as intended. I wasn't that lucky and I didn't want to cut it. With my original GPAN, which has this same problem, I was able to use a screw jack to push the engine to the left and get clearance to pull the bolt out.

I don't see thread drift here... downstream repercussions for the mods discussed is reasonable. It seems many times when I make a change I end up cursing for lack of such things being mentioned :censored:
I just put the new bolt in like normal. The oil pan is only BARELY in the way and there is enough room to line up the bolt in the wishbone then just help it in to place past the oil pan with the hammer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be sure to put in an oil temp sensor and gauge when you go to a gated pan. There's plenty of documentation that the stock pan is not adequate for track use with sticky tires (oil pickup is uncovered in turns), and there's also documentation that the bigger pans do result in lower than desirable oil temperatures. On track this is a good thing, but not generally in on-road use. Your 111R probably has the EU/UK oil-water cooler, which will help as it heats the oil with the engine coolant if it's below engine coolant temperature.

Our US 111 R Fed cars have the Persian Gulf cooling package (single or dual front oil-air coolers), which is great for track use in Oman, but not good on the street.
I have a fed Elise with dual oil coolers. I see some people buying a 1zz oil pan and installing. Will this pan be enough to prevent oil starvation? As said I only do 3-5 track days a year and alot of street driving.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
757 Posts
I haven't seen any research done on the 1ZZ pan as Inokinetic did when they developed the gPan for the 2ZZ back in 2006 or so. It's possible that it might help. Toyota said they changed the pan design for the 2ZZ to no windage tray from the 1ZZ design because it caused more oil windage than no tray did.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
112 Posts
I daily the car, so I don't spend half an hour warming up the car. I'm soft on it till it spends some time stabilized at 180-185F, so hearing the moroso pan overcools the oil and has other quirks makes me wish I hadn't just bought one waiting to be installed with a supercharger.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I daily the car, so I don't spend half an hour warming up the car. I'm soft on it till it spends some time stabilized at 180-185F, so hearing the moroso pan overcools the oil and has other quirks makes me wish I hadn't just bought one waiting to be installed with a supercharger.
I have heard that the overcooling from the moroso or other pans that hold 1L ekstra of oil will not contribute significantly to the overcooling issue. What is the best alternativ then for people who mostly use the car on the street but still want to track their car?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a fed Elise with dual oil coolers. I see some people buying a 1zz oil pan and installing. Will this pan be enough to prevent oil starvation? As said I only do 3-5 track days a year and alot of street driving.
The 1ZZ pan offers no real improvement. I took mine off my MR2 Spyder (which has the 1ZZ engine as stock) and fitted the Moroso.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I have heard that the overcooling from the moroso or other pans that hold 1L ekstra of oil will not contribute significantly to the overcooling issue. What is the best alternativ then for people who mostly use the car on the street but still want to track their car?
The problem is, I think, not the extra oil. It is the efficiency of the aluminum at transferring heat out of the oil

Owners with alloy pans have reported low oil temps, like 150s, even with a better thermostat, or no oil coolers.

If I needed a pan for track use, I think I would insulate it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts