The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stoked. I think my car has a Moroso pan on it. I've been getting it into shape to track it and when I pulled the wheel today just to make sure there wasn't a good pan on there already before ordering one. I was amazed to see welded aluminum. It looks like it has kickout facing forward and a drain plug facing rearward. Unfortunately, it appears to be leaking.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like the Moroso; the Gpan, and TOC pan don't feature the kick outs. Pretty common for the Moroso to leak thru the stud threads, and at the nut/stud point. How do I know this?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a photo of the oil pan.

I finally got the oil line recall done and am now cleaning up the mess because that was apparently not part of the recall. Actually, I thought that the lines were part of the recall, but all they did was cut the ends off and replace the fittings.

There still appears to be oil leaking, but it must be from some higher area - not the pan seal, although the studs may be weeping a bit. The charcoal canister has oil all over it. It could be the crank seal I suppose.

This is shot from the backside underside of the engine. The oil filter is in the right side of the photo and the oil looks to be fresh on this accessory. I'm not sure which accessory it is - maybe AC compressor.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
That doesn't look like a Gpan.........

The oil leak you have is most likely your dipstick tube. Easy fix, a bit blind but you can find an o-ring at most auto parts stores.

Pull dipstick out Jimmy, remove bolt on the tube bracket, pull up to unseat it, get under car and find the tube, you can see it above the filter, use a scribe or small screw stick to get the seal off, mine fell apart in pieces, put new seal on, seat it back in the hole on the block. Easy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
bad batch of early Moroso pans

I purchased a Moroso oil pan for my 2006 Exige in 2007 and had a bunch of problems. It leaked like a sieve. Long story short, I had to have the gasket / matting surface re-machined, the drain plug washer surface re-machined, and a helicoil installed. The pan must have been warped by the welding and the machining was awful, very poor workmanship. I later heard there was a bad batch and Moroso was replacing them at no cost.

Steve
St. Louis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts