The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the '93 (production date 11/92) Esprit in the garage for 2 weeks now. We're just getting to know each other. It's a hell of a car.

My problem, the oil pressure gauge pegs itself when the ignition is turned on. I know I have oil pressure. I road tripped it home from CT via Chatham, NY. I’ve studied the wiring diagram and I understand the circuit, I think. The gauge is grounded through the pressure sensor. The sensor is located above the starter under the intake plenum. 2 wires, one for the light, one for the gauge. Barring some wiring fault it’s probably the sensor, right? Once I get to the sensor if I remove the gauge wire and the gauge doesn’t move with the ignition on, its’ the sensor, right??

So is the above correct or did I miss something? Where should I purchase the sensor? I found one in the UK for $170. I will if I have to but there's gotta be something cheaper, right?? It just looks GM. How far back do I need to remove the intake to get to the sensor? What gaskets will I need? Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks, do appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think there is generic substitute for the sensor. Jim Knowles figured it out a while ago...Jim are you out there?

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I have a spare 0-5bar oil sender taht I accidentally bought on sale from Lotus. My 89SE actually needed a 0-10 bar sender.

From page 17-07A in the '88-'92 parts list:
Gauge, oil pressure, 0 - 5 bar A089N6010F )
Sender/Switch*, oil pressure gauge/low oil ) Prior VIN + + VIN 82/85 D 3344
pressure tell tale, 0 - 7 bar A082N6058F ) 82/85 - 1085
Gauge, oil pressure, 0 - 7 bar A082N6061F > F - 2448
Sender/Switch* , oil pressure gauge/low oil > From VIN + Engine No. 25317
pressure tell tale, 0 - 10 bar A082N6062F >
Cheers,
Sanj
THe spare one is the clean one on the right

The sender is right behind the oil filter, and above the starter

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
My problem, the oil pressure gauge pegs itself when the ignition is turned on. I know I have oil pressure. I road tripped it home from CT via Chatham, NY. I’ve studied the wiring diagram and I understand the circuit, I think. The gauge is grounded through the pressure sensor. The sensor is located above the starter under the intake plenum. 2 wires, one for the light, one for the gauge. Barring some wiring fault it’s probably the sensor, right? Once I get to the sensor if I remove the gauge wire and the gauge doesn’t move with the ignition on, its’ the sensor, right??
Are you sure the two wires are attached correctly? Does the oil idiot light work?

Travis' sender won't work, you need the 10 bar one, too.

·
Registered
576 Posts
yes make sure the wiring is right, JAE sells the Lotus oil sender which is over $200... I know cause I bought one
There was a thread earlier this year on aftermarket senders that worked for like $40. Might have been on the Turboesprit site.

Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts