The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very strange, today, under normal driving circumstances, I noticed my oil pressure gauge was pegged at 80. At idle, it drops to 60, any throttle, pegs it.

Turned it off, let it sit an hour, came back, same thing. Drove home, at a redlight I noticed it down to 20, but under throttle again, back to 80.

What the hell is going on? Thats not possible is it? Bad sensor or gauge? Any thing I can check to ensure this isnt an actual mechanical problem?:panic:

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
during a recent FF race my low pressure warning light started flashing while i was winning my race. I checked my other digital psi indicator on my stack dash unit, and it said everything was fine.
I decided to stay on the track and go for the win.
turned out the warning light sender was broken on my idiot light on the dash, and my oil psi was fine.
since replacing the idoit light sender, it has just went out again after only one race.

I would guess first place to check is the gauge itself.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
during a recent FF race my low pressure warning light started flashing while i was winning my race. I checked my other digital psi indicator on my stack dash unit, and it said everything was fine.
I decided to stay on the track and go for the win.
turned out the warning light sender was broken on my idiot light on the dash, and my oil psi was fine.
since replacing the idoit light sender, it has just went out again after only one race.

I would guess first place to check is the gauge itself.
This is what I am hoping for, but there isnt a way my oil pressure could really be that high right? I mean it should be in the 30s-40s I believe. If, theoretically the pressure was this high, is it actually possible for oil pressure to be too high? I mean, I guess the lines could blow off, which Id notice right away, but other than that what could be affected?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morning bump, still like this on the drive to work

·
Registered
787 Posts
This is what I am hoping for, but there isnt a way my oil pressure could really be that high right? I mean it should be in the 30s-40s I believe. If, theoretically the pressure was this high, is it actually possible for oil pressure to be too high? I mean, I guess the lines could blow off, which Id notice right away, but other than that what could be affected?
I regularly run @ 80 PSI at higher RPM's. Our Diasio runs at 120 PSI. You are just moving the oil around faster. I'd be more concerned if there were drops in pressure. The stock oil pan is worthless in high speed sustained turns which is why the Moroso pan is used. Check your oil for foam. If it is then you are getting cavitation and look to the oil pump and or filter.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I regularly run @ 80 PSI at higher RPM's. Our Diasio runs at 120 PSI. You are just moving the oil around faster. I'd be more concerned if there were drops in pressure. The stock oil pan is worthless in high speed sustained turns which is why the Moroso pan is used. Check your oil for foam. If it is then you are getting cavitation and look to the oil pump and or filter.
Checked last night, no foam, oil looks good. Now my pressure was never this high before, and nothing has changed. It went from being 20-40 to being 60-80 over night.

Oh, and I have a moroso pan as well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Pressure in the Accusump fitted to my car = engine oil pressure. And I've noticed large variability in the Accusump reading, including commonly up to 80psi. So, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. TADTS.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pressure in the Accusump fitted to my car = engine oil pressure. And I've noticed large variability in the Accusump reading, including commonly up to 80psi. So, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. TADTS.
Thanks for the replies guys, Ill be listening/feeling for any other problems, but, at this point im going to just ignore that gauge.

Now if my stock dummy light goes off, ill worry:panic:

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
Haven't had a chance to look this up, but some oil pumps have a pressure relief valve, often a spring-loaded affair, and these can stick.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
FWIW, my experience with several 'Loti' is that the oil pressure when cold will be above 80 PSI at idle and will drop as the oil heats up. Hot oil at idle will be about 25 PSI and at high RPM's will get back up to ~80+ PSI. During some high G turns HOT oil pressure can drop to 45 PSI.

Btw, the factory oil pressure "idiot" light is set to come on at 7 PSI. :crazyeyes

·
Registered
787 Posts
Did you change to a different weight of motor oil?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you change to a different weight of motor oil?
Nope, royal purple 10w30 the last 2 changes, and its got 5k on the clock since the last change.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Oil changes

I'd change the oil anyway. 5,000 miles is a lot if you are running the car hard. We change ours along with the filter at least every 100 miles of track use and 2,500 on our daily drivers. You would be surprised how fast oil breaks down. It sounds like overkill but that's 5 really good track sessions. Like tires, oil has heat cycles too.

We've tried Royal Purple, Castrol, etc. but we like Mobil1 the best. The RP is just way too expensive and over rated. It is better to change the oil and filter more frequently. Get an oil filter cutting tool and see what the filter is actually catching.

My son is a M-B certified tech that went through the Mercedes-Benz school as well as UTI (gas and diesel) so he's up on all the latest in this area. The Newman Haas guy that works on our Diasio will ONLY use Mobil 1 for the engine as well as the Hewland transaxle. Need I say more!

We broke down the Diasio engine at the end of last season to freshen it and there was no wear at all. Seals and bearings were fine after 1500 miles of pure hard 9,000 RPM track use. A fellow Diasio owner has run over 4,500 miles over the past 3 seasons and no wear there either. Like me, he changes his oil frequently. If he does a race weekend, the oil and filter get changed at the end of the event. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am wondering if there is any correclation to this sudden change with your car

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/so-i-got-bored-went-drag-strip-69074/
I doubt there is, why would this symptom occur almost a week later?

I didnt hit the car all that hard, 4500rpm launches, 1 1/8th mile run every half hour for 3 hours, hell autoX is 10x harder on a car than that.

Pulled the tray, exhaust off, taking a good look today, dont see any leaks, or anything out of place. Changing the oil today too.

·
Registered
611 Posts
So, I just finished my sensor install. I was hitting 80psi before the oil warmed up while driving, around 40 idle. After I warmed up, it was around 60-70 driving and 24 idle. My temp said I was around 170 when it stopped rising. These are both taken at a oil filter sandwich plate on a N/A 05. Just a FYI for the records :)

I thought it was a little strange, but she was sitting in the garage for a few days, in the low 50s temp. I'll change the oil in the next few weeks and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
This is interesting I am running a glowshift oil pressure gauge off a sandwich plate. I noticed 80-90 psi at anything over 2k rpm. At idle it was around 40-50 even warmed up. I changed the oild Sunday and same problem. I also noticed that there is 20 psi residual pressure after shutting off engine. This may be due to the drainback valve in the K&N 2009 filter. Not sure. The way I see it is if it shows oil pressure I am happy. The sending units are cheap at $15 I should have just bought another and replaced it. I will do that at my next oil change and let everyone know the results. I would like to find out why this is happening but I do not think it is damaging. Tommy

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Fluctuating oil pressure is perfectly normal.

Oil pressure will vary with RPM. At low RPM, the oil pump delivers enough oil for lubrication, but the flow and pressure are low. At cruise speed, the pump is providing greater flow, and oil pressure increases (eventually to a regulated maximum). The oil pump on the 2ZZ is mechanical.

I have a Defi oil pressure setup and the pressure goes to about 100 when the engine and oil are cold.

Once warm, the pressure sits at 80-90 at speed and around 30 at idle.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Wayne, thats exactly what happens with mine. Doing some searching and it seems the glowshift sensors are of low quality and break often from vibration. Most that have this problem replaced there sending units and the pressure returned to normal.Oh well Tommy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts