The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
Another oil thread, this could be dangerous!

Anyway, I used Royal Purple 0W40 with over 30 track days and I believe not because Royal Purple is superior compare to any other synthetics. Good oil to consider is Motul 6000V, Redline, Liqui Moly, Castrol, Mobil1, etc.

I change oil every 3 track days or around 1500 miles. Transmission fluid every 5 track days, flush brake system also 5 track days, and coolant once every two year. I believe this maintenance saved my car from any reliability issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
has anyone ever used the eneos 0-50?

Another one I've been looking into is the Rotella T6.

does anyone have feedback on these?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Mobil one 5w-40 turbo diesel.
I searched all around today for mobil one 5-40. Is this turbo diesal the same stuff? Safe to use on our cars? Options are slim where I live thanks.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
has anyone ever used the eneos 0-50?
i use Eneos 5w40... one of the better fully synthetic oils on the market

use to run mobil1 before i tried Eneos (mobil1 viscosity isn't as stable as the #'s indicate imo, i just burnt too much of it once the mileage went over 2k)...

i always see very good data on Amsoil as well (that would probably be my 2nd choice if i couldn't source Eneos easily anymore)

i personally would never run royal purple since it shears badly for a synthetic... seen too many iffy Blackstone results on that stuff

***side note*** i run Castrol GTX (non syn) in my daily driver (civic)... it continues to put up great result from blackstone labs as well for a non-syn oil (very low metal wear/particle count which is great for higher mileage engines)

'bobistheoilguy' website has some really great info on it as well... thats probably the place to go to really get accurate feedback about what oils are preferred (outside of getting your own oil tested)

also, these oil threads will never go away & i normally avoid them since i tend to ramble on a bit about the different oils on the market... but i figure ill throw my 2 cents here

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use the mobil 5w-40 turbodiesel oil too. It does have a spec on the container for gasoline engine use. it is API SJ. That is an older gasoline spec that allowed more zddp. Zddp is good for our cams, but supposedly not as good long term for the cat, so new oils contain less of it. Diesel engines have no cat, so more zddp is allowed. Walmart has the oil in large jugs, was 26.83 for a jug last time i bought it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the mobil 5w-40 turbodiesel oil too. It does have a spec on the container for gasoline engine use. it is API SJ. That is an older gasoline spec that allowed more zddp. Zddp is good for our cams, but supposedly not as good long term for the cat, so new oils contain less of it. Diesel engines have no cat, so more zddp is allowed. Walmart has the oil in large jugs, was 26.83 for a jug last time i bought it.
This is why I was looking into the Rotella T6. Its a synthetic oil made mainly for diesel trucks, and they contain a lot of Zinc. Its bad for the cat but I figured it might work. It's also really inexpensive, and can be bought at walmart.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I use 5W-40 Rotella T6. Love the high ZDDP.

I really wish someone made a nice 0W-30 (with more zinc/phos), as honestly my oil pressure is a little higher than I would like with the off-the-shelf 40 T6 in there. Even on track I still see full pressure in the mid range.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Hard to be disappointed with redline when doing a tear down...

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
Was using Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbodiesel when I can find it, but last few oil changes I've used Shell Rotella 5W-40 and it has held up very well to my usual 5 tracks/change.
Royal Purple in the tranny has worked fine for me. No issues and have changed it once a few years ago and will do so at end of this year. The Royal Purple will have 20-22 track days on it so we'll see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Rotella T6, might be been just me but it seemed to run smoother.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts