The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Lotus Owners!

I just wanted to let you know that our service department is offering a special on your next oil & filter service. The regular price is $245. The Lotustalk.com price for any Elise or Exige is $135, good through September 16th! For all of you Lotus Challenge Series winners, that means we'll owe you some change back! Just call Lea & mention this post to schedule an appointment.

Happy motoring,
Kevin Smith
Lotus of Newport Beach
Sales- (949) 515-6200
Service- (949) 270-1000

·
Registered
423 Posts
Specially trained Lotus monkeys

·
Registered
107 Posts
:eek:
I also don't own one yet, does this require a LOT more than I'd expect?
I'm used to having to remove under-car bodywork to drain the oil, but also used to that being a matter of 10 screws..

That said, 110 off of an oil and filter sounds pretty good. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kevin
Oil change only... or schedulled service (check toe links, check suspencion, check for bolts torque and tigthen them, and all the additional checks) special?
Thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'll be taking my car in for the oil service early tomorrow morning. Didn't realize Lotus of NB moved since the last time I was there. I was on the road all day today so I forgot to call them to verify their address. I know they used to have separate sales and service sites.

Can anyone tell me where their service dept is located? PCH? If I don't hear from anyone, I guess I'll just call them while on my way there tomorrow AM.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'll be taking my car in for the oil service early tomorrow morning. Didn't realize Lotus of NB moved since the last time I was there. I was on the road all day today so I forgot to call them to verify their address. I know they used to have separate sales and service sites.

Can anyone tell me where their service dept is located? PCH? If I don't hear from anyone, I guess I'll just call them while on my way there tomorrow AM.
The Lotus sales department moved to their Bentley, Rolls and Spyker facility but service is where it has always been...on 17th st.

If you take the 55 FWY South until it ends and make a right on 17th, just a couple blocks down, you'll see their service department on the righthand side.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The Lotus sales department moved to their Bentley, Rolls and Spyker facility but service is where it has always been...on 17th st.

If you take the 55 FWY South until it ends and make a right on 17th, just a couple blocks down, you'll see their service department on the righthand side.
Thanks a million!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Greetings Lotus Owners!

I just wanted to let you know that our service department is offering a special on your next oil & filter service. The regular price is $245. The Lotustalk.com price for any Elise or Exige is $135, good through September 16th! For all of you Lotus Challenge Series winners, that means we'll owe you some change back! Just call Lea & mention this post to schedule an appointment.

Happy motoring,
Kevin Smith
Lotus of Newport Beach
Sales- (949) 515-6200
Service- (949) 270-1000
sounds good, im almost due for my 15K, just wondering if that is included in that price and what is involved in the 15K service

thanx!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
YES, AT THOSE PRiCES, IT DOESN'T TAKE LONG TO AFFORD A LIFT.
oops, caps on...
those numbers shock a cheapskate like me. :thwack:
sam

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The regular $245 price, or whatever other dealerships charge within that range, does seem way too high. But I'd be surprised if they actually have much net/net profit left after doing it for $135.

I would do them for $100 all day long in my driveway, but I don't have to pay for Technician school, Snap-on tools, used oil disposal service, employee benefit burden, air conditioning, etc.

Even on a lift in a good service shop, it's going to take half an hour. There's sixty bucks in labor. The filter/oil probably have direct cost to them of $25 or so. Add in indirect costs and overhead and you're right up there.

xtn

·
Registered
758 Posts
The regular $245 price, or whatever other dealerships charge within that range, does seem way too high. But I'd be surprised if they actually have much net/net profit left after doing it for $135.

I would do them for $100 all day long in my driveway, but I don't have to pay for Technician school, Snap-on tools, used oil disposal service, employee benefit burden, air conditioning, etc.

Even on a lift in a good service shop, it's going to take half an hour. There's sixty bucks in labor. The filter/oil probably have direct cost to them of $25 or so. Add in indirect costs and overhead and you're right up there.

xtn
The synthetic oil is about $5 a quart and the filters are $6 from any Toyota dealer. The Toyota dealer does mine in about 20 minutes.

If a Toyota dealer can do it and make a profit at $60, so can a Lotus dealer.

This is the kind of crap that makes people buy other cars.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
^i have not seen any toyota dealers around my parts that will change the oil in my lotus?

i think the $245 price includes torquing the proper bolts, checking toe links and suspension parts etc?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The synthetic oil is about $5 a quart and the filters are $6 from any Toyota dealer. The Toyota dealer does mine in about 20 minutes.

If a Toyota dealer can do it and make a profit at $60, so can a Lotus dealer.

Do you think he would notice that you have a worn out toe link while he is under there?

How many Lotus are they working on? How do you know they are making money? It could be that the tech thinks it would be fun to work on a Lotus to break the monotony.

Lotus techs have been trained by Lotus and they are doing more than an oil change while they are under an Elise. They know what to look for and are much more likely to spot problems than a Toyota tech.

:shift:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Also if you don't put the under tray bolts in in the correct order and at the correct torque you can turn your car into a drum. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
807 Posts
$200 bucks is pretty standard for any car that cost around $50K+. with authorized dealer service.

if you change the oil yourself, more power to you but for those of us who don't, i sure as hell not trusting someone who services Yaris and Corollas to properly lift, remove and service the other parts of the Lotus that aren't supplied from Toyota.... uh... like every single part other than the engine and transmission. not to mention, you get the 'award winning' toyota dealer service (sarcasm).

now, by 'buy other cars', you mean kia, hyundai and suzuki, i'm sure their dealer service might be a bit cheaper than lotus or any other $50K+ luxury car ;) i didn't realize people were cross shopping a new Elise with a Kia Rondo....

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
GOOD mechanics come at a premium, sure, but the oil change is hardly a technical job.
those of us who drive the cars conservatively may not need a heroic mechanic to peek at the goodies underneath, and certainly not every 3-6k miles.
with 18k miles on my elise, i haven't found any fasteners that took a torque move, yet.
if you feel better paying the price, and feel you're getting your money's worth, then go for it.
my opinion and i'm stuck with it....rotfl
sam

·
Registered
440 Posts
Is that right? $200. Maybe its a Cali thing. Here in the Midwest I can take my Boxster in to the dealer for an oil change for (dealer to dealer variance) $135 to $175. Same service, same oil, same filter, same certif of the tech....etc.
And that, BTW, is a FULL 10 Qts of synthetic.

And for what its worth, I just checked with the local Lotus Dlr --they do the complete OC service for WAY less than 200. Less than 150, even.

jm

$200 bucks is pretty standard for any car that cost around $50K+. with authorized dealer service.

if you change the oil yourself, more power to you but for those of us who don't, i sure as hell not trusting someone who services Yaris and Corollas to properly lift, remove and service the other parts of the Lotus that aren't supplied from Toyota.... uh... like every single part other than the engine and transmission. not to mention, you get the 'award winning' toyota dealer service (sarcasm).

now, by 'buy other cars', you mean kia, hyundai and suzuki, i'm sure their dealer service might be a bit cheaper than lotus or any other $50K+ luxury car ;) i didn't realize people were cross shopping a new Elise with a Kia Rondo....

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
My buddy takes his 06 Elise to the Toyota dealer in town... since the nearest lotus dealership is 8 hours away. I'm due for an oil change in 1,300 miles.. I'll probably take it to Toyota as well. $245 is outrageous.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts