The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the recent owner of an '05 Elise. 12,000 miles.
When the top is down or the windows are open I get a hot oil smell. There are no oil leaks, it does not burn oil, and yes the oil cooler recall was completed. Is this common? Or does anyone have an idea what it is?

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
753 Posts
It's leaking somewhere onto the exhaust manifold. You'll just have to find where. Or, oil was spilled on it and it hasn't burned off yet.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just posted this in another post but ill copy it here.

So I beleive that I may have the same issue. With my car, it doesnt actually smell like burnt oil but smells like HOT oil. Like when you do an oil change with the car at operating temperature. I noticed it after having the car about a week. I brought it in for the oil line service and have the techs look at the full system and it was completely dry and never uses any oil. If yours sounds like the same issue..... forget about it, its never gone away for me. My guess is it has something to do with the heating and cooling of components and the smell of heated air coming off the radiator.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ziker, This is exactly what it smells like. The oil line recall was taken car of, and there are no oil leaks anywhere. Thanks for the response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts