The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of u smell oil inside a cockpit after driving the car(06 exige) check the bottom of the car no oil spill...is this normal?

thanks for any info..

·
Registered
688 Posts
any of u smell oil inside a cockpit after driving the car(06 exige) check the bottom of the car no oil spill...is this normal?

thanks for any info..
Sadly, this is a pretty normal thing. There are other threads about it if you want to search, but no real soultion. :sad:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've experienced it a few times after pulling into the garage, but it's nothing compared to my old '69 Elan. I couldn't go around the block in it without coming back reeking of unburned hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

thanks for any info..
what do you mean by "check[ed] the bottom of the car no oil spill"?

did you take the undertray off or just look under the car?

·
Registered
381 Posts
saw this talked about in another thread. cant remember if it's the same problem exactly but i heard the AN fittings on the oilcoolers are either faulty items or faulty design. 9 out of 10 cars leak, and do so onto the front tires. not cool... but if you can smell it in the cabin when the car's moving I'm guessing it's a leak from the frontside, assuming air vents route air in from front

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
saw this talked about in another thread. cant remember if it's the same problem exactly but i heard the AN fittings on the oilcoolers are either faulty items or faulty design. 9 out of 10 cars leak...
were this true, a 90% failure rate would be quite an acheivement don't you think?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've noticed the hydrocarbon smell on occasion, too. Glad to hear (in a sad and demented, but social sort of way) that is isn't just me, and that the smell doesn't necessarily presage an epic failure.

·
Registered
381 Posts
were this true, a 90% failure rate would be quite an acheivement don't you think?
that's just what i heard but it's from a shop that works on lots of lotus's and preps them for track. on exige, apparently it's not easy to see unless bits are taken off. i dont have my car yet but will be checking for this. local shop here makes a kit that changes the angle of AN fitting and some kind of beefed up seal as opposed to standard issue single. not sure what it consists of. warrantee should cover it. when i get more info on kit will notify

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has been experiencing this in his Lotus. I'm sad to see other people have the same problem though... :(

I was worried it was exhaust fumes building up in the cabin... So this is a little bit of a relief.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't smelled oil but I do smell anti-freeze frequently and my reservoir is always full.:shrug:
Solution: stop drinking anti-freeze! :crazyeyes

J/K...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
saw this talked about in another thread. cant remember if it's the same problem exactly but i heard the AN fittings on the oil coolers are either faulty items or faulty design. 9 out of 10 cars leak, and do so onto the front tires. not cool... but if you can smell it in the cabin when the car's moving I'm guessing it's a leak from the front side, assuming air vents route air in from front
There was a problem with some of the very early cars. They fitting were being tightened improperly at the factory and that lead to cracks in the oil cooler pipes at the fittings. The problem was that the cooler side of the fitting was not being held with a wrench when the hose fitting was being tightened - this led to some twisting and strain on the coolers that would lead to cracks. The problem was limited to a very few early cars. There has been a couple of other cars that have had problems with the fitting on the hoses apparently not being properly swedged to the hose and leaking. But this has only been a couple of cars.

Not in any way does it affect 90% of the cars.

that's just what i heard but it's from a shop that works on lots of lotus's and preps them for track. on Exige, apparently it's not easy to see unless bits are taken off.
This is the source of you 90% figure?

local shop here makes a kit that changes the angle of AN fitting and some kind of beefed up seal as opposed to standard issue single. not sure what it consists of. warranty should cover it. when i get more info on kit will notify
And there is a good reason for the shop to exaggerate the problem. Nothing like selling a "fix it kit" to people who are worried about 90% failure rates. And no, the factory warranty wouldn't cover an after-market fix

Oh, and the factory hoses do not use AN fittings. They just use standard fittings. It sounds like maybe the after market fix is to connect AN adapters to the hoses so you can connect AN fittings? That won't make it any more leak proof - it will just add more fittings to the ends... :shrug:

·
Registered
705 Posts
I haven't smelled oil but I do smell anti-freeze frequently and my reservoir is always full.:shrug:
Mine does this as well. I have had it checked and the shop couldn't smell anything. I thought it was just me:shrug:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not in any way does it affect 90% of the cars.

This is the source of you 90% figure?

And there is a good reason for the shop to exaggerate the problem. Nothing like selling a "fix it kit" to people who are worried about 90% failure rates. And no, the factory warranty wouldn't cover an after-market fix

Oh, and the factory hoses do not use AN fittings. They just use standard fittings. It sounds like maybe the after market fix is to connect AN adapters to the hoses so you can connect AN fittings? That won't make it any more leak proof - it will just add more fittings to the ends... :shrug:
Yes that's the source. One shop. This shop does service many lotus's that hit the track but point taken on exaggeration. I can't say I believe it 100% but if there's enough occurances out there for them to exaggerate, there might be some validity.

The solution they offer is some kind of double locking AN fitting that replaces the stock one. Didn't look into it as I didn't expect to have the problem.

Say it ain't so...No oil smell from my car but I did notice yellow residue in my inner side of bottom of front lip right under front side wheel well mud guard when I had the wheel off. Too much sand and grit mixed up in it to determine but from looks of it, it's oil. Only got 1500kms on the car so far.

Will check into this more in day light.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I humbly suggest that 90% of the customers this shop sees who come in complaining of an oil leak probably have an oil leak.

xtn

·
Registered
381 Posts
front clam off, the oil line in the front of the car was leaking. Changed it to an upgraded piece.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts