The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out this evening to go for a drive and when I started the engine it made one hell of a racket for 1-2 seconds. I just reached for the key to shut it down,cause my first thought is that it was going to seize and then it was fine. Obviously didn't have any oil on the bearings and such upon startup. It had only been sitting since last evening. I have never had this happen with any motor before. I have 550 miles on the motor. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
nope, mine is always very quiet when it starts up. If it was so bad that you thought it was going to lock up I think I'd call your dealer to have it looked at. Couldnt hurt.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.....I went out to the garage this morning eagerly awaiting pushing the start button to see if there would be any problem with oil circulation upon startup.
Quiet as a lamb......as usual.

It makes me think about the possibilities. First of all....machines sometimes do strange things although what happened yesterday is potentially a serious problem. I will mention it to my dealer,for the record. If it never does it again,they can't fix something that ain't broke!

Possible causes? Oil pump sticking? Oil port clogged? Oil control valve stuck in half position?(unlikely,since I haven't utilized the high speed cam so far).

The dip stick reads full of extremely beautiful clean oil. I'm scratching my head and hoping that I never hear that horrible sound again!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Could it have been the hydraulic "lifters"? Miatas tend to have a problem with their HLA (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters - aka Lifters) on startup. When they sit for awhile, the oil drains out of them, and then when started, the "rattle" for a few seconds until the oil pressure re-fills the HLAs. Some cars never rattle, some rattle for a minutes of so.

I don't know if the Toyota engine in the Elise has them, but I haven't seen anything about needing the valves adjusted, so I suspect that they are "self adjusting" hyrdaulics...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim,
From the sound,it was more than dry lifter tapping but then I was so shocked that it may have appeared louder than it was being a new car and all. I remember also hearing what sounded like a dry drive chain among other things.

I understand that this is a complex oil circuit but it should have had adequate oil coating from running it the previous night. It was very hot yesterday(outside temp 100F with inside garage temp possibly exceeding 115-120F) I don't know if this could contribute to oil runoff during the day but still,it doesn't take much time without oil to seize the bearings(that is,IF the oil wasn't reaching the bearings).

Ron

·
Registered
323 Posts
Perhaps an Accusump system would be helpful here too ?

Somebody over there got it in another car before and can report ?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The hydraulic lifters bled down.
an accumulator/accusump would be good.(may void warranty so ask first.)
I would make a note of this event and hope it is not repeated often.
If it occurs again, get the revs up to 2000rpm asap and hold them there for ten secs.
Third time in a month... take it to the dealer.
This should only happen on occasion.

Errm, You have checked the oil level, right?
m.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thegit said:
The hydraulic lifters bled down.
an accumulator/accusump would be good.(may void warranty so ask first.)
I would make a note of this event and hope it is not repeated often.
If it occurs again, get the revs up to 2000rpm asap and hold them there for ten secs.
Third time in a month... take it to the dealer.
This should only happen on occasion.

Errm, You have checked the oil level, right?
m.
Oil is full and clean and so sweet looking, I've been tempted to taste it. This has only happened once so far and the mechanic said the same. He said that it was probably an anomally, but if it happens again....bring it right in.(just so happens that they are 120 miles from me.) But it seems to have good oil pressure and runs like a gem.

What is an accumulator/accusump?
Thanks.
Ron

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Originally developed for race engines, accusumps are a container that may hold from one quart to 5 quarts depending on size.
The container is filled by normal oil pressure of a running engine.
It has an electrically energised pressure switch on it's valve to release oil into the sump of the car by the oil pump pick up at a user selected low oil pressure condition eg
1, engine trying to start.
2, oil moving away from oil pump pick up in a cornering situation. (Elise has extra baffles in the sump to combat this )
3, Oil is escaping from the engine.

The accusump has a hose that is plumbed to the oil pan or near the block skirt.
marketed by Canton/mecca.
m

1 - 9 of 9 Posts