The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The advice that I've seen around the place is to not engage VVTI swapover on the 2ZZ until 25mins post water temp at 85DegC.

I assume this is because of oil temp and likely thermal expansion of the cams, guides, rollers etc. Is there an empirical number that can be used to monitor when it's safe to swap into the second cam - ie.. like oil temp?

Cheers - Mike

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
978 Posts
Hi All,

The advice that I've seen around the place is to not engage VVTI swapover on the 2ZZ until 25mins post water temp at 85DegC.

I assume this is because of oil temp and likely thermal expansion of the cams, guides, rollers etc. Is there an empirical number that can be used to monitor when it's safe to swap into the second cam - ie.. like oil temp?

Cheers - Mike
Not sure on the absolute correct answer on this but I never get on the 2nd until my oil temp is above 200. I disregard the water temp for cam engagement. 200 is my number and I know others who would say 180 or so, but my car with the mishi plate gets to 200 within 5 mins of driving. Normal around town I’m sitting at 225-230.

·
Registered
2005 ForcedFed Lotus Elise
116 Posts
Well, most of us do not have oil temp gauges unless we go aftermarket. I simply wait 20 minutes after having started the car to ever engage 2nd cam. If it's cold out, 25 min. That's after reading up this topic in numerous previous threads since there seems to not be a clear cut answer (unless you have an oil temp gauge... Lotus, what were you thinking neglecting this?!)

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,738 Posts
Well, most of us do not have oil temp gauges unless we go aftermarket. I simply wait 20 minutes after having started the car to ever engage 2nd cam. If it's cold out, 25 min. That's after reading up this topic in numerous previous threads since there seems to not be a clear cut answer (unless you have an oil temp gauge... Lotus, what were you thinking neglecting this?!)
Oil pressure would have been really nice too. Yes, the gauges probably weighed too much. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: spikeisgr8

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
978 Posts
I can tell ya right now, that if you start the car and don’t have the plate, after 20 mins you won’t ever see oil temps in the 200s or even close. In a normal climate, if the water temp is 185 from cold start, my car before the plate never even reached 150 and would max out at 165 with both coolers operational, which isn’t even close enough to proper oil temp, which should be 225-275ish for the 2zz. Get an oil temp gauge and monitor it. I think you’ll be surprised at how cold the oil actually stays.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
With the Mish plate, warmup is very reliable.
Since Lotus only spec'ed a 160 thermostat, and if you look at oil viscosity graphs for 5-40, I am going to say it is all over by 160 degrees. The difference in viscosity between 160-180-200 is negligible compared to cooler temps.
If you have the Mish plate, in my experience, once you reach the 'normal operating temperature' for your car, the oil will be over 160 degrees.
I define 'normal operating temperature' as whatever your temp gauge usually says when you look at it, all cars are slightly different, I changed ECUs and it is different now, but I would say the range is probably 182-192F in our cars. If the outside temp is below 50 degrees, it is just a tick slower.

This is from 4 years and over 25k miles of observation with a gauge and 185 degree oil thermostat

With the stock thermostat, some people never reach a 'good' oil temp, so without a gauge with the stock oil thermostat you are guessing

·
Registered
417 Posts
FWIW, and I know what I'm doing is highly unscientific, but it's all I got.
I think most of us can pretty much tell when everything seems warmed up, perhaps not sufficiently, but better than when the car was cold. For example, the gear shifting, and the engine's willingness to rev, are both sluggish when first starting out. However, after driving for a while, at slow speed and low RPM to allow for warm-up, things just feel smoother. How long is "a while"? In 90+ weather, it can be as short as 15 minutes for me. In the winter when it's 50s out, this time can be as much as 30 minutes if not more. My car does not have an oil temp gauge. I bought it at 25K miles, now has 31K. I don't know how the PO drove it, but from being the passenger during a test drive, he was not babying it, at all. He drove it out from his garage, and immediately hammered it. He didn't seem to care, or know. The tire pressures were high teens to low 20s. I had a knowledgeable Lotus shop check the cams, no sign of wear whatsoever. Of course this is on a street driven car, track focused cars probably would've have sustained cam wipe, who knows. Unscientifically, I notice that once the coolant temperature display reaches high 190s, things seem smooth. During the hot summer, coolant temp can reach 220s in my car.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
641 Posts
FWIW, and I know what I'm doing is highly unscientific, but it's all I got.
I think most of us can pretty much tell when everything seems warmed up, perhaps not sufficiently, but better than when the car was cold. For example, the gear shifting, and the engine's willingness to rev, are both sluggish when first starting out. However, after driving for a while, at slow speed and low RPM to allow for warm-up, things just feel smoother. How long is "a while"? In 90+ weather, it can be as short as 15 minutes for me. In the winter when it's 50s out, this time can be as much as 30 minutes if not more. My car does not have an oil temp gauge. I bought it at 25K miles, now has 31K. I don't know how the PO drove it, but from being the passenger during a test drive, he was not babying it, at all. He drove it out from his garage, and immediately hammered it. He didn't seem to care, or know. The tire pressures were high teens to low 20s. I had a knowledgeable Lotus shop check the cams, no sign of wear whatsoever. Of course this is on a street driven car, track focused cars probably would've have sustained cam wipe, who knows. Unscientifically, I notice that once the coolant temperature display reaches high 190s, things seem smooth. During the hot summer, coolant temp can reach 220s in my car.
Not completely sure where your going with this.If your concerned about oil temps you need a gauge.

Reactions: GDBB

·
purveyor of lightness
4,205 Posts
So here's my spiel...

I removed BOTH my front oil coolers back in 2013... I'm running the BOE RevX supercharger + front HEX @ 20psi (about 425 hp / 300 lb-ft) and JUST returned from a 45 minute spirited morning drive (had to run some errands and get coffee).

My oil temps never got over 205 degrees (it took 8 minutes and 4-1/2 miles to get into the 180's. I also have BWR's F1 radiator and water temps never exceeded 185 - all according to my GarW dash...

Ambient conditions here in Kansas City right now are 79 degrees F, 79% humidity (welcome to the midwest) and 29.77 for air pressure at 798 feet above sea level (dyno correction factor 1.049)

Track work would probably be another story but she's NEVER seen anything above 215 (and that was in 100 degree stop-and-go traffic)... so it makes me question if she even NEEDS an oil cooler.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
217 Posts
With the stock thermostat, some people never reach a 'good' oil temp, so without a gauge with the stock oil thermostat you are guessing
Exactly. I installed a gauge, and was never getting up to a good oil temp. If you install an oil temp gauge, you will likely see that your oil never gets warm enough. Per this thread, the answer is installing a different thermostat (Mishimoto oil sandwich plate), or changing your oil cooler setup (e.g., BOE's single rear-mounted cooler, oil-water heat exchanger, ...).

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
641 Posts
Exactly. I installed a gauge, and was never getting up to a good oil temp. If you install an oil temp gauge, you will likely see that your oil never gets warm enough. Per this thread, the answer is installing a different thermostat (Mishimoto oil sandwich plate), or changing your oil cooler setup (e.g., BOE's single rear-mounted cooler, oil-water heat exchanger, ...).
This subject has been covered in the thread mentioned. I would like to repeat the oil cooler designed and used by Toyota works great on the street and track and the hoses are already there.
Super easy to install.

Reactions: CRG53

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not completely sure where your going with this.If your concerned about oil temps you need a gauge.
My intention was to describe how the car was likely driven by the previous owner. Despite his not letting it warm up enough, there was no cam wipe at 25K miles. Of course having an oil temp gauge is better.

·
Premium Member
12,121 Posts
This subject has been covered in the thread mentioned. I would like to repeat the oil cooler designed and used by Toyota works great on the street and track and the hoses are already there.
Super easy to install.
Which Toyotas? My XRS has none.

·
Registered
2005 ForcedFed Lotus Elise
116 Posts
My intention was to describe how the car was likely driven by the previous owner. Despite his not letting it warm up enough, there was no cam wipe at 25K miles. Of course having an oil temp gauge is better.
I'm with you, Darren. If you're not going to track the car, and allow for proper warm up every time before dropping the hammer, I bet in most cases you'll be fine.

Any time I take someone out for a drive, I either go for a little ride prior to them hopping in to get over the warm up part. If I don't have time to do that, I have to listen to them ask me why I drive like such a sissy. They quickly change their mind after 20 minutes in ;)

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
641 Posts
Which Toyotas? My XRS has none.
I bought mine from Monkey wrench racing. I have been told the 2zz engine that Lotus bought from Toyota had this on it.Lotus disguarded put on the the aluminum u tube.It rubs on stuff and then leaks. I have heard it was used in Europe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts