The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking up oil possibilities for the evora, and I have decided on motul. My question is should I use:

1. 8100 X-Clean 5w40

2. 8100 X-ecess 5w40 ( currently this is my number 1 choice)

3. 300V Power 5w40

Now I have also may be wrong in choosing motul as my oil, but what have you guys choosen (brand) ? Have any of you guys gone heavier/lighter (ex. 10w40) ?

Side note : where can I download an owners Manual 2012 edition assumming there may be some changes ?

Thanks for everyone's input, and have a great Sunday !

Lotus noob

·
Registered
881 Posts
Evora Oil

I plan to use Castrol Syntec 5W40, same as I used in the Elise.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Uh oh, another oil thread.. Shut'r down, quick!!! rotfl

Using a higher oil weight? IMO, if you live in warm weather climates it should be perfectly fine. but it can also be colder in some areas, so use your judgment. I wouldn't have a problem at all using 15W40 for the summer where I live, but I currently use 5w40 because I have cases of them I bought on the cheap.

But honestly I think people make too big of a deal of oil. Between brands, the only difference is in your head and pocket book.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do not use 300V. That is a race oil and does not have the properties you need for street use, i.e. longer durations between changes.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Mobil1 Delvac 5W-40 is preferred. Diesil oils have more zinc to protect our cams etc. has worked for 8 summers and track time in my Elise which takes a much greater beating than the Evora engine will.
Track duty v mixed v pure street are very different.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Mobil1 Delvac 5W-40 is preferred. Diesil oils have more zinc to protect our cams etc.

This is one of my choices as well. Another to consider is Brad Penn. It is the old Kendall oil.

Welcome!

Personally I would use Castrol GTX but the dealer is using Mobile One. I am easy on my engine and have used regular GTX for YEARS. I change it every 4K.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Does anyone know if full synthetic (such as mobile 1) remain cleaner over time than regular fossil oil? I thought it does but I notice it actually gets dirty even faster....

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Does anyone know if full synthetic (such as mobile 1) remain cleaner over time than regular fossil oil? I thought it does but I notice it actually gets dirty even faster....
Dirt has nothing to do with the condition of your oil.
TAN/TBN, concentration of metals, fuel, etc. are the things that you need to look at. Not the color :shrug:

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
With current oil, filtering etc technology, you only need racing oil if you SERIOUSLY race. Otherwise, you're doing nothing productive except spending money for excess product.

·
Illegal Alien
5,140 Posts
a rehash of old stuff but I find that the European ACEA spec much more meaningful that the API, Lotus calls for A3/B3 or A3/B4, while I have never searched a number of brands, I know that Redline and certain Mobil 1 oils (0W-40, 15W-50 for example) meet this criteria; seems that this criteria indirectly provides zinc levels of 1000 plus.

·
Illegal Alien
5,140 Posts
Jaws may be able to respond with what really goes in, the manual states Texaco fluids for fill recommendations and lists a Texaco Syn. engine oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts