The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a question for all you SC people out there. I've noticed a buildup of what could be best described as an oily film on the back of my Elise since I installed the BOW 300TVS. Anyone else encounter this? I know that with the bigger fuel injectors you are dumping more gas in the hole so to speak, but I have also noticed a slight fuel odor on certain downshifts. My exhausts outlets also have a significant soot buildup as compared to NA. I don't mind, except for the fact I want to a) make sure this is normal and b) fibure out a better way of removing it besides using dawn and then reapplying my wax.

Thanks
Corvus

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Did you also install an oil catch can when doing the SC?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Agree with BudUSMC,
With greater boost comes greater oil exiting the head via the tubing.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Are you sure it's not a leak sliding aft on the diffuser? Even with catch cans it still goes into the intake.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If your oil pan was leaking you would most likely see a truly oily residue on your diffuser because the wind would spread the oil out along your under tray and subframe. Trust me!

More likely is that it's just soot from a more rich combustion. I have been behind several modified Lotus and they spit out some level of smoke in between shifts and upper RPM's. It's a safety precaution a lot of tuners (cars in general) take. It's so quick and dissipates quickly that you never see it from the drivers position.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. Yep installed a catch can prior to the SC install to set myself up. No oil leaks either. Was just under her two days ago and not a drop of oil on the under tray or diffuser. The soot/oily film is only on the rear fiberglass of the car. Kind of thought it was due to the SC, but wanted to get the opinions of the board.

Thanks
Corvus

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Its due to running slightly rich which is normal. Now get som VP103 no lead then exhaust is clean. Really quite amazing. A little on the pricy side however. Also what plug temp you running?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled the plugs, look pretty good. A little more black than tan from what I am used to, but it seems that everything is running well. No misses, and I can't remember the plug temp, but it is the ones that Phil sends with the kit. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure everything is ok, just wanted to check in with you guys that were running a similar setup to make sure it is normal. I do appreciate all the backup though. Also been checking my oil level every day for a month and no visible decrease in level (just to make sure). Just emptied the catch cans for the first time, keeping in mind I've only put about a 1000 miles since the install, and it was just a small amount (maybe a couple of ml).

Thanks
Corvus

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Have you checked your air/fuel ratio? Sometimes the leads for the two sensors on the cat can be switched causing it to run rich also.

·
Registered
685 Posts
So here's a question for all you SC people out there. I've noticed a buildup of what could be best described as an oily film on the back of my Elise since I installed the BOW 300TVS. Anyone else encounter this? I know that with the bigger fuel injectors you are dumping more gas in the hole so to speak, but I have also noticed a slight fuel odor on certain downshifts. My exhausts outlets also have a significant soot buildup as compared to NA. I don't mind, except for the fact I want to a) make sure this is normal and b) fibure out a better way of removing it besides using dawn and then reapplying my wax.

Thanks
Corvus
Pay for my BOW 300TVS and I'll let you know if I have the same issue :evil:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Sturgeon,
Running the Zeitronix gauge setup with AFR and boost readout. AFR generally reads 14.7 ish, unless I'm getting on it and then it will drop to anywhere from 11 ish to 12.5 or so. When I let off the throttle or downshift it goes to about 21 and then back to 14.7. So on average I'm running the perfect 14.7. One thing of note, this tank of gas I've been babying her and have noticed no residue. I guess I'll chalk it up to burying the throttle once in a while. After all, it is why I bought this beast...

Corvus

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And Blue Devil, just do it! This car is so much more with a BOE SC on it. I was a little worried about the price tag, but even though I severed two tendons in my middle finger in the process (don't ask...had a blond moment installing an extra light in the garage so I could see the install better) I would do it all over again. And don't worry...I can still drive angry with my left hand!

Corvus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts