The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, some of you Gents have had your Elises for a while now. I spoken to a contact at Hethel that tells me that they put 110% effort in to getting the Build Q right for you guys.

Now, here's the question, What do you think?
Is the Build Q OK or are they missing the mark, if so what?

I am wondering simply because it's a good pointer to the next gen of models that are coming our way over the next few years.

You help would be nice.
Cheers
Mega

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The build quality is what I expected from Lotus, having no previous experience owning one, just hearing secondhand stories. The quality is not up to the level of Japanese or German cars that I've owned. There are minor quality issues with my car - the driver's side door trim is being replaced under warranty; some foam adhesive used on the passenger side sill cover is poking out of the joint in one area; the center console attachment screws at the bulkhead were loose. This is what I've noticed so far. They are minor issues and for a low volume hand built car, understandable. I'm just not sure how forgiving your average American consumer would be.

Lotus has done a great job where it counts - my car runs and drives fine, does not leak water, and everything works (AC, windows, etc). None of the problems I've identified have created a perception of shoddy workmanship or poor design, so I'd say Lotus has done a great job here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For the most part everything seems fine to this point. I've only had my car for almost 2 weeks, but I've looked it over pretty thoroughly. The only place where I see some careless work is in the interior. There is quite a bit of scratching on the aluminum tray that runs along the bottom of the dash, especially by the steering column. Also where they fit the gear stick casing over the centre console. Other than that, only very slight flaws in the paint. When I say slight I mean pinpoint small, nothing major. Oh, there is also a small puncture like mark in the passenger seat along the side by the sill...again, very minor. I've added my own imperfections by attracting every small stone to the front of my car! Can't help that i guess.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
It is as I expected it to be. They are close to having a great quality car.

1. Speaker grills should not pop off when cornering. :)

2. A/C should not freeze up.

3. Do something better than the black tape to dress the harness in the trunk. I personally would not mind the extra 4 ounces from having the stuff on the floor of the trunk cover and protect the rear and sides too. The rolled soft top is scratching the interior finish.

4. A better finish on the center console plastic. Kudos for making it more rigid. It's a LOT better.

5. I have some extra glue smears on the seat leather.

6. The foam that is next to the passenger foot rest flew out.

7. I would add some loctite thread compound to the carpet screws and to the two bolts holding the diffuser.

8. The foam was squeezing out from under the door sill. I pushed it back in.

9. The headlights suck dead bunnies up a straw.

10. Get rid of those locking lug nuts. They are horrible to use.

11. The 12V socket seems harder to use than any I have used previously. I had to use cable ties to restrain things from popping out.

Body alignment, seams, paint, interior are all top notch. In weighing the negatives vs the positives, they come out with high marks. I am very pleased.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I've had a couple of cosmetic quality issues but mechanically (engine, suspension, chassis, etc) I'm very impressed. Maybe they could put some more Build Q into the cosmetic items but it's not really important; I enjoy the car for how it drives.

Here's the short list of cosmetic things I've noticed...
- Left headlight points way way too low. I need to adjust it up a bit.
- Broken vent knob. The plastic knob couldn't take the torque needed to move the control into the 'defrost' position and so the knob broke.
- Most maddening... the speedometer needle is bent! By about 2 degrees mid way up the needle. When the base of the needle is pointing straight up the tip of the needle is actually pointing at 59MPH instead of 60. (or is it 79mph and 80mph that's straight up? ... I forget) Oh well.
- There's a bit of black glue coming out under the black plastic which covers the passenger side step plate. (what's that thing really called? It's the top edge of the tub that you need to get your foot over when you climb in.)

Do I really care about the above list? Only the speedometer needle ... I need to see if I can get that fixed under warranty. The other stuff isn't really important - just a list of items they can improve their Build Q on.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I have only two issues, both cited by Matt. drivers side sill carpet loose (never thought to have it fixed-i bought some industrial strength velcro for it) and the foam sticking out of the passenger side. Bizarre.

Oh, yeah-A/C sucks (as noted by Randy).

I am in general very, very pleased with my car. I expected big problems given the nameplate and the way I push my cars, and Liz has been problem free in all the important areas. Stellar. I could hardly be happier. Honestly. Best thing I ever spent money on.

:bow:

·
Registered
187 Posts
quality issues

Has anyone besides me notice that in sprited driving your hands hit the horn buttons OFTEN....

What a bad place for a horn button...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: quality issues

elise77 said:
Has anyone besides me notice that in sprited driving your hands hit the horn buttons OFTEN....

What a bad place for a horn button...
Yep. After a while you get better at not hitting it.

During the West Coast Lotus Meet Autocross... it as a constant reminder that the Elise was on course. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
doma said:

- There's a bit of black glue coming out under the black plastic which covers the passenger side step plate. (what's that thing really called? It's the top edge of the tub that you need to get your foot over when you climb in.)
The sill?

If so, are you sure that is not the black foam it seems more than a couple of us are mentioning?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
This is very wierd......I also have black foam sticking out of the passenger sill. One assembler who needs a little talking to.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>If so, are you sure that is not
>the black foam it seems more
>than a couple of us are mentioning?

Yes, I think it's the same. I'll look a little closer; from the driver's seat it looks 'gluey' to me. If it's foam it must be thin.

Seems a consistent problem then? Or the guy who puts the passenger sill on had a couple of bad days?

-doma

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
It is a very thin foam. I think it creeps out after. Mine was not visible when I picked up the car.

It is easy to push back in.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I agree with RANDY, the AC is terrible. I use it for 20 minutes on high fan and anything in the coldest 25% of the knob and it freezes, solid, as in no air comes out.

Terrribe AC, needs work, there is no excuse for that.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Randy Chase said:
11. The 12V socket seems harder to use than any I have used previously. I had to use cable ties to restrain things from popping out.
Very interesting. I wonder if it's a Euro-size lighter socket?
Japanese cig lighter sockets are smaller diameter and deeper than the Euro sockets. I think American sockets are more like Japanese. My friend at work has the same problem in his M5 -- nothing stays in the socket.

Some 12v gadgets include an "adapter ring" that slips over the plug and increases the diameter for a more snug fit. I get these with cellphone chargers, radar detectors, etc, and usually throw them out. I might have to start collecting them!

Otherwise the plug will go into the Euro socket, but bump right out or make an intermittent connection.

I've heard "standard" diameters range from 20.8mm to 22.3mm

What an aweful connector for accessory power. I'm amazed it's still sticking around. Hopefully some forward-thinking car manufacturer will start including a second better-engineered 12v power outlet and take over the world.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have the problem with a popping speaker grill, and can not get it back on. Also the speaker is warped. The salesman told me Lotus was aware of this and it is because of the heat in Florida. It happenned before the car was delivered to me and I have always kept the car in the garage and have only about 4 hours of driving time in the sun during which the temperatures have been in the 80- 90's, so it must have happenned because the cargo containers are warm. I doubt that being in the parking lot at the dealership after delivery for a day or two would cause this.

Also the brakes feel like they need to be bled. A lot of people have mentioned this. Maybe something happens in shipping with the 40 ft hurricane waves that causes air to get in. It seems like mine sqeek a little to if I am only going a few mines an hour and putting the car into the garage.

Floor carpet screws were loose, no big deal. Tightened them and they are fine. Car seems fine, no major problems. The radio sounds fine when not moving, but is hard to hear when driving with roof off. I did the equilizer microphone thing yesterday and will have to see if this makes an improvement. I also can not see the radio diplay in the bright sun and have even adjusted the viewing angle and display color.

I have also put a 3 cd boxed collection in the stowage net and
noticed that it affects the interior motion sensor. No big deal, it states in the manual that nothing metallic should be in front of it.

I have not found any flaws in the paint or interior. One one leather seat looks like the bottom corner is tucked in, but they are hand made and sewn so I dont expect perfection.

Would also like to see rear trunk area lined behind where the taillights are, and possibly a velco tie down for the softtop to keep it in place.

Illuminate the heating/ac buttons so they are easier to read at night.

The blackplastic fins, grills and engine vent covers are going to be hard to keep free from wax. If they were painted it would alleviate this problem and stop them from fading too.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
overall I am very pleased with the quality.
No fit/finish complaints.
My AC has not worked from day 1 - not a freezeup problem, just never blows cold. Will have it taken care of at 1st service (amost at 1K miles :) )
I agree with Randy about the headlights....
The inaccuracy of the speedometer is somewhat annoying when I switch back and forth from my daily driver - I have to think how much over the speed limit I really am....

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Ferrari uses the Momo wheel too and they all do it as well. Call it a character trait...(annoying)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts