The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I've been searching the archives and reading the replies to my first post about this... everyone has their advice, but no one has said "I did THIS and it worked" (ie. the radio recognized the MMC with MP3s and music came out of the speakers).

I've followed all the advice and I still get an error when I insert my SanDisk 128MB card (with a bunch of MP3s on it, in a folder in a folder named "D01") in place of the Blaupunkt keycard.

I would really appreciate it if someone who's actually made it WORK would POST what they DID (like starting with "I took the aftermarket MMC and placed it in the reader, I formatted it in Windows XP as FAT16 and then I...")!

Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Dear God, I would be ever greatful, too. I'm technically challenged. Would love to do this, but don't have a CLUE how to start. Can someone post an "MMC for Idiots" tutorial???

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Patricko said:
Is your card a MMC or SD?
:confused:

.....he said a guide for idiots, I don't even know what this means....I have an ATM card, will that work if I pay someone to program a MMC card for me. :)

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
MMC= Multi Media Card
SD = Secure Digital Card

The main difference is the SD card has the extra ability to secure the data. Both cards are usually compatible.

I have been using my sd card to play mp3 songs without any problems. The card has been in my PocketPC for most of the time and I didnt do anything special to it but rather simply pluged it into the radio and it did the rest and started to play the songs. So I would suggest buying a usb multi card reader and drag any mp3 songs you have over to the SD card and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really?! Lucky you.

I tried that (well, I formatted it as "FAT" first) and dragged a couple of MP3s to the card and I got "Reading MMC" and then "MMC Error" on my Blaupunkt.

The card says "MultiMediaCard" and "128MB" and "SanDisk". It looks just like the one that says "Blaupunkt" that came in the stereo.

Then I read about how I needed to do a certain file structure. Here's what I've done since that first try:

I put the card in the external reader I have attached to my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, and re-formated the MMC- my options in Windows XP are "FAT" or "FAT32".

I ended up formating it as "FAT", made a folder at the root level named "D01" and threw some more MP3s on it (they show up on my computer screen as, for example, "Basement Jaxx - Supersonic" with a little MP3 icon with a music note on it). It still doesn't work in the stereo in the Elise. It still says "Reading MMC" and then "MMC Error".

That's about as specific as I can get... It'd be great if someone else could give a detailed step-by-step guide (for Windows XP) on how to make these things work!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that's what I tried the first time, just copying them to the root level. But that's what everyone was saying I was doing wrong (and to follow the file structure of a MP3 CR-ROM)...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I do not believe you need those directories. You can use them for organization of your music, but you can also dump everything into the root.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
m100 Sean

Have you every considered the card may be defective. Try another card.

PS My songs are not in the root directory so this is not the problem.

Also something to consider...some mp3 songs will not play on portable devices. Intentional buy the authors to control music usage and sales.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about it being defective too- but it works fine when I plug it in my laptop. It copies files fine, shows directories fine...

I just re-formatted it, put some MP3s in the root directory and am going to go try it out later... I'll report back!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
m100 Sean said:
I thought about it being defective too- but it works fine when I plug it in my laptop. It copies files fine, shows directories fine...

I just re-formatted it, put some MP3s in the root directory and am going to go try it out later... I'll report back!
I would not use that as any indication. Media generally is more reliable on computers then when played on various other audio electronics. I have 1 cd that works fine on the computer but does not like outside cd players.

..Also have you actually played the song from the card thats inserted into the computer. Play the song directly off the card in your computer and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
It may not be the layout or format of your MMC card but the MP3 file itself. Maybe the bitrate is too high or some extended feature (VBR? ID3 v7?) is confusing the player.

Can you get a 'generic' MP3 from somewhere and try that? Something with Vanilla settings -- 128kbps constant bitrate, ID3 v1 tags if any. Ice, Ice, Baby....

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Ground Loop said:
It may not be the layout or format of your MMC card but the MP3 file itself. Maybe the bitrate is too high or some extended feature (VBR? ID3 v7?) is confusing the player.

Can you get a 'generic' MP3 from somewhere and try that? Something with Vanilla settings -- 128kbps constant bitrate, ID3 v1 tags if any. Ice, Ice, Baby....
Excellent suggestion! Removes alot of variables in trouble shooting this.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Burn the MP3s to a CD. If it still doesn't work, then it's probably the MP3s that can't be understood. I believe this unit supports constant bit rate MP3s up to 320kb/s, but no variable bit rates.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dan, good idea- if they don't work on a CD, then maybe they're fuct. I'm using iTunes by the way. And yes, I know that their native format is not MP3- I've been converting them to MP3 through Itunes... anyone been having a problem with that?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
m100 Sean said:
Thanks Dan, good idea- if they don't work on a CD, then maybe they're fuct. I'm using iTunes by the way. And yes, I know that their native format is not MP3- I've been converting them to MP3 through Itunes... anyone been having a problem with that?
O'boy... i think that just may be your problem. I remember there was someone who had problems with there format/protection when playing songs on portable devices through one of these services. I believe it may be for computer play only for songs bought online.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts