The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These freakin' seats, they look awesome, but I hate the lower back portion. I can't drive the car more than 10 minutes without having some sort of pain, and long drives are just terrible because of it. Other than that, I'm good. Out of all the Sports Cars I've had...and that's a LOT, this is the only seat to ever give me trouble.

So, has anyone modified the lower-back portion of the seat in their Lotus? It just need SOME sort of curve to it, instead of being a scoop. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had removable cloth and foam inserts made. They just drop in provide enough foam make seats better for long drives. You can have them made at upholstery shop

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Spend big money on some Recaros.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,056 Posts
If you want a perfect seat for yourself, and if you don't want to pay $1,000 for a complete after-market upgraded seat, make a foam insert.

I typically use a marine or aviation two-part expandable foam that you can probably get easiest from a marine repair shop. Ask them if you can get a half pint of each part and then bring in a couple of empty milk containers like the kids get at school. Then try mixing 1/4 cup or so of each in a plastic bag to see how everything works and what kind of volume your are going to get so you can gauge how much you will need. There can be a fine line between too little and, "OMG help! This stuff is coming out the top of the bag!"

Then:
Simply cover the seat with a protective plastic and put on about three thick layers of clothing that are expendable if the foam gets on them. When the foam gets on a surface such as the seat covering or clothing, it does not come off. It usually comes off of metal and hard plastics fairly easily.

Then get two trash bags (15 gal?) so there is plenty of extra room for the foam to expand. Add the two parts together into the bag (no mixing is really necessary) and put the bag inside the other one. Place the bags in the seat so the open ends are facing up towards roof and then lower yourself into the seat . Sit in the perfect posture you want the seat to support you in and wait about 5 minutes for the foam to harden. A friend to help position the bag and what not is a BIG help.
Then remove the foam and your shirts. Trim the foam with a hacksaw blade and cover with carpet padding on the side your back is going to contact. The padding takes the place of the shirts. Trim and fit, Trim and fit. When you are done. Cover the entire thing with duct tape.
Hey ... it is cheap and easy ... and can turn a seat into a wonderful thing!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I assume you have an '05 Elise? I have an '06 with the Probax and I've never had any issues with discomfort and I weigh 225 lbs. Try swapping in some Probax.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
R4R, neat idea!

I'm wondering if you could make a very thin custom pad and install it under the seat covering? Hmmm...

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had removable cloth and foam inserts made. They just drop in provide enough foam make seats better for long drives. You can have them made at upholstery shop
I wonder if there is anything pre-made out there. Thoughts?

Spend big money on some Recaros.
They make such a thing for the Lotus?

If you want a perfect seat for yourself, and if you don't want to pay $1,000 for a complete after-market upgraded seat, make a foam insert.
Wow, thanks for the detailed instructions. I might just try that!

I assume you have an '05 Elise? I have an '06 with the Probax and I've never had any issues with discomfort and I weigh 225 lbs. Try swapping in some Probax.
'06 Exige, Probax, 5'5" tall, 145 lbs. It's not my weight, or my height, it's the damn seat design. It's the ONLY seat I've ever had that didn't have ANY lumbar support.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Had the same issue with my 07 Elise probax seat. Dint find them comfy after 1h of driving.

I moved to a carbon fiber Tillet B5 seat, and I'm happy to report than despite the not welcoming look of it, I just did Montreal-Boston-Montreal and my back (and butt) are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had the same issue with my 07 Elise probax seat. Dint find them comfy after 1h of driving.

I moved to a carbon fiber Tillet B5 seat, and I'm happy to report than despite the not welcoming look of it, I just did Montreal-Boston-Montreal and my back (and butt) are perfectly fine.
Those seats are beautiful, but I'm looking for a less expensive option.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Did you try pumping up the blood pressure cuff looking hand pump? With my '05, there's a very narrow range of tolerable inflation for the lumbar support.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Did you try pumping up the blood pressure cuff looking hand pump? With my '05, there's a very narrow range of tolerable inflation for the lumbar support.
Those were only on the '05. They were dropped with the '06+ Probax seats. I've owned both, and done long trips in both, and I don't find much difference between them. They're both fine for me.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Doge here on LT has modified his seats before adding extra padding. I believe it helped a lot, though I can't say from personal experience.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And I have another quick question for the racer guys. I have a friend with an EVO X and the seats are just impossibly awesome. I fit in this seat so well, I wouldn't even need a seatbelt if it weren't for brakes, there is no side-to-side movement whatsoever. Not so in the Lotus, the seat is so wide, and so non-supportive, what was Lotus thinking? Leave room for the fire suit?

·
Registered
296 Posts
And I have another quick question for the racer guys. I have a friend with an EVO X and the seats are just impossibly awesome. I fit in this seat so well, I wouldn't even need a seatbelt if it weren't for brakes, there is no side-to-side movement whatsoever. Not so in the Lotus, the seat is so wide, and so non-supportive, what was Lotus thinking? Leave room for the fire suit?
:shrug:
I fit just fine in the seat. Any narrower and I would not. I could use a shade more lumbar support, but as long as I don't slouch, it's good.
The race seats come in sizes. You pic the one for your body size, or you don't fit in the seat. Lotus had to design for a wider range of drivers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts