The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling especially ignorant here. :confused: I cannot find torque specs for our cars. I've found some of the scattered info such as the torque for the wheel bolts and the toe links, but where is the information for all the various fasteners on the car? I can't even find the torque specs for spark plugs for heaven's sake.

I've already searched the technical section of the Forum. I've searched the owner's manual, service notes, and parts manuals. I'm willing to admit to being half-blind some days, but I'm at a total loss with this. Any help out there? :eek:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I didn't notice one thread for all.....but I did an advanced search, titles only and entered 'torque'.....I came up with 51 threads for various parts on the car. Maybe it was your calling to organize them all into one thread.....and ask them to make it a 'Sticky'.

On second thought.....add it to the 'Uberpost'.

·
Premium Member
11,715 Posts
bob -

are you saying that you downloaded the service manual from Lotus for $25 and that info isn't in there?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bob -

are you saying that you downloaded the service manual from Lotus for $25 and that info isn't in there?
Ayup. There're Sections TDP and TDQ, neither of which have any torque specs (despite being titled Technical Data). There are measurement data, capacities, size, materials of construction, wattage, degrees, gear ratios, fuel consumption, etc., but torque specs there are none.

There is Section OI, Maintenance and Lubrication, which details intervals and service times, even, but no specification data for any maintenance. Total of 25 sections but not a squeak about fastener torque specs. Ditto the owner's manual except for the two things I've noted. They say to have the dealer's service change sparking plugs, fer heaven's sake! :(

Wah, wah, wah. :panic:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ayup. There're Sections TDP and TDQ, neither of which have any torque specs (despite being titled Technical Data). There are measurement data, capacities, size, materials of construction, wattage, degrees, gear ratios, fuel consumption, etc., but torque specs there are none.

There is Section OI, Maintenance and Lubrication, which details intervals and service times, even, but no specification data for any maintenance. Total of 25 sections but not a squeak about fastener torque specs. Ditto the owner's manual except for the two things I've noted. They say to have the dealer's service change sparking plugs, fer heaven's sake! :(

Wah, wah, wah. :panic:
Lotus' service manual doesn't have a lot of engine and powertrain data. They refer to the Toyota manual for the 2ZZ engine. If I'm not mistaken it's available for download from the same site as the Lotus Service Manual.

Some torque specs don't seem to have been published at all (i.e. seat rail bolts, undertray and diffuser bolts, etc.)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Lotus' service manual doesn't have a lot of engine and powertrain data. They refer to the Toyota manual for the 2ZZ engine. If I'm not mistaken it's available for download from the same site as the Lotus Service Manual.
No, it's not available from Lotus - at least not on line as they are Toyota manuals.

There is a sticky in the maintenance section however that has a link to the Toyota Manuals, including a "bootleg" copy from the Celica forum...

Engine torque specs should be in there.

·
Premium Member
11,715 Posts
lotusport -

I downloaded the entire corolla xrs manuals from a web site I found on Ltalk.

It was a giant PITA as I had to click on every SUB chapter. It took two days off/on and $10 or $20/day.

I have an XRS, so was worth it.

I can't email you this stuff, as it seems illegal/immoral, but if there is something specific I can help with, please ask.

Note that many times one can use the size of the bolt as a guide. In fact, these guides are often published in the shop manuals. Spark plugs are good examples; they all get about the same amt of torque.

Every car I've had in yrs had the same lug nut tq. (NOT the Elan.)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it's not available from Lotus - at least not on line as they are Toyota manuals.

There is a sticky in the maintenance section however that has a link to the Toyota Manuals, including a "bootleg" copy from the Celica forum...

Engine torque specs should be in there.
Thanks, Tim -

As usual, you're the answer man for all things Elise! I found the bootleg manual -- all 1154 pages of it. Even better, one poster in their (Engine System Info - NewCelica.org Forum) maintenance section has a number of small 2-8 page "articles," one of which is the attached.

Very simple: "Using a 16 mm (0.63 in.) plug wrench, install the spark plugs. Torque: 18 Nm (184 kg.cm, 13 ft.lb)"

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts