The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.

I'm in a conundrum. I'm getting screwed on my company car and without getting into $$$ regarding the difference between the Runzheimer plan vs. a personal vehicle. I've realized a personal vehicle is the way to go.

My question is...... Can an Elise be livable at 40K a year highway + the odd canyon run every other weekend? I know this isn't you typical mileage, but I gave up on being normal a long time ago. Can an Elise be dependable? I read the blog on here that seemed to point to the belief that they are not, and anything outside the warranty is a dangerous as owning a 911 outside the warrantee.....(ahem)....

I want something fun to drive daily (I'm running the I-15 to LA on my commute to the office) but I don't want to make my life miserable "making" an Elise work.

Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FWIW We've got a-holes on the Porsche forums that fit this type of thread post but honestly, has anyone been worried about getting their Elise up to 100K in mileage?

I mentioned to the wife the other day about getting an Elise. She went onto Lotustalk and according to her, she said that it's not a "great" idea.

I want one, I'm looking for reasons to counter her points here boys.

E

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lots of us DD the Elise. 40K a year in one though is going to be rough on you physically and mentally. I do about 15K a year and its starting to cause lower back problems.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
OP, it can be done. Just depends on what kind of a person you are and if you can endure a raw driving experience everyday for 40k a year.

IMO, the only thing that might make an elise a non dd is the clams and repair time. If someone *******s bumps into you and you have to replace the clam the car is going to be in the shop for a few weeks.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/100k-miles-65861/

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I drive a pick-up for those 40+ and it's not the most pleasant. I just don't want to drive some civic, camry, or an 05bmw all that time while I can have some fun. Time is short, I don't want to spend it in a sedan anymore.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Well then go test drive an elise, see if you can really live with it for 40k miles a year.

Its going to come down to you. Your the one thats going to be driving the car.

Me personally can drive an Elise 40k miles a year, but i dont care about ride comfort, road noise, luggage space...etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP, it can be done. Just depends on what kind of a person you are and if you can endure a raw driving experience everyday for 40k a year.

IMO, the only thing that might make an elise a non dd is the clams and repair time. If someone *******s bumps into you and you have to replace the clam the car is going to be in the shop for a few weeks.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/100k-miles-65861/
That link sums up what I was looking for exactly. And CRASH is from the same town.....who knew.

Anyone looking for a good 99 996, priced to sell??????

Thanks for the link Serpent.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you can live with a motorcycle for that type of mileage, go for it. If not, don't.

As for mechanical soundness, the car is awesome. It resembles a motorcycle so closely in so many ways - it even has little quirks that are easily repairable that are a joy to fix.

100k? No problem. I would think 200K would be attainable with the Toyota drivetrain. I read a comical comment that said the drivetrain will fall out before it wears out. Sounds about right to me.

Mine is an 05 and has the pump for lumbar support. Works awesome for me.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
ed -

Who makes the Conundrum? Is it ok as a daily driver??

I've driven my car 18-19 hrs stopping only for gas three times. It's comfy. I LOVE it.

good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can live with a motorcycle for that type of mileage, go for it. If not, don't.

As for mechanical soundness, the car is awesome. It resembles a motorcycle so closely in so many ways - it even has little quirks that are easily repairable that are a joy to fix.

100k? No problem. I would think 200K would be attainable with the Toyota drivetrain.

Mine is an 05 and has the pump for lumbar support. Works awesome for me.

Good luck.
Excellent with regards to the lumbar.

As for the bike, a family with three kids excludes me from two wheel heaven. I did that in college and back then calling up my soon to be wife and asking for a lift since I slid the bike under a truck in an intersection, it kinda set the scene for future purchase.

But I'd love to split lanes and get to work 30 min earlier......

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ed -

Who makes the Conundrum? Is it ok as a daily driver??

I've driven my car 18-19 hrs stopping only for gas three times. It's comfy. I LOVE it.

good luck.
Ha! the Conundrum was created from years of poorly managed finances and a real estate bubble that affects my job.

It's a great truck, it has super inflated tires that give the impression that they'll only gain tread as they wear. You don't have to put gas in, you take a loan on the truck itself then pay for the gas that way.....

Not to get too deep but keeping with the times, "I'm right sizing" the same time the company I work for is doing the same.

BTW, these answers make it easier. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I wouldn't daily drive anything else now that I have one.

My biggest complaint is that I waited so long to get mine. Go drive it. You'll know immediately.

You're seriously wasting time by talking to folks here. You could be driving your new Elise or Exige. One drive and this car will speak to you and either say, BUY ME or STAY AWAY.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I have to give one a go. I think I know what I'm in for and I'm pretty excited. I have to find somewhere here that's willing to let me go. Or at least interested in a "let me drive yours if I let you drive mine"......

Umm I'm in Phoenix next week for the day to meet with the State Senate Natural Resources Commitee.......

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
go to the Cali section and post that you need a ride/ test drive. I'm sure most would give you a ride/ test drive.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, I have to give one a go. I think I know what I'm in for and I'm pretty excited. I have to find somewhere here that's willing to let me go. Or at least interested in a "let me drive yours if I let you drive mine"......

Umm I'm in Phoenix next week for the day to meet with the State Senate Natural Resources Commitee.......
When you're in Phoenix, go to Scottsdale Lotus and ask Chad if you can take a testdrive if you're not near a dealer.

I think your wife is mistaken. This car is very reliable. It needs an owner with a passion for caring for it and understanding it is hand-made.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Speaking as someone that's owned 2 elises over the last year, one of which was a daily driver and wrecked in commute traffic, I would advise against the idea.

Get the Elise. Then spend another $6K on a 2002 Jaguar x-type. Your lower back (and your family) will thank you. PM me with any specific questions you may have and I will be happy to be of assistance. Enjoy the wonderful world of British motoring.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you're in Phoenix, go to Scottsdale Lotus and ask Chad if you can take a testdrive if you're not near a dealer.

I think your wife is mistaken. This car is very reliable. It needs an owner with a passion for caring for it and understanding it is hand-made.
Thanks, I'm not sure the day since the politicians haven't picked the day, but whenever I go I've got a day to kill after a two hour meeting. Maybe I'll head over Scottsdale Lotus! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I probably wouldn't enjoy driving my Elise 40k miles per year, but I am also 6'3" and over 200 lbs. I start to get uncomfortable after about an hour, and sometimes the noise will get annoying (but generally i love the noise). I think you may want to consider (at least test drive) some of the other cars that are frequently mentioned on here as well. Mitsubishi Evo (looks good/expensive), Subaru WRX STi(ugly/less expensive), and Mazda SPEED 3 (ugly/cheap).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi Eaniemeania, I say get an 06 or newer for the so-called better seats. The 06 and newer have PRO BACK seats. I have 72,000+ miles and going. I have an 06 for just over 2½ years now and only had a few little probs early on that the warranty covered and have been fine ever since.

However if you do not like the seats you can always change them. Also with the miles you are looking at doing you will need to have 2 sets of wheels so as to save a few $$$ in the long run on tires. One set for track/max fun, and a DD set that you can put your highway miles on.

Otherwise it’s a Toyoda motor and transmission, it will go a lot of miles if cared for it right. You could buy a hole new motor and transmission for the cost of fixing some other cars.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts