The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Alpine W650. Works great, sounds alright. It has an option of installing an amplifier onto the back of it that would raise output to 400. Not sure if it’s worth doing that as I’m guessing the speakers aren’t great enough to handle all of that anyway. But thought you guys might know. Did the Evora come with a separate amp already? Or is it just the Alpine head unit and what it was capable of? Does anyone know what Watts the OEM speakers can handle?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
If you have the subwoofer in the rear passenger panel, then you have an amp. It should be an Alpine PDA T200 Class D amp, which doesn't output much. I believe it only amplified the sub, and the front separates were driven off the headunit.

Either way, the stock separates could probably handle a bit more power, but the mids/woofers are rather thin paper cones so it's probably easy to overdrive them and kill em with distortion.

If you want better sound overall, it's best to replace the separates, replace the sub (seal the box while you're at it), and replace the amp.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the subwoofer in the rear passenger panel, then you have an amp. It should be an Alpine PDA T200 Class D amp, which doesn't output much.

I do have that sub in the back. Only connector I had for it was two audio cables which connected to the new head unit. The sub still makes noise, not a lot. I assume that amp must be powered elsewhere, as i must not have to connect it to the head unit? I’m not sure how audio stuff works.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts

I do have that sub in the back. Only connector I had for it was two audio cables which connected to the new head unit. The sub still makes noise, not a lot. I assume that amp must be powered elsewhere, as i must not have to connect it to the head unit? I’m not sure how audio stuff works.
The remote turn-on lead for the amp should come from the headunit connection. Pin 7 on the original connector, which should have been blue w/ white stripe (sort of industry standard for remote turn-on lead color). The 2 audio cables (RCAs) should have connected to your headunit's subwoofer or rear speaker pre-outs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The remote turn-on lead for the amp should come from the headunit connection. Pin 7 on the original connector, which should have been blue w/ white stripe (sort of industry standard for remote turn-on lead color). The 2 audio cables (RCAs) should have connected to your headunit's subwoofer or rear speaker pre-outs.
I looked at the diagrams, looks like the blue/white power out to the additional AMP comes off the power adapter that gets plugged in to the head unit. (Makes sense). Since I’m reusing the same power cable as before, none of this should have changed. The only other thing going to the sub is the AV outs, and the rear camera AV also comes off of that connector, but that’s it. So I think I have it setup correctly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It might be worth downloading the Alpine ‘tune it’ app. I recently used it with my ILX-107. Gives you much more adjustability than the head unit and enabled me to set the crossover for the front splits so they aren’t being sent the low frequencies (and can therefore handle more volume!). Also has a much better equalizer to get better sound out of the splits. They’re not perfect, but MUCH better than they were.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might be worth downloading the Alpine ‘tune it’ app. I recently used it with my ILX-107. Gives you much more adjustability than the head unit and enabled me to set the crossover for the front splits so they aren’t being sent the low frequencies (and can therefore handle more volume!). Also has a much better equalizer to get better sound out of the splits. They’re not perfect, but MUCH better than they were.
Thank you! I’ll give that a shot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thank you! I’ll give that a shot.
I had the W650 for about 2 weeks before I returned it an got a Pioneer replacement. My experience with that unit was really bad, and I had multiple complaints that I tried to address with Alpine, but they were really unwilling to work with me. The subwoofer would turn off completely with making certain adjustments in the EQ (like adjusting the treble frequencies).

The Pioneer has its quirks, but it instantly made the factory subwoofer louder, dare I say, good sounding. After my atrocious experience with Alpine, I'll never use their products again.

Here are all the complaints I send to Alpine:
- My head unit takes anywhere from 28-45 seconds to boot up (even after the hard reset), I don't know why yours is acting different, but that's what my unit does.
- There is an abnormal noise emitted from the phone when I connect it, I've tried three cables so far, the OE LG cable for my LG V35, an aftermarket Belkin USB 3.0 certified cable and a new cable that I purchased (Belkin USB 3.1), all of which had this issue.
- I still haven't received an explanation as to why the sub-woofer output is turned off when adjusting the P-EQ above zero when the crossover (X-over) is being used.
- A new issue that I noticed yesterday is that it will intermittently lose connection and I'll have to manually re-establish AA (I will attempt to duplicate with as many phones/cables as I can).

Anyway, I hope your experience is better than mine was!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts