The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is now very obvious that my Elise will not arrive to enjoy this summer. I have been mentally picturing myself spending this summer running about in a new little convertible (the Elise)

I'm thinking about buying another car as a stop gap measure
till Lotus delivers my car. I'd like to find something nimble and topless and 2 seats that I can buy now in the $10-15K range and sell next spring when the Elise arrives without losing any money. Of course we're talking used to avoid a $ loss and fit my price range.

MR2
Miata
Z3
TR6
MGB
Others ?

What do you think is a good candidate, and what model years should I look for ? Others around here may also be having similar thoughts

Regards

Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would pick up an MR2 Spyder. Cheap, you can find a used one under $14k. Should be reliable enough to not have to touch it until you sell it. I would think you could also sell it a year later for not too much less than you paid. Good mileage. And it's lightweight, midengined...so it's good training for the Elise.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I've never driven an MR-2 but yeah it's probably closest to Elise in terms of dynamics, otherwise I'd recommend a Miata, I can promise you it'll put a big ol' smile on your face ! :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
pre-2003 MR2s Spyders have potentially serious problems with bad motors

miatas also have potential motor problems in years 1990, 1991 and 1999

having owned both, I prefer the miata over the mr2 due to its more sporting suspension and better aftermarket support (and you get a better trunk as a bonus).

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with Randy on the MR2 Spyder. I have a 2001 model. It's fun and a good reliable car. Toyota should have a good resale value. I hope so, I will be selling mine in about 6 months.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just a thought... what about a M100 Lotus Elan? They're around $9 - 15K now.

Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
The MR2 Spyder is the closest thing to the Elise, available in the USA.

It's a good 'stepping stone' car for the new MR driver. I call it my "supercar trainer". It's getting me ready for the Elise, Gallardo or Carrera GT in my future (new job, stock options, or win the lotto).

-Hong

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'd think it would be easier to find a decent miata in the right price range than it would be to find a decent MR2. I also think that in the end it would be easier to sell the miata than the MR2. If you want just a temporary car to put a smile on your face, you cant go wrong with a miata.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Having spent lots of time in both an 02 Miata (own one) and an 02 MR2, both are great cars. The Miata is a bit more fun to drive (for me) and has far more cargo space. I can easily fit 2 small suitcases or all of my hockey gear in the trunk (except the sticks). The MR2 gets better mileage and should handle closer to what you'd find in the Elise. Just don't try to pack much more than a booklet of stamps (also good prep for the Elise!).

For the Miata, they're all good years. The first generation (NA, 1990-1997) cars are slower in stock form, but they're also lighter and more visceral. Many people like the less isolated experience for the first gen cars. The second gen (NB, 1999+) are typically a bit heavier (although some 99s are lighter than some 97s), but more powerful. I like the added features of the NBs, and they feel far more solid to me. Don't worry about the 99's engine problems. There is a simple check to see if a car might have the problem, and it's only a problem on a tiny fraction of the cars that are out there. That's one of the many cases of the internet blowing up a miniscule problem, IMHO. Of course to the handful of people it hit it's not a miniscule problem.

If you're going to autocross, I think the ES MR2s dominate that class, while the NB Miatas have a pretty good hold on CS. That may change with the availability of limited slip on the newest MR2s in CS, but they're too new to be on your radar screen.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Feffman said:
An M100 Elan. Not only will it indoctrinate you into the Lotus family further, but it's a great driving car. Japanese reliable too!

Mark
I drove an M100 last spring. It was in absolute perfect condition without even a paint chip on the hood. It had 22K miles and the owner wanted $16k.

The problem is it's WWD (wrong wheel drive) and had an alaming pull to the right at every shift. I'd prefer an early Elan over an M100. At any rate a used Lotus would be harder to find and harder to sell quickly when my Elise arrives.

Steve

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Sownman said:
It is now very obvious that my Elise will not arrive to enjoy this summer. I have been mentally picturing myself spending this summer running about in a new little convertible (the Elise)

I'm thinking about buying another car as a stop gap measure
till Lotus delivers my car. I'd like to find something nimble and topless and 2 seats that I can buy now in the $10-15K range and sell next spring when the Elise arrives without losing any money. Of course we're talking used to avoid a $ loss and fit my price range.

MR2
Miata
Z3
TR6
MGB
Others ?

What do you think is a good candidate, and what model years should I look for ? Others around here may also be having similar thoughts

Regards

Steve
Buy my Z3! :D

Neil

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
supermotard said:
pre-2003 MR2s Spyders have potentially serious problems with bad motors

yeah my 2000 MR2 with 97.5k miles is a good example. only problem i have ever had was a fuel injector getting replaced

Randy

as you have driven both hard tell us the similarities (we can guess the superiorities of the elise) between the 2 cars for autocross. i think at least for those driving a spyder it would whet our appetites for the elise that seems so far away right now (like we need more enticement)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts