17.6 lbs

For reference, carbon exige roofs
sector: 12.25 lbs ($2800)
prototype: 11 lbs ($3500?)
TWRD: 13.2 lbs ($2000)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Those weight differences are accounted for by the amount of "fettling" done to the scoop of each roof. The more you fettle your stock roof scoop the less it weighs.

Where did you get the 17.6#? Did you weigh your roof? Seems like that would be the easiest way to find out :shrug:.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, mine is still attached to the car. :D

Fettling is done on rear clam, not hardtop. The material is so little it would not even account for .5 lbs.

17.6 #s is from TWRD's website.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I have 4 weights...

stock:
22.5 lbs (from sector)
20 lbs (from prototype)
26.5 lbs (from TWRD)
17.6 lbs

For reference, carbon exige roofs
sector: 12.25 lbs ($2800)
prototype: 11 lbs ($3500?)
TWRD: 13.2 lbs ($2000)
no, mine is still attached to the car. :D

Fettling is done on rear clam, not hardtop. The material is so little it would not even account for .5 lbs.

17.6 #s is from TWRD's website.
I was just kidding about the fettling :eek:

So TWRD lists 2 different stock weights :huh:. No wonder they're all over the place. I think someone needs to weigh their top for accuracy's sake. I'm guessing 21.65 lbs.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
You're in luck... since I have the Cup roof on my car, the stock Exige S roof is just sitting around. I just put it on a digital scale: 25.5 pounds...

Disclaimer: it's in its storage pouch, which I'm sure weighs < 1lb.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
apk919,

Put it back on the scale several times and see if it consistently weighs 25.5. I can lose or gain up to 3 lbs by stepping off and then back on our digital scale.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
apk919,

Put it back on the scale several times and see if it consistently weighs 25.5. I can lose or gain up to 3 lbs by stepping off and then back on our digital scale.
True, and I did do that. Consistently 25.5 lbs. I allowed the scale to zero itself each time.

G

·
Okay, I just drove my car to a weigh station and weighed it.

Then i took the top off, and weight the car without.

The difference is 22 lbs.

P.S. Actually, I have a digital scale. Tared and weighed myself 3 times. Tared and weighed myself holding the top 3 times. All 3 times, the difference was 22 lbs.

P.P.S I need to lose some weight.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Okay, I just drove my car to a weigh station and weighed it.

Then i took the top off, and weight the car without.

The difference is 22 lbs.

P.S. Actually, I have a digital scale. Tared and weighed myself 3 times. Tared and weighed myself holding the top 3 times. All 3 times, the difference was 22 lbs.

P.P.S I need to lose some weight.
rotfl

I just tried that too... I still got 25.5... I'll try taking it out of the pouch (although I'm really skeptical the pouch weighs 3.5 lbs...)

EDIT: Wow, that storage pouch is heavy! What was Lotus thinking? Weight without storage pouch: 22.5 lbs.

EDIT2: My original weight included the two rear bracket covers...

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The weight I received and quoted was a comparison between the factory cup hardtop and our TWRD hardtop. Which I was told was a little bit less than half the factory top, I've been saying our hardtop is half to be on the safe side. Better to under promise in my opinion . I'm not sure what the 17 pounds on the website is referring to, but I will find out and let you guys know.

cheers,
Jacob

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Update

OK so I have a clarification to the mysterious weight of 17.6 lbs.

The Cup car factory hardtop weighs 14kg or 30.8 lbs.
The TWRD GT-3 hardtop weighs 6 kg.
Weight savings by switching tops 8 kg or 17.6 lbs :up:

cheers,
Jacob

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks, ya'll.

damn, the stock cup roof is 31 lbs!

Jacob,
Is 13.2 lbs the lightest you guys can make it? just curious...

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
thanks, ya'll.

damn, the stock cup roof is 31 lbs!

Jacob,
Is 13.2 lbs the lightest you guys can make it? just curious...
The roof is pretty light and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out. Under a pound of the Sector hardtop and ours has the addition of the center rear cup bracket to help pull the top back to secure a better seal to the rear clam intercooler hole. I've compared the prototype hardtop with ours and to me there's no way that there's that big of a weight disparity between the two. Since they are listing the OEM hardtop 2.5 pounds lighter than everyone else you might want to ask them to recalibrate their scale and reweigh everything.

Just as a side note: I've seen both the Sector 111 and the Prototype hardtop. Both (as is the TWRD top) are excellent choices and are of the highest quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts