The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it has taken so long for my elise to show up.( ordered last year and am #8 at matheny. ardent red with hardtop and LSS) that i just could not stand it and bought a 2004 viper srt10. i have always owned vipers since 94 and they are great cars but just too heavy. i attend panoz track days at road atlanta and the cars are fast but REALLY hard on the brakes and tires.

well i also put a deposit down with my local dealer for the new slk55 amg. that car is now scheduled to come in by november. if my elise does not get here soon i may have a hard time deciding if i want it.

i can keep 2 but not 3 cars so which is it?? :no: i really think the lotus is going to be a better car but the vipers power is so hard to compete with. it will run faster on a track ( like road atlanta and roebling road which is where i will take them) no doubt but not as much fun i think. the slk55 will never be tracked just a daily driver gt car. so i guess the choice is between the viper and the elise. and before anybody says i just do not get it you need to drive a viper to understand.

george

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MikeAR303 said:
1 year? A lot of us have been waiting more than 2.

well actually i have been waiting 9 years. i drove the first elise EVER in the states back in 1995 at lotus cars usa. i bought a lotus esprit s4s from a dealer in atlanta that went belly up so arnie let me get the car serviced at LCU. when i was there one weekend getting the brakes fixed a racing green s1 arrive on a truck for a Car and Driver article. i begged arnie to let me take it for a spin and he said go ahead and get some lunch -eek-

when i got back i tiold him i HAD to have this car. i bugged him for 7 years about it and finally found out they were coming about 2 years ago. i just figured it was going to be such a limited market car that they would be a hard sell like the esprits so i would just grab one up at a dealer when they arrive at invoice or less. not a good plan as it turned out.

·
Registered
970 Posts
are you crazy...keep the viper and the slk 55!...man, if a C4S was 50K I would prob buy it instead.

the viper is a different animal compared to the elise(as you well know) but equally as good....sure the viper is heavier but it handles just as well and certainly is alot faster...as far as looks, the elise wins imo but both are exotic and will grab your attention...the cost favors the elise but there are alot more compromises with the elise you have to live with...the slk would be a sweet daily driver.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Later Apex said:
MGW,

What color interior and does it also have the Touring Package?

the car is ardent red with black leather. it has the touringt pack, hardtop, LSS and clear bra so basically as loaded as you can get. i decided on the touring even though i was going to track the car due to the advice i got on this forum about how little weight it really added.

regards
george

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well other than prefering Biscuit interior, I suppose I could go for black, otherwise the car is a match for what I am looking for. I just sent you email, let me know if you decide to pass on the car. Do you have an ETA from the dealership?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess the best thing is to take deliveery of the elise, drive it but not track it until i decide which i like. i am sure i can get out of the elise and maybe make a small profit if i keep the miles down and not track it. the viper will be harder to get rid of as any sports car is nowadays.

george

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Later Apex said:
Well other than prefering Biscuit interior, I suppose I could go for black, otherwise the car is a match for what I am looking for. I just sent you email, let me know if you decide to pass on the car. Do you have an ETA from the dealership?

did not see your post. my salesman is joe fagardo who is a great guy. he really does not have a good idea when it is going to arrive but at least he admits it. i would guess that it will be late august. they have delivered 3 cars so far so i only have 5 people ahead of me.

if i decide to pass on it i would only want my deposit of 500.00 back. but not sure how matheny will handle transfers . they may not allow it since they could sell the car for a big profit. :(

george

·
Registered
368 Posts
You could buy it and turn right around and sell to me, or I could go to the dealership with you, whatever works. If I am going to have a car by our Sept 18th charity event I need to find a low line # like yours. Feel free to respond to the email I sent you. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
MGW, if u do get an elise and track it with panoz track days at road atl, there will be at least 3 out there with you. Mine is due in November but my TT will be there tomorrow. Are you going to be there with the Viper?
Dan

·
Registered
591 Posts
George,

Please get the Elise. because I know if you do, you will make cool parts for it like you do for the Viper, Corvette, Lightning. I was glad to see you were getting one, as I knew you would come up with something.

Either way, I do think you will go wrong. Hopefully, if you don't get the Elise right now, you will still try to come up with some neat dress up items.

Greg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having driven an SLK55 I don't much understand the attraction to a true performance car enthusiast. Sure, they are gorgeous cars, but so is the Elise and a whole host of other cars out there depending on your taste. While it is "best of breed" for a *Mercedes*, it's still not incredible.

My experience was during the second level AMG driving school at Pocono. We got to drive pretty much every AMG car in a performance setting (and even got a hot lap ride in a Maybach...WOW, it's pretty amazing what they can make a big heavy car like that do!). To me they were all still high performance *for a luxury car*, which doesn't make them sportscars, the SLK included. It looks sporty and is small, but it just didn't feel like a sports car. Launches hard, but didn't handle for **** *compared* to even a Viper, I didn't think. Definitely nothing like the Elise will be.

I don't have that much time in a Viper, but to me it still has to come down to how much you really enjoy high horsepower cars versus light cars that really handle well. If you tend toward the HP, go Viper. If you tend toward handling, well, there's no question. But if it were *me* I'd probably daily drive a Viper *and* the Elise and skip the SLK.

If it matters, I've owned an E46 M3 convertible, a 996TT, an M Roadster, two Toyota Spyders, an STi, and I have a Spec Miata that I road race occasionally. The M3, M Roadster, one Spyder, and the 996TT are all gone currently (the other Spyder is my autocross car) and I daily drive the STi (with the occasional autocross thrown in, which I also did with the 996TT when I had it). So I'm sort of all over the map as far as performance cars. Oh, and I have an Elise on order (obviously, or I probably wouldn't be here).

--Donnie

·
Registered
389 Posts
mact3333 said:
....sure the viper is heavier but it handles just as well
NOTHING handles as well as an Elise. Everyone knows that! :)

I've never driven a Viper but I know TVR's, so I totally understand what the appeal of the Viper is (although I personally don't like the look of them). I owned a TVR early last year, then switched to an Elise, then this year back to a TVR. If I had the money and parking space I would have one of each, because they are both so amazing yet so different. For me the TVR won as an only car beacuse it's more practical and comfortable. Since you don't have to pick only one, I would go for the Viper/Elise combo. After those two cars, the Merc will just bore you once the new car novelty has worn off.

You've waited this long - wait a bit longer, take delivery of the Elise. If you don't want to keep it, sell it and make some money. No harm done, and someone lower down the list will appreciate the chance to own a car this year.

·
Registered
291 Posts
djb_rh said:

If it matters, I've owned an E46 M3 convertible, a 996TT, an M Roadster, two Toyota Spyders, an STi, and I have a Spec Miata that I road race occasionally. The M3, M Roadster, one Spyder, and the 996TT are all gone currently (the other Spyder is my autocross car) and I daily drive the STi (with the occasional autocross thrown in, which I also did with the 996TT when I had it). So I'm sort of all over the map as far as performance cars. Oh, and I have an Elise on order (obviously, or I probably wouldn't be here).

--Donnie
Great minds think alike. I have an STi and MR2 Spyder and should have my Elise soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts