The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corner-Carvers Forums - View Single Post - Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - auto-x/track build

After lunch it was over 90 degrees, but I went out in the 3rd TT session anyway to see if I could find some time. Tires got super hot, and I got stuck for 2 laps behind some TT1/TT2 cars gridded ahead of me, which was very frustrating. One of the cars holding up me and a train of cars behind us made a mistake in T1 so I made a pass on him into T2, outbraking this much lighter car. He immediately tried to take the position back and was making some VERY high risk moves for the rest of that lap trying to overtake, which were uncalled for - this is supposed to be TT, not W2W. This happens sometimes when Wheel to Wheel racers pay extra to also run in Time Trial - they don't turn that "attack for position" goal off and it has actually caused some accidents in TT before. Anyway, I finished the lap, with a pitiful 1:23.6 lap, then "pointed him by" on the front straight. I may have... used the wrong finger to point him by. I was pretty upset at the 5-6 near misses we had with him driving like a jackass behind me on the 2nd half of the lap after I passed him (cleanly). And of course the trackside photographer got a great picture of my angry "point by", which got me into all sorts of trouble with NASA officials. I won't get into all of that drama, but it was a dumb thing to do and I won't do it again.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Angry "bird." Heh heh

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
That's funny. I certainly know Terry Fair in the Mustang. He is a really nice guy. It just bugs me that he destroys the TT3 field in our area in a Mustang. I mean making a Mustang go around corners and then driving it really well just seems rude (sarcasm).

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
My pit was close to Terry's and I caught both his greg's side of the story (greg in the lotus). Terry's data was showing -predicted lap- times of 1:20 and he was pissed when he ran up on Greg and couldn't finish his 1:20 and hit like a 1:23. The reality is that we all know predictive lap timing doesn't mean much. Terry made changes to the car and had more seat time by Sunday and was faster on Sunday than Saturday. He flew the bird on Saturday. His best time on Sunday was 1:21. Never saw or would have seen a 1:20 on that weekend. Greg DID run a 1:20. So really, Greg was a good second faster than Terry. Terry just was operating under a lot of adrenalin and bad data. He should not have flown that bird and nearly got sent home for it... He admits that openly, which is commendable.

Terry must be one of the best talents on the track the way he drives that mustang--- which is a VERY VERY well setup car...

FTR- Terry won his class in TT3 with a 1:21. Greg in TT2 with his Lotus at 1:20 and me in TT1 at 1:18...

Greg and my car below at this race...

-Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i have no pony in this (pun)... but, i read that scratching my head...

"driver made a mistake so i got by him, then i held him up for a bunch of laps, even though he was trying to pass me i wouldn't give him a point by... finally i gave him a point by and i was pissed for an unexplainable reason"

not 2 sides to every story, 3 actually, and the track marshals is the only one that really matters. those buggers have a nasty habit of seeing EVERYTHING

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Agree... Part of TT is knowing how to stage yourself. If you run into the guy in front of you, it's really your "own damn fault" :eek:

-Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts