1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For sale ad here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2006-kg-elise-32k-58945/

Hi folks,

I've been away for awhile, trying to get a bunch of stuff sorted.

I have decided the best thing for me financially now is to sell the Lotus.

It totally sucks to get rid of it, but this will get me where I want to be financially much much quicker, and then I can buy another one or an S or whatever.

I needed to wait to get another car, my "new Lotus" is a 2001 Cavalier. And yes the handling is not as quite as good as the Elise. :rolleyes:

Since I've been away from the community a bit, I'm wondering if anyone would like to post their thoughts on what I could get for my car, in a private sale.

I can get more specifics or pics, but here is the basic list:

2006 Lotus Elise Sport/Touring
Krypton Green Exterior
Magnolia (off white/cream) leather interior
Body color matching hardtop
Touring (insulated) soft top
All campaigns/recalls/etc done
It has black STOCK (8 spoke) rims (not the sport pack rims)
Front tires are original, work ok, kinda understeers :D
Rears have recently been replaced
I have around 35k miles on it
All maintenance/servicing done

For those not in the know, this has been my daily driver for a long time, runs like a top.

I've gone on a couple of car cruises (both Lotus and Corvette, and embarrassed quite a few of my Vette buddies in the corners).

The only flaws on the car are as follows:
1. Drivers side seat rails...I have these on order, as mine have been deciding not to lock, being replaced under warranty.
2. Some bastard keyed my drivers door, very light, probably wouldn't see it if I didnt' mention it, but it's there.
3. The front driver's side "fin" in the bumper is chipped a little and has a small crack that runs along the bend from the front to the underside. Had dealer loook at it, it's stable and not changing. If you've been around these cars long enough you know that's on almost all of them at one point or another.
4. The windshield has one or two tiny tiny chips, look just fine but thought I'd mention.
5. The wheels are painted black from the factory and have a couple of small chips, nothing major.

I'll try to get some pics up in the near future.

Thanks!

·
Banned
874 Posts
27-28k

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for my own reference:

Ebay research
=============
Sold range: $16,100 - $49,900

Date - Year - Miles - Price - Sold?
7/2 - 2005 - 14k - 29k - NO
7/1 - 2006 - 12k - 33.6k - NO
6/30 - 2005 - 26.5 - 26.6k - YES
6/30 - 2005 - 24k - 35.9k - NO
6/21 - 2006 - 4k - 32.1k - NO
6/21 - 2007 - 3k - 32.5k - NO
6/19 - 2005 - 21k - 27.5k - YES

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think the color is going to polarize a lot of people and end up either really working for you or really working against you.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I think the color is going to polarize a lot of people and end up either really working for you or really working against you.
It'll work FOR you.......... KG is a desirable color !

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I decided to get an Elise, the Lotus dealer here in Phoenix didn't have it, so I flew into LAX and Abe from Southbay picked me up and I drove it back.

So I guess that makes this one of those ultra special southbay cars too lol.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I found the source of your financial woes:huh:
Indirectly.

Boxter S was the ex-wifes.

Shortly after this, we decided that she was a curb magnet, so we sold the Porsche, got her a Jeep Wrangler.

I don't have the wife (that's the EX part) and only have a 2001 Cavalier besides the Lotus.

Getting rid of the Lotus payments and insurance is going to allow me to take a huge, huge chunk out of my enormous credit card debt.

Help me to help you to help me. When did you want to go for a test drive :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
sorry, I'm taken :p just waiting for it to get here

I'm a good swimmer, but not good enough to swim to the west coast :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
FYI I bought a used '06 Elise this past April with 7k miles for $37,450...

Good luck with your sale and getting things in order as you want them.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I wouldn't start it at anything lower then $30k... you can drop from there if noone bites. It's tough to sell ANYTHING in this market right now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI I bought a used '06 Elise this past April with 7k miles for $37,450...

Good luck with your sale and getting things in order as you want them.
Thanks for the market sample and kind words.

I love my Lotus, it's a great, fun, reliable car. It hurts to get rid of it, and it took me a long time to come to terms with it, but it's for the best.

And it doesn't mean that I can't get one later or track down the lucky guy/gal I sell it to. :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't start it at anything lower then $30k... you can drop from there if noone bites. It's tough to sell ANYTHING in this market right now.

Good luck!
Bane! Good to hear from ya. Sure you don't want to buy it and convert it to run on tears of Corvette owners or something? rotfl

I still owe on the car, so I'm having to take a loss to sell it.

I'm VERY motivated and no reasonable offer will be refused.

This isnt' a fishing expedition, I really want to sell. :D

Thanks again for everyone's input! Keep it coming!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
When I decided to get an Elise, the Lotus dealer here in Phoenix didn't have it, so I flew into LAX and Abe from Southbay picked me up and I drove it back.

So I guess that makes this one of those ultra special southbay cars too lol.
You betcha! and it's worth ALL the money :D

Sorry that you have to sell it Don but like you said, you'll be back. PM me with a price you'd take and I'll see about finding a home for you...:)

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Color is going to be an issue....one way or the other.

But you should just ignore that and realize that if I buyer is looking at the car....he likes the color.
"Keyed" is an issue. as are the few marks up front. Mileage is a little high to get the best price.

I would think it is a 34K car without the issues. Take off 1K for the issues.

I would think 31.5\32K is your bottom selling price. Probably will sell for 32.5

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Depending on what rate you are paying on your credit cards, this website can help you out(by getting a loan at a lower rate and paying off the CC).
Prosper

Community lending.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Im curious, and please dont flame me, but why do Lotus owners devalue their cars so much?

I see people who have the means to sell for almost nothing, selling them off to get the new thing down the block, and people think "oh that must be the going rate".

I'm not saying these things should be appreciating, but sheesh. It really sucks to have been one of the suckers on the waiting lists that waited two years and who's money funded lotus bringing them over, and now people are selling them for nothing and happy to get it. I've noticed a lot of the people sying the cars are worth nothing, are people who have a lot of posts here, but no car yet. So it appears to the lay person that they're an actual owner, when they're not. They're waiting for a hot deal too and it serves them to talk the cars down.

And Ferrari owners and other owners from Honda to Toyota are taking fun advantage of it, even going to far as to hold out for the $1.99 deal they find on ebay or somewhere else.

I just wish owners would hold their ground more. Rather than giving the cars away for nothing just to beat out the next guy and get a quick sale from someone who cant really afford the car.

Again, please dont flame me. Its just how I feel. A car is only worth what the owners are willing to sell it for and yeah I know ( and what BUYERS are willing to pay) but good grief after looking here on Etalk its not wonder buyers EXPECT a cheap car. And, for some reason Lotus owners dont give a crap wha they lose.

I dont think Lotus helps things by selling too many cars or releasing better cars a few months after they swore that a better car would not be available.

If Lotus wants to be the new boy racer/crx/beater car, they're well on their way. I cant name one other import whos price has been devalued so much..and by the actual owners club of these cars!

:(

It's so bad right now that if you go out and wreck your car, your insurance company will likely give you MORE than you paid for it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think they'd give me more than I paid, maybe if I bought it used.

I can say that I bought my car expecting to not sell, and knowing that I'd take a significant hit to sell it.

The market is what it is. Not all the numbers are way down though. It seems like they are up and down, maybe consistently a little low, but not every sale.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts