The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an a 1984 BMW 318i that has been sitting in an airport employee parking lot for 2 years. It has not been moved or started in all that time.

I want to retrieve my car as it is in another state and i need to bring it home. What advice do you folks have as to what I should do to revive this car for a 350 mile journey back home after such a long sit. Thanks

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
1Fast...

I'd recommend the following... (essentially what I've done with cars that have sat for 10-20 years, thus may be overkill, but better safe than...)

1) Visual inspection - be sure to check anything rubber, especially hoses (fuel lines, brake lines, clutch, radiator, heater, etc) - don't forget belts
2) Fluid levels & condition - oil, coolant, brakes, tranny, clutch
3) Ck tire pressure & tire condition
4) You'll likely have to charge or replace the battery

Assuming you get passed the above...
5) Pull plugs and turn engine over for a few sec, then say for about 10-15 sec. This will start to get some oil pressure building in the engine.
6) Replace plugs and try to start. This may be difficult as the volitiles in the fuel may have evaporated. Starting fluid may help sprayed into the intake. Suggest putting a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the tank (this will help to absorb any water).
7) Once started do not rev hard, gently. Watch for fluid leaks and check instruments as it comes up to temp. Ck tranny fluid level (if automatic).

Assuming you're okay to here...
8) Drive gently & slowly. Check brakes. Check brakes again. You may find the tires have gone "square" from sitting, this will go away once they're warm.
9) Get all fluids renewed - oil, tranny, coolant, flush brake fluid (if possible) & fresh tank of gas before going on your 350 trek. Also recommend making a stop after a few miles to check stuff out.
10) Watch for... clogging of the fuel filter

A lot can happen in a couple years of exposure.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
khamai,

Thank you for the very comprehensive suggestion on things I should do. It will come in handy and I really appreciate you taking the time to type all the info out for me. Should be picking it up in the next few weeks...fingers crossed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts