The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you that have updated from an elise to a exige S. How much better is it? the magazines rave about how its worth the extra $ for the SC, it really makes me want to drive one.

I'm in no mood to get a super charger since resale value won't be much of a difference and most people will want to refrain from buying a modified car.

Is the exige S that much sicker, it totally looks like it, especially since most dealers are about giving discounts on a 07 exige S.

It almost seems like a better deal right now to trade in for a new exige S left over

Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i mean, LOVE my elise A LOT, its just that the way they talk up the new
SC cars makes them sound so great. idk then again the press gets annoying, i guess its what you want to spend...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had an 05 Elise for a year, went without it for a year, and now have a 07 Exige S. Don't let the power rating fool you. It feels like alot more than 30 horses would suggest. The midrange feels great. It no longer has that dead zone while waiting for the second cam, it just pulls from down low all the way to 8500.

My Elise was Bordeau Red Pearl. It was cute or classy looking.
My Exige is Solar Yellow. It is just badass looking.

If you ever get near Concord, let me know. We'll take a ride for comparison.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
This has been discussed adnauseum here... do a search. You'll find lots of opinions.

To repeat an opinion I've posted about a dozen times, there is a significant difference between the power in the N/A Elise versus the SC Exige. I currently have both cars and some days I drive both. The Elise feels slow after driving the Exige S. In the Exige S, the power is there immediately and it is very quick. When the 2nd cam engages, it's a little more subtle, but it still roars.

For me, the power is night and day between the two. I really want to get a "240flash" if/when Lotus starts to offer it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, I was just reading the August Road & Track article on p.40 titled perfection for an extra $8230, they make it sound a world a difference, and thats the elise SC, not the exige with the intercooler.

The article says the second cam comes in at either 4000k or 6200k. does the second cam really come in at 4000k?

·
Registered
431 Posts
thanks guys, I was just reading the August Road & Track article on p.40 titled perfection for an extra $8230, they make it sound a world a difference, and thats the elise SC, not the exige with the intercooler.

The article says the second cam comes in at either 4000k or 6200k. does the second cam really come in at 4000k?
Personally, I love the Elise S/C and I'd take it over an Exige S220 all day long. The price difference between the two (including discount on '07 Exige) is aout the same.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts

No way it comes in at 4k... That's probably low enough to have a negative impact on performance, and then from Lotus' perspective, at 4k, you would see second cam nearly every shift, and that would cause extreme reliability issues.
From what I understand it may begin to come in at 4500 RPM, depending on engine load.

This is what the manual says for the 211... it's a bit ambiguous about whether it applies to an Exige S:

Four special high-flow port fuel injectors are used (common with Cup cars and USA Exige S) in conjuction
with unique engine programming, which incorporates control of the supercharger by-pass valve. The boost
characteristics have allowed the switching point from low to high lift cam profile to be varied between 4,500
and 6,200 rpm dependent on engine load (at normal running temperature). Twin front mounted oil/air coolers
are fitted one each side, ahead of the front wheels.

·
Registered
431 Posts
No way it comes in at 4k... That's probably low enough to have a negative impact on performance, and then from Lotus' perspective, at 4k, you would see second cam nearly every shift, and that would cause extreme reliability issues.
BM,

I believe Ace51 is correct and the Exige and Elise S/C's do come in at 4K rpm and the N/A Lotus come in at 6200.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Elise SC and Exige S240(maybe S?) have a variable cam switch... if you are light on the throttle it switches around 6200... if you have the hammer down it switches at 4k :clap:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Elise SC and Exige S240(maybe S?) have a variable cam switch... if you are light on the throttle it switches around 6200... if you have the hammer down it switches at 4k :clap:
Yes, that is exactly right, the key words are "variable cam lift". It depends on speed and load. This is one of the things that I love about the Exige S.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still thinking it would be great fun to have both the Exige S and the Elise.:)

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
yes it is that much better u may also wanna check out the new Elise SC as well

IMO if i had a 05 or 06 elise, i would just modify the crap out of it, and make it better than an Exige S240

·
Registered
252 Posts
yes it is that much better u may also wanna check out the new Elise SC as well

IMO if i had a 05 or 06 elise, i would just modify the crap out of it, and make it better than an Exige S240

That's what I have done. Modified the crap out of my '05 and spent a heck of a lot less doing it this way. Plus I bought exactly what mods I want and in some cases, put stuff that is even better than the Exige S OEM.

I guess everyone has their own opinions but taking the depreciation hit on your existing car and turning around and taking the hit on a new car seems wasteful. Lots of mods could be purchased and lots of track days enjoyed for what you will lose on depreciation.

I will say that adding a supercharger will absolutely amaze you with the performance differences.

Good luck with your decision. At a minimum, you are on the right track wanting to have a supercharged Lotus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts