The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire rack shows A048 tires for sale "from 2005 production run". Any concerns about buying a tire that is already seven years old?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, talked to "Doc" at Tirerack. He confirmed that the production dates shown are in fact manufacture years. He said that with R compound tires, aging does not begin until the first heat cycle, so buying a seven-year-old tire is not an issue.

So to my original question: concerns about buying old tires?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
check for hairline cracks in surface of the rubber.. if there are any, it means it's been stored outside in the sun. But usually tire rubber is very resilient you will most likely not have a problem. I had my worn stock tires in storage for a good 10 years , and put them back on the car when before sold it. Drove around with it for a good month without issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, right!! Dont begin til first heat up!
I have 10 yrs experience of R-compound.
If you want them to last longer, put them on car and drive on the highway about 10mi to they are warm, take them off and let them store 1 week! Then hit the track!
They will last longer!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am currently going to school for automotive and was taught that tires start to go bad as soon as they are made..... I wouldn't buy them... You never know if the rubber is going bad or the glue has started to separate.

Your choice. Would rather be safe than sorry if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
708 Posts
For that little of a discount.....I don't know. If you're really interested, contact the regional Yokohama rep. Back 20 years ago, we had the rep regularly give talks at the Boston BMWCCA chapter meetings. He was very knowledgable and ran at track days all the time.

I do know someone who once won a raffle and got some 10 year old new track tires (Yale Rachlin, the late editor of Roundel) and tried them on the track only to find them to be as slippery as full slicks in the rain. He only then looked at the mfg date to find that they were 10 years old.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've raced on all different ages and conditions of slicks and in my experiences it is all about how the tire is stored. We often would get large stock of tires from our sponsor for a season that would end up lasting more than a season, so we would store them in black, thick trash bags in a climate controlled, dark locker. These tires would feel brand new even years later. However, tires we let sit out, especially ones exposed to light, absolutely horrible after a few years even if they started new.

7 years is ridiculously long however, especially for a street tire that you will be driving tens of thousands of miles on.

Our tires were bias ply, and were sensitive to how they were stacked as well. I don't think this would be an issue with street radials.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also looked at those A048's and they also had some 2007 production run. Price was cheaper for them as well. Not enuf to make it worthwhile. After all age does matter ask anyone over 50......

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
They didn't sell because those compounds would suck on our cars. Its that simple. Waste of money. But I also agree as long as new tires are fine to roll. They are kept in climate controlled warehouses What more could you ask for.
Better off finding a team for tires but our fronts are a problem here as almost nobody uses that size.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had A048's installed yesterday, current production run, and they seem OK. Currently running 29PSI, first run was at 32PSI and they seemed rock hard. Will try lowering it again as I get used to them. Went for a fast 50 mile highway run right away and after I had some heat in them the cornering grip seemed better than the AD07's. I'll get an alignment ASAP just to avoid any wear issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts