The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the generous help of David Avard, i now have (hopefully) solved the oil leak thats been plaguing me.

We did the timing belt, water pump, drive belts, VC gasket, cam seals, dist O ring and the passenger side axle, oh and a new radiator cap. Not too bad for a days work.

We opted not to do the crank seal, A) wasn't leaking, B) no gear puller. It was a rather simple process, to my suprise. The exhaust cam seal was an obvious culprit for a good part of the leak. Oh and the drive belts, man....how they didn't break yet, is a miracle....But the timing belt looked brand new and still in great shape. Now, when we pulled off the water pump, we couldn't beleive our eyes....uhhhh, where's the impeller? uhhh, it's just a flat plate...WTF? OMG how the hell was that thing even moving water, how didn't any passage ways get clogged, and why wasn't the engine overheating? wow, how strange...i'll post a pic of it tomorrow. (too far to go down to the garage now and get it...i'm still alttle buzzed from the 3 cans of brake cleaner and wonderfully scented sludge from my radiator. ok 2 cans of cleaner and 1 can of chemical scented water...) I may have gained a few hp by just having an actual impeller on the water pump :D

The drive home was a good test, typical LA traffic. temp needle stayed put, engine felt and ran perfect since first start up. I went easy on it to let the belts settle in.

I must say i'm jealous of David's daily drive up/down Mullholland :)

Thanks again David, for all your help today!

David: What's that dripping?
Darryl: huh? oh ****, catch pan!
David: whoosh, grab, woosh, slide under...
Darryl: Ya, makes sense, i just loosened up the water pump :)
David: uhhh, ye-ah. :rolleyes:
Darryl: <shrug> :p

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
It really doesn't take much of a blade to impeller water. Most of them only have a couple of degrees in their angle and they do a great job. You can barely see the sweep of the blade in the pics, but I'm sure that by replacing it you'll get a lot better flow. I'm surprised too that you didn't have problems with water getting stuck in the lower parts of the system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey David,

You want to help me check out my timing chain? I hear that you almost have to pull the motor to do it :(
Sounds like fun....right?:D

No really!

I don't know if I should just let the motor "hand grenade", or spend the time to check it out.:rolleyes:

I have been told that I will be able to hear it, when it starts to go bad, but I have also been told that when it breaks REALLY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN!!!:eek:

Oh well, one way to find out. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gunnar said:
You want to help me check out my timing chain?
My Sentra also has a timing chain and you don't need to check it. The shop manual doesn't even make a mention of how often you should check it. I would check it /or probably replace it when I rebuild my engine - and on Nissan engines that could be a lot of miles 200-300K miles.

·
Registered
171 Posts
serge928 said:

My Sentra also has a timing chain and you don't need to check it. The shop manual doesn't even make a mention of how often you should check it. I would check it /or probably replace it when I rebuild my engine - and on Nissan engines that could be a lot of miles 200-300K miles.
In my 240 book it say that I should replace it around 80-100K and that time has come and gone. So i guess that I will just let it implode.:D

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
If they suggest replacing it, I would go ahead and do it. The work for it can't be THAT bad if it's a required thing before 100,000 miles. You would think that a lot of people would still be taking their cars to the dealership, which means the dealership would have to be capaible of doing that sort of replacement. And as we all know, dealerships aren't the most competent shops for major work on a car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I get home I will scan and post the instructions for this job. It is way over my head. At least all by myself. I would want the hands of someone that is good at this sort of thing.

For god sake, I thought that I killed my car at Buttonwillow and it was just some water on the plugs:p

so you may see how I need the help:)

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Gunnar said:

For god sake, I thought that I killed my car at Buttonwillow and it was just some water on the plugs:p

so you may see how I need the help:)
Don't feel so bad, I'm in the same boat as you. If I get a car for racing I hopefully can become a quick learner because I can't afford to hire a mechanic for everything:(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris Robertson said:
It really doesn't take much of a blade to impeller water. Most of them only have a couple of degrees in their angle and they do a great job. You can barely see the sweep of the blade in the pics, but I'm sure that by replacing it you'll get a lot better flow. I'm surprised too that you didn't have problems with water getting stuck in the lower parts of the system.
while this is very true, there is NO angle at all on that wounded impeller, it's missing more than half!!!

it should have another plate with fins sandwiched inbetween (looks kinda like a brake rotor, with the cooling fins inbetween the pad surfaces)

with the added pressure, my upper radiator hose burst on my way to work yesterday on the 405 @ Harbor blvd...(it was on it's way out anyway) good thing i had another one or i'd have been screwed with a towing fee. Turns out i only lost an hour work time and i actually got a job offer while i was waiting for my dad to swing by with the hose and some water....go f'ing figure....an old friend stopped to help out, he was like, man i knew i recognized that car :) we got to talking and he mentioned some new positions opening up next week....man i could sure use a pay increase!!!

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
mazdaspeedwest said:

we got to talking and he mentioned some new positions opening up next week....man i could sure use a pay increase!!!
You know, if David were greedy he could say that you owe him part of your pay increase. Because without his help on your car, you would have never had this problem and thus would probably have missed out on the opportunity for a pay raise. Since it's a possibility... say he COULD ask for 25% after taxes ;-)

Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
But if had replaced the hose (which I told him to do), he wouldn't have gotten stranded, so that was all Darryl's fault. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey, did you guys see the cool article in this months GRM about Protege's? Very cool, they have pics of a silver one like DA's.

I must say that I really liked the nationals F125 report the best though... :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Davard said:
But if had replaced the hose (which I told him to do), he wouldn't have gotten stranded, so that was all Darryl's fault. :)
ya totally my fault, i've had the hose for months.....never got around to putting it on....LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris Robertson said:

You know, if David were greedy he could say that you owe him part of your pay increase. Because without his help on your car, you would have never had this problem and thus would probably have missed out on the opportunity for a pay raise. Since it's a possibility... say he COULD ask for 25% after taxes ;-)

Chris
shut up dude

:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
mazdaspeedwest said:
Yes, i heard about it, but it should be a gold (champagne) Protege and it belongs to Jesse Naughton of Florida.
Jesse got in because David Wallens was talking (email) to me about the article, and I mentioned that I knew someone who had an STS Protege in Florida that would probably be available for a photo shoot. Turns out, Jesse's dad lived about two blocks from one of the GRM people, in the same town where their offices are.

Will and I were supposed to have sidebars in the article, but it will probably be a few days before I get my copy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gunnar said:
So how 'bout it David? You interested in taking apart a KA24DE?
Got an FSM?

i'll help, i'm good at taking stuff apart :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts