The Lotus Cars Community banner

Do you believe there is any real bias in any of the scoring in the Olympics?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching quite a bit of the Olympics and seeing what has gone on, I decided to get some opinions here. Here goes:

Do you believe there is a legitimate bias in any of the scoring in the Olympics?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I just think the new point system for scoring gymnastics is a mess. Even the judges don't seem to know what is going on. And they took away the perfect 10!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Put up the poll faster and I won't have to keep making these silly, useless posts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like the new system. It allows a lot of flexibility. Just because you attempted a really hard routine and failed shouldn't mean the end of the world. It allows a lot of creativity. Hell, in the old system, if you want to try something new, there would be tons of deductions if you mess up. And it's not entirely true that the perfect 10 is gone. The execution is capped at 10 I believe and you can still earn a 10 (which is perfect) in execution.

Edit: It's a new system. Would you buy a totally redesigned car when it came out, or would you wait for all the kinks to be worked out? Same thing, give it some time... a few world champs here, some international events there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is a common phenomena. Judges are often affected by how loud the crowd cheers, so whoevers hosting the olympics tends to win a bit more than they should.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Judges also are affected by other biases, such as the order in which the athletes compete, based on a study by Damisch and her colleagues (it was published a couple of years ago) that looked at scoring in the 2004 Olympic Games.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
There was an article out today that compared the medal distributions among countries for events that had true, measured 'winners,' ie swimming, volleyball, track and field, etc. and those that have scores based on 'judgements', ie gymnastics, diving, etc.

If you take out the 'judged' competition and look only at the objective competitions, the Chinese lead in Golds all but disappears, and the US walks away with the overall medal count by a large margin through competition so far.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That's a fascinating observation! It sure seems biased, especially when a Chinese gymnast can go to her knees on a vault and still beat out a clean US gymnast vault. I call shinanigans.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Considering that the Olympics are held in more US cities than any other country, I don't think we can complain about bias. It just happens to be China's turn.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Isn't it always the case that the country holding it tends to get more medals? So while biased, yes, it is essentially China's turn as noted above. Not fair for the not-ever-hosting countries, but oh well... And seriously, those Chinese girl gymnasts looked hella young! Fake birth age, ya think?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
When one judge gives 4.7 and one 8.5. No, I think there isn't any favoritism

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a fascinating observation! It sure seems biased, especially when a Chinese gymnast can go to her knees on a vault and still beat out a clean US gymnast vault. I call shinanigans.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't they have international judges so as to eliminate bias? They do that in soccer.
The winner of a soccer match is the team that scored more goals. It isn't subjective like gymnastics scoring is. The other problem is that the countries that are scoring gymnastics tend to be inexperienced.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I competed in men's gymnastis for over 6 years and can tell you that a lot of people don't fully understand the judging criteria. Some "routines" regardless if executed perfectly do not "rate" a 10.0 score. The routine has a "value" assessed from the very beginning based on the difficulty of the routine. The deductions start from the value of the routine. If the US's routine has a difficulty value of a 9.6 and the Chinese has a routine difficulty value of a 10, then it is very possible that the Chinese gymnast could make a mistake and still receive a higher score. This is the entire purpose of system, to reward the gymnast with a risk/reward for taking the extra risk in doing a harder routine. The opposite is when they don't "need" to do a extra hard routine, they will start with a lower value routine but focus on executing it well to keep the lead or to just maintain it.

Any score in any sport is "Subjective" and "Biased". This is why it's called "Judging".

Tim

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
everybody hates america.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts