The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is as much therapy as anything else. Had a 2014 Evora S, 6sp a couple of years ago (after a couple of Porsches and some BMWs). Ditched it because it was rife with problems (most of which I posted here about... thanks to all who chimed in a couple years back), many of them very expensive. Car really lived up to the L-o-T-U-S acronym we all know of.

Within month of selling, I missed it. I ended up with my 3rd Cayman S (the newer 4cyl ones). Rock solid, capable... more capable than the Evora, TBH... still, did nothing for me; sold it 8 months and 2000 miles later. Now I'm in a (oddly enough) '19 Corvette (front engine one, not new mid-engine one). Like it better than Cayman, actually, but it's... missing something.

So, I've been test driving everything under the sun again (under $100K USD). 911's (various generations), Caymans, M2's, M4's, C63's... after ever test drive, my Evora pops back into my head.

This go around, I would probably do a 400 or try to squeeze my budget around a GT. But... I'm scared. My Evora was so troublesome. I know what people say about accepting little glitches but Some problems were major.
  • A single night in the rain filling up footwells to the brim with water
  • 2 more minor water leaks, in boot and rear seat area
  • Alarm going off all the time,whether it was supposed to be active or not.
  • Window motor issues (and availability of the new motors)
  • Other random minor electrical...
  • Manual Transmission sounded like it would fall out of car (and many thousands of dollars to get to it, if it did develop a problem)
This later point of the tranny is what sealed the car's fate. The diesel-truck-sound is well-documented, and I hear it's the same tranny in newer ones? But mine got worse over the year I had it, and I've read/heard reports of transmissions, even in newer 400's, which exhibited similarly unusual/extraordinary levels of noise which, while under warranty, had been dismissed by Lotus as "normal". (The videos I have heard sounded as bad as mine, and it sounded unlivable).

To that end, if the other issues aren't so common, I was thinking MAYBE I could got automatic trans to alleviate the fear of the manual.

Do folks have general thoughts on quality? I've seen reports here of some problems with early 400's still being glitchy w/ electronics, but haven't read about water ingress still being a big thing, and maybe the transmission noise is less common than I think? Also, have people seen improvements in parts supply chain since Geely stepped in (when inevitable warranty claim needs to be made)?

·
Registered
50 Posts
This post is as much therapy as anything else. Had a 2014 Evora S, 6sp a couple of years ago (after a couple of Porsches and some BMWs). Ditched it because it was rife with problems (most of which I posted here about... thanks to all who chimed in a couple years back), many of them very expensive. Car really lived up to the L-o-T-U-S acronym we all know of.

Within month of selling, I missed it. I ended up with my 3rd Cayman S (the newer 4cyl ones). Rock solid, capable... more capable than the Evora, TBH... still, did nothing for me; sold it 8 months and 2000 miles later. Now I'm in a (oddly enough) '19 Corvette (front engine one, not new mid-engine one). Like it better than Cayman, actually, but it's... missing something.

So, I've been test driving everything under the sun again (under $100K USD). 911's (various generations), Caymans, M2's, M4's, C63's... after ever test drive, my Evora pops back into my head.

This go around, I would probably do a 400 or try to squeeze my budget around a GT. But... I'm scared. My Evora was so troublesome. I know what people say about accepting little glitches but Some problems were major.
  • A single night in the rain filling up footwells to the brim with water
  • 2 more minor water leaks, in boot and rear seat area
  • Alarm going off all the time,whether it was supposed to be active or not.
  • Window motor issues (and availability of the new motors)
  • Other random minor electrical...
  • Manual Transmission sounded like it would fall out of car (and many thousands of dollars to get to it, if it did develop a problem)
This later point of the tranny is what sealed the car's fate. The diesel-truck-sound is well-documented, and I hear it's the same tranny in newer ones? But mine got worse over the year I had it, and I've read/heard reports of transmissions, even in newer 400's, which also similarly unusual/extraordinary levels of noise which, while under warranty, had been dismissed by Lotus as "normal". (The videos I have heard sounded as bad as mine, and it sounded unlivable).

To that end, if the other issues aren't so common, I was thinking MAYBE I could got automatic trans to alleviate the fear of the manual.

Do folks have general thoughts on quality? I've seen reports here of some problems with early 400's still being glitchy w/ electronics, but haven't read about water ingress still being a big thing, and maybe the transmission noise is less common than I think? Also, have people seen improvements in parts supply chain since Geely stepped in (when inevitable warranty claim needs to be made)?
OMG, so many awesome cars under your belt. Just wondering, did you try driving a few year-old pre-owned Aston Martin Vantage S or Vantage GT? Not as surgical and quick as the 911 but pure joy. Cheers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My '17 E400 has had the diesel-like transmission chatter since day one, but it's totally livable. I'm at 4k miles now and i feel like it's actually gotten better, although that could just be me getting used to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, folks. That's good to hear!

OMG, so many awesome cars under your belt. Just wondering, did you try driving a few year-old pre-owned Aston Martin Vantage S or Vantage GT? Not as surgical and quick as the 911 but pure joy. Cheers.
Hehe, well, to be clear, I didn't own all of them... just some, and had driven the others a fair bit.

But, no, actually, I kind of forgot about Aston, TBH. I guess I'd heard... "stories"... about cost of ownership years ago and kind of put them to the back of my mind, but I hadn't looked into it with great depth. It's one of the reasons I don't attempt to stretch into McLaren or Ferrari or such... 15K transmission replacements and all that. I'm also, unfortunately, not the typical demographic in that, while I have the means to stretch into some things in the sub-$150K range, I live in Seattle, don't have a garage, and sometimes these cars will have to stay on the street in front of my house, in the weather, so I have to adjust my desires accordingly.

I suppose I should take a look at the Vantages, though, just to see :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
hahaha, I can empathize with what you are saying OP. I went through the same withdrawal symptoms after getting rid of my first Evora 400 and ended up coming back.

I had a 17 Evora 400 that was a total lemon. Sat in the shop 2 months out of the 3 I owned it and dealer bought it back from me (NOT Lotus). My conversations with head of Lotus North America were not pleasant and I swore to never drive one again.

I bought an F-Type R. Brilliant car. But like you said, after the Lotus, it was missing something.

6 months later, I got back in another Evora 400.

Like you, I have had many many cars all of them great cars in their own right. I am not sure the Evora handles better than all of them or goes faster than all or is as nice as all. Plenty of better cars out there. But the Evora is the most exotic, rare and special (and possibly the best looking car under $300k) of all and that's what makes me special every time I get in it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
W
Thanks, folks. That's good to hear!

Hehe, well, to be clear, I didn't own all of them... just some, and had driven the others a fair bit.

But, no, actually, I kind of forgot about Aston, TBH. I guess I'd heard... "stories"... about cost of ownership years ago and kind of put them to the back of my mind, but I hadn't looked into it with great depth. It's one of the reasons I don't attempt to stretch into McLaren or Ferrari or such... 15K transmission replacements and all that. I'm also, unfortunately, not the typical demographic in that, while I have the means to stretch into some things in the sub-$150K range, I live in Seattle, don't have a garage, and sometimes these cars will have to stay on the street in front of my house, in the weather, so I have to adjust my desires accordingly.

I suppose I should take a look at the Vantages, though, just to see :)
Well, all your points make a lot of sense including parking the car in the street. I just traded-in my Elise for a manual 2015 Vantage GT. As you well know, two completely different breeds (and price). The Elise was too ‘hard core’, stiff and impractical for me (I don’t track my car). The Vantage is a dream. Fun to drive also in the city. Having said that never driven an Evora and didn’t go for an Evora as personally I’m not in love with the way the car looks from the front. Emotions play a big role, so go with your gut feeling. Cheers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is the perennial problem with Lotus owership. Once you have driven one you realise it is just about the best driving car available at any price, let alone in the up to 150k bracket. Then you realise it has some faults or quirks. It isn't the best looking car, the AM has it for me, but the AM is a heavy old lump when driven , compared to the Evora. The Mclaren is a sexy looking beast, modern and drives well, but it has expensive running costs and is no more, perhaps less, reliable than a Lotus. A ferrari of similar age looks a million dollars, has a gorgeous cabin but is just ridiculously expensive to buy and as ridiculously expensive to run.

The result is that I've tried all types over a lifetime of driving and still I keep running a Lotus, currently a lightly modified S1 Evora. When or if Lotus bring out a successor that will be my next new car.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
If an Aston is on your short list, you might want to look at the Lexus LC 500. We had one right until making the jump to the Mac. In fact, this is a review of our very car:

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
2 Evoras. 2010 LE car. 23?k flawless. 2nd owner has never reported any issues to me
2011 S . 31k, 60++ track days....flawless
2005 Elise. 34k....seal for sandwich filter. Easy repair.

You said rain inside and window issues..........Parked outside, low battery, windows needed a reset....human error most likely involved. Cars with rear boot luggage retainers leaked around those holes. Remove, caulk, done.
Alarm also sounds like voltage issues. These cars need a tender if parked more than a few days. There is a recurrent theme in your issues.
2014's were very much complete with upgrades, quality etc. Not that I have had an quality issues with my 2011S....btw better seats than 400's and beyond, and prettier interior IMHO.

Good luck with Aston repair costs. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THEM, but went with Maserati GTS for proven design and relatively few issues. Mine is flawless.

If you buy any of these exotics they need a proper garage....rent one, garage that is. 21st century, electronics intensive cars are designed to be daily driven. If not, they ALL need to be tendered.

BRUSS said it all. My S1 S is modded just right for my needs and weight loss has me down ~3070lbs max. So weight loss compared to a typical 400 cuts the performance edge. A Sport 410 would be a consideration. I will only upgrade to a GT if mine gets totaled etc...New model will be my next car...unless they give us an Exige V6 400......

·
Less is Better
2,480 Posts
German cars have no personality. Porsches and BMWs are the obvious "go with the herd" option because they are everywhere. My experience with my Porsche and Audi was that they are extremely competent but also cold and uninteresting. They were also expensive to maintain.

Other European brands are far more engaging and somewhat quirky. I love them for it. Go buy the Evora. And by the way, both my Aston and my Lotus are more reliable than my Boxster or Audi were. But if you want cheap reliability, buy a Japanese car. I can't get anything to fail on my Infiniti.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a Lotus newbie I am loving reading these columns. They are all so relevant. I bought a new 2017 Evora 400 with 675 miles. 2 weeks in I've put 1000 miles of my own. It's been 2 weeks of pure pleasure thus far, minus a few hiccups. One autocross event down which was exceptional, the car is like a scalpel out there. The biggest issue I'm having now is trying to decide which girl to take out all the time - My M2 Comp is getting pissed sitting in the garage by herself all the time!! I put in an initial review which is in the forum somewhere. The issues I mention are all warranty deals and quite minor IMO. I have been trying to just "go with it" and laugh it off considering the history of the marque:
1. Little cracked piece of trim on the dash which was there when I purchased. Its the little mesh trim to the top left of the gauge cluster on the dashboard, the thin black trim.
2. Drivers seat bolster has already failed and will be addressed when it goes in to the dealer soon.
3. The rear hatch refuses to open now with just the key fob or door button. I have to use the failsafe cable behind the passenger seat.

I'm constantly entertained by the comments and looks while out in public. Even the scruffiest, dirtiest pan handler took the time to do a thumbs up dancing yelling what a nice car, never happens in the M for sure. I have never driven a Ferrari or similar car but it seems the Lotus receives a different, more respectful greeting and I consistently to try and do my part letting in other cars and just not being a douchebag in general while out and about. Every time a drive thru a school zone I feel like a giant lollipop on wheels, activity stops...

The Lotus is hands down a super sexy car and I love driving it. Yes, I have made the random trip to the garage just to take a glance... Here's to more days of reliability!!

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Nice to see that the proper striping is still available.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My 2017 Evora 400 manual transmission has been super reliable, no problems. 10k miles of city and highway, never tracked but plenty of spirited driving And with the GRP pipe sounds like a dream. People driving NSX, 911 Turbo, Huracán, corvette, M4 tend to get jealous when hearing my car pass them. LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will say driving the M2 comp and the evora back to back makes me wish for more power in the evora, or at least more torque. It doesn’t have that kick you in the back immediacy at full throttle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will say driving the M2 comp and the evora back to back makes me wish for more power in the evora, or at least more torque. It doesn’t have that kick you in the back immediacy at full throttle.
I hear you. I found myself kind of enjoying my AMG 45 more than my Elise, and finally let my Elise go last week (also too impractical for someone who lives in the city). Anyways, you have an awesome pair of cars! Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hear you. I found myself kind of enjoying my AMG 45 more than my Elise, and finally let my Elise go last week (also too impractical for someone who lives in the city). Anyways, you have an awesome pair of cars! Cheers
Thanks! It was either get rid of the M or get rid of the girlfriend...I think I made the right choice...hahahaha

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Rough powertrains always feel faster. Our Evora powerplants are damn near ideal linear.......that kind of predictable power is a racer's dream, but as a result, doesn't feel as fast.....but it will readily dispose of your M2.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I bought my 2017 E400 new in early summer 2018 and daily drive it. I have almost 12,000 miles and have tracked the car once (great day - no issues whatsoever). I have had only one major issue - my air conditioning was not working properly from the start. Lotus replaced my system under warranty and it too far too long of course (2 weeks+) but has been working perfectly since. Other than this there were a number of generally minor things that were addressed during normal maintenance visits - full list: retucking my seat covers, replacing the footwell toeboard due to the single recall on the car, slow leak in my supercharger coolant reservoir, replacing my wheel lugs since they were making the "breaking twigs sound". I went into this purchase with some trepidation but frankly have been more than happy with the reliability of the car which to me, has been as good as my E92 M3.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts