The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
OP: "I live in Seattle, don't have a garage, and sometimes these cars will have to stay on the street in front of my house"

I can't imagine leaving a fiberglass-bodied car on the screen for a long duration. I wouldn't get back into Lotus for that reason alone.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I live in Seattle and daily drive mine except for awful rainy days or snow/ice. My big key is having a garage. It does drip slightly in the front corner of both windows. Apparently there is a fix (TSB) but I haven't done it. Everything else is awesome. Just broke 54,000 miles and everything is solid. Plug change recently and it was super easy and cheap. It is my second Evora and I've never found a "feel" like it so can't see going to anything else. My next move will be to a 2018 400 or a GT once the prices drop. It's heavenly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think there is no way you can be assured of Lotus due to hand-built and lower production quality nature.

Even if a certain production year is more reliable than others, there might be an issue that is specific to your car depending on where it was purchased and how the car was driven.

Personally, I've realized that Lotus driving takes a special part in my heart... I made friends where I could drive various cars from different brands (not necessary supercars thou, more like enthusiast cars.) and I realized that Lotus feels really special to drive.

Personally, the car would I take a look at Evora GT or Evora 400 price range is
Used Cayman GT4 (look at BaT, price is falling!)
Or as you said GTS 4.0.

I would test drive them before making any decision honestly.

My only issue with my current car (2010 NA) is gear shifter and when felt that Lotus Evora GT shifter car felt totally different. In fact, Lotus Evora GT/400 is mechanically extremely different from previous versions.... this may not be good thing as it brings new production challenges, but I honestly think difference is more than just a facelift...

·
Illegal Alien
4,716 Posts
Some Series 1 cars did have unexplainable water leaks around firewall/windshield into footwells. Series 2 4xx/GT cars seem to have taken this issue away. Series 2 cars had lots of reengineering to improve quality and I think to improve assembly efficiency as a cost cutting move, which also improved quality through less complex assembly operations; assembly of the GT's seems improved again, maybe that is due to Geely ownership giving the workers more confidence. Paint quality was very good on the 1's dropped off on the 4xx's and has been improved again on the GT's. As to manual vs Automatic I would not uses gear noise as a reason to go to the auto. Get an Auto if you want it, get an manual if you want that. The manuals are somewhat loud, this is not a sign of weakness or imminent failure; it it bothers you press the throttle, the SC whine and intake will overcome; not enough then delete the 3rd Cat, its only there for Californication.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I can't imagine leaving a fiberglass-bodied car on the screen for a long duration. I wouldn't get back into Lotus for that reason alone.
Well, I understand why you might say that; some parts of some cities are well known for their passively destructive prowess. But on my street it's not quite as bad as you might imagine. I live on a fairly quiet street, at this location for 20 years, with one car or another sitting out front. Only one time in 20 years have I had even a minor incident. On that note, it's kind of least of my concerns... the type of damage that could be incurred in such a situation generally won't make a car undrivable for long periods and would at worst be covered by insurance (and, my rates already would reflect the costs). Fiberglass... pretty much anything anyone would hit in this situation, on any car made in the last 2 decades (or more) is fiberglass or PE. FWIW, my Corvette (composites galore) is doing just fine when it spends its night in the street :)

So it's really more about things that would normally be covered by a warranty (or not, in the case of expired one).

You said rain inside and window issues..........Parked outside, low battery, windows needed a reset....human error most likely involved.
Well, sounds like you may be suggesting somehow I'm at fault for my window and windshield motor problems... if so, no, User error does not cause the window motor nor the windshield wiper motor to start grinding along their normal glide path like someone poured shot into the gears. My point in bringing them up was more about the supply chain; how long they took to get replacement motors and their relative expense, even compared to motors on various Porsches, etc. I'm hopeful Geely cash infusion helps on this front.

... There is a recurrent theme in your issues.
Well, not really, though with limited info I've given, I can see how you might see it that way. Pretty broad mix of mechanical, structural, and electrical. More likely, and something I'm willing to accept, I may have just had a lemon... else I wouldn't be here asking for opinions :p

Anyway, thanks to all who've commented. I'm warming back up to the idea. Like others mention... there are, for the money, better looking (though I do actually legitimately like the way both generations of Evora look) and more technically capable cars for the money, but nothing else has ever felt quite as special to be in as my Evora did.

·
Registered
81 Posts
its a strange thing. i hear so much negative comments about the S models. I spoke to 12 year Lotus tech before buying my 2014 S. His take - the last few years of the S models were really solid as the early issues were resolved. he also said the supercharger's were very reliable as well. From him the early 17 400's had some issues and many had supercharger problems. any first year run will have issues. Other than an oil line gasket issue I Have been very happy and I have put 10,000 miles on mine. I guess there is a lemon in every bunch, sounds like you just got a bad car.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
My point in bringing them up was more about the supply chain; how long they took to get replacement motors and their relative expense, even compared to motors on various Porsches, etc. I'm hopeful Geely cash infusion helps on this front.
I don't think the parts availability has improved much with the addition of Geely's cash. That's not to say it's impossible to get replacements, but the wait time can definitely vary greatly depending on what part(s) you're after, and if any of the stateside dealers bothered to order a few extra for their shelves.

I doubt we'll ever see Porsche-level part availability though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 2012 E
This post is as much therapy as anything else. Had a 2014 Evora S, 6sp a couple of years ago (after a couple of Porsches and some BMWs). Ditched it because it was rife with problems (most of which I posted here about... thanks to all who chimed in a couple years back), many of them very expensive. Car really lived up to the L-o-T-U-S acronym we all know of.

Within month of selling, I missed it. I ended up with my 3rd Cayman S (the newer 4cyl ones). Rock solid, capable... more capable than the Evora, TBH... still, did nothing for me; sold it 8 months and 2000 miles later. Now I'm in a (oddly enough) '19 Corvette (front engine one, not new mid-engine one). Like it better than Cayman, actually, but it's... missing something.

So, I've been test driving everything under the sun again (under $100K USD). 911's (various generations), Caymans, M2's, M4's, C63's... after ever test drive, my Evora pops back into my head.

This go around, I would probably do a 400 or try to squeeze my budget around a GT. But... I'm scared. My Evora was so troublesome. I know what people say about accepting little glitches but Some problems were major.
  • A single night in the rain filling up footwells to the brim with water
  • 2 more minor water leaks, in boot and rear seat area
  • Alarm going off all the time,whether it was supposed to be active or not.
  • Window motor issues (and availability of the new motors)
  • Other random minor electrical...
  • Manual Transmission sounded like it would fall out of car (and many thousands of dollars to get to it, if it did develop a problem)
This later point of the tranny is what sealed the car's fate. The diesel-truck-sound is well-documented, and I hear it's the same tranny in newer ones? But mine got worse over the year I had it, and I've read/heard reports of transmissions, even in newer 400's, which exhibited similarly unusual/extraordinary levels of noise which, while under warranty, had been dismissed by Lotus as "normal". (The videos I have heard sounded as bad as mine, and it sounded unlivable).

To that end, if the other issues aren't so common, I was thinking MAYBE I could got automatic trans to alleviate the fear of the manual.

Do folks have general thoughts on quality? I've seen reports here of some problems with early 400's still being glitchy w/ electronics, but haven't read about water ingress still being a big thing, and maybe the transmission noise is less common than I think? Also, have people seen improvements in parts supply chain since Geely stepped in (when inevitable warranty claim needs to be made)?
[/QU
This post is as much therapy as anything else. Had a 2014 Evora S, 6sp a couple of years ago (after a couple of Porsches and some BMWs). Ditched it because it was rife with problems (most of which I posted here about... thanks to all who chimed in a couple years back), many of them very expensive. Car really lived up to the L-o-T-U-S acronym we all know of.

Within month of selling, I missed it. I ended up with my 3rd Cayman S (the newer 4cyl ones). Rock solid, capable... more capable than the Evora, TBH... still, did nothing for me; sold it 8 months and 2000 miles later. Now I'm in a (oddly enough) '19 Corvette (front engine one, not new mid-engine one). Like it better than Cayman, actually, but it's... missing something.

So, I've been test driving everything under the sun again (under $100K USD). 911's (various generations), Caymans, M2's, M4's, C63's... after ever test drive, my Evora pops back into my head.

This go around, I would probably do a 400 or try to squeeze my budget around a GT. But... I'm scared. My Evora was so troublesome. I know what people say about accepting little glitches but Some problems were major.
  • A single night in the rain filling up footwells to the brim with water
  • 2 more minor water leaks, in boot and rear seat area
  • Alarm going off all the time,whether it was supposed to be active or not.
  • Window motor issues (and availability of the new motors)
  • Other random minor electrical...
  • Manual Transmission sounded like it would fall out of car (and many thousands of dollars to get to it, if it did develop a problem)
This later point of the tranny is what sealed the car's fate. The diesel-truck-sound is well-documented, and I hear it's the same tranny in newer ones? But mine got worse over the year I had it, and I've read/heard reports of transmissions, even in newer 400's, which exhibited similarly unusual/extraordinary levels of noise which, while under warranty, had been dismissed by Lotus as "normal". (The videos I have heard sounded as bad as mine, and it sounded unlivable).

To that end, if the other issues aren't so common, I was thinking MAYBE I could got automatic trans to alleviate the fear of the manual.

Do folks have general thoughts on quality? I've seen reports here of some problems with early 400's still being glitchy w/ electronics, but haven't read about water ingress still being a big thing, and maybe the transmission noise is less common than I think? Also, have people seen improvements in parts supply chain since Geely stepped in (when inevitable warranty claim needs to be made)?

I own a 2012 Evora S with about 19,000 miles on it. Had the master cylinder replaced and the entire transmission replaced under warranty within the first 2 yrs of ownership. Have also had to have the subframe bolts for the front and rear tightened once each due to creaks that developed after driving into my very pitched and cantilevered California driveway many times. Numerous other niggles, but I largely dealt with them myself. Since those early days, it's been pretty rock solid. My daily driver is an RS7 and I had an RS4 before that. I have driven numerous other high end performance cars, both on the road and track. These cars definitely have their build issues, but I still get the same joy and visceral experience from my Evora each time I drive it after 8 years of ownership. Every time I think of replacing it, I just can't bring myself to do it because I am doubtful I can replicate the specialness of the experience, analog nature of the vehicle (in the best way), and the fact that all it's joys are something you can experience at sane road speeds. These cars occupy a niche almost solely to themselves these days. There are many cars that are better built, faster, put up better/objectively superior performance results, but they all lack the soul and purity of the Evora. I think it will go down as one of the great purist cars of the last several decades, warts and all.

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Amen brother!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live in Seattle and daily drive mine except for awful rainy days or snow/ice. My big key is having a garage. It does drip slightly in the front corner of both windows. Apparently there is a fix (TSB) but I haven't done it. Everything else is awesome. Just broke 54,000 miles and everything is solid. Plug change recently and it was super easy and cheap. It is my second Evora and I've never found a "feel" like it so can't see going to anything else. My next move will be to a 2018 400 or a GT once the prices drop. It's heavenly.
What is that fix for the small drip at window corners?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not to derail the thread but I'd also like to know. Adjusting the window helped a little but I would say it's still not 100% fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I believe replacing the triangle cheater seal that goes around the mirror mount is what I saw mentioned a while back.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I think it is to inject some silicone into the bulb-seal air chamber to make it stiffer and poke out more right at the point it meets that side mirror triangle.
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
its a strange thing. i hear so much negative comments about the S models. I spoke to 12 year Lotus tech before buying my 2014 S. His take - the last few years of the S models were really solid as the early issues were resolved. he also said the supercharger's were very reliable as well. From him the early 17 400's had some issues and many had supercharger problems. any first year run will have issues. Other than an oil line gasket issue I Have been very happy and I have put 10,000 miles on mine. I guess there is a lemon in every bunch, sounds like you just got a bad car.
OP here, and I guess, having had a 2014 Evora S I suppose I should say I wasn't really trying to tease out the reliability or lack thereof of that particular generation, in part because I have about a year of actual experience with one (a quite eventful one I might add) but also because I'm more interseted in "something different" in the new generation.

Buuuuut.... having that said :)...

regarding the 14's... I wonder if it is/was a weird phenomenon I've seen ocasionally with some cars of limited numbers at various times. Seems like sometimes the ones in circulation to be had on the market at a particular time might may have, in fact, been in circulation precisely because they were problem cars. Otherwise, their owners are hanging on to them.

I at some point, I was on the hunt for, specifically, 2012 Porsche Cayman S. 2011 was a similar year, but I tested a '12 and thought it the best of that generation and really wanted one. Don't know how many there were, but for a year I could only find base models and R models, but couldn't find '12 S's anywhere (they're still hard to find). Only ones I could find at the time were either 2, 3, even 4 owner ones, ones with accidents on their record, or a couple with like 50-60K miles on them. I looked at some of the 2+ owner ones and they were obviously heavily worked over and/or ill cared for.

So, maybe that combined with limited numbers are why some groups of people tend to maybe end up with the lemons?

Which reminds me... In actual truth, I was the 3rd owner of the '14 Evora S I had. That should have told me something, but I let the salesperson talk me out of my suspicions. Long story, and curse his name (though I won't say it here, as he's not with that company any more, but my experience included legal action after chasing them for 3 months for my title). Some parts of his story didn't add up, and I should have known better. But, I was smitten :/

Anyway... maybe that's something, and that's why I haven't let it poison me against the brand entirely.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi rjm1, I think you are right. That's the reason why the asking price for an original owner car is higher than car with multiple owners. It has been raining so much in the South East for the last few weeks. I drove through hours of heavy rain at 70+ mph and had to park outside all night with heavy rain - while visiting my friend. The next morning, I did not find any leak in my car or in the trunk. I have a 2013 Evora S and I'm the original owner. I really like the new Evora GT but can't justify the upgrade price when my S treated me so well for the past 6 years of ownership. My father’s Mercedes SLK 350 is more expensive to maintain than my S. Other owners also have issue with the oem battery; however, mine lasted so long that have to give up waiting so I can upgrade to the Shoria battery about a years ago.

I would have traded up for a GT if I’m unhappy with my S. If the next Evora is 500 HP or major redesign, then I would consider selling my S. Otherwise, it’s going to stay with me until I passed her down to my kids.

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Glad to see I'm not alone in wanting to keep my RELIABLE S. Seen as I bought mine new for 60K loaded and from all the posts recently strongly suspect its still worth ~40K, I find it a challenge to get a well appointed one (minus the overpriced sport exhaust which I can have a superior unit built for 25-30%) and pay ~55-60K for a car I flog at the track. Mine is at a point where a few chips etc don't bum me out...granted mine still looks better than any I have been in for instructing. I have a leftover 2018 on my radar if mine gets balled up. Currently I know I want a 2+0 in a GT and there are none out there.

I still keep praying they finally give us a V6 Exige..........

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve got a 2018 400, that’s been pretty decent after the first run of minor quirks that got fixed under warranty (I daily drive mine).

I had:

• the airbag cover replaced from lifting
  • clicking on right then
  • bubbling paint on gate cover
  • the right door handle broke
  • rear seat forwarding pulley broke
  • blown speaker
  • trunk release only works after several presses
Those were all fixed and has since been fine. No other issues - 2k+ miles.

Mine does sound like a semi truck, but you get used to it as one of the Lotus’s quirks.

Bit as everyone else says above, I’ve driven Porsche’s & Audi’s, BMW and Mercedes. Audi was the most relatively in my experience, but just something about the Lotus. My friend had a Lambo. Said the same thing. Went back to owning a Lotus after “upgrading”.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Mine does sound like a semi truck, but you get used to it as one of the Lotus’s quirks.
Yeah. I know I sort of harped on that, but in mine, it started as that semi noise upon first engagement and eventually became something of a continuous whining scrape that you could hear up to 2500-2800 RPM in multiple gears. There was actually a (perhaps infamous?) video posted by an intensely disillusioned owner of a new '17 evora 400 when they first came out, was as bad or worse than mine.

Thankfully doesn't sound like it's the norm, any more now than in previous generation, which gives me hope. I just need to be sure to be able to drive it or get someone who I can trust to do so before I buy again.

On mine, in retrospect, I have at least some evidence that previous owner(s) put improper transaxle fluid in and may have contributed to actual damage.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts