The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked into my dealership with my deposit paperwork about an hour ago to place my order.

They told me:
  1. "We can't take orders yet."
  2. "MSRP? We have not been guaranteeing MSRP."
  3. "We cannot guarantee what number you will be."
What a JOKE. I could barely contain myself.

I sat there for a half hour while the manager tried to convince me that I am not entitled to MSRP:

"We don't guarantee MSRP. The guy who wrote this contract is no longer with us, and one of the reasons is because he's been making promises he cannot fulfill. I don't know how my signature got on this contract, but I can tell you that we have been writing all of our contracts at 'Market Value' only."

My retort:

"Sir, prior to coming down to your dealership to place my deposit, I spoke to you on the phone, and you made me the same guarantee. This was my stipulation at the time of my deposit. I expect you to honor this agreement or lose me as a customer."

At that, he agreed to the MSRP terms.

I still don't know when I'm getting it or when I can even place my order. They claimed today that there are 30 people ahead of me. Far cry from the 5-8 they claimed a week ago (and even farther from the 0 they claimed prior to placing my deposit).

I guess it's to be expected. Car dealers are the scum of the earth. I swear I'm going to tear someone a new ******* if they f*ck me over. They don't know who I am. Good. They will.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Steve,
Sound like a squirrely bunch you're dealing with, you might be well advised to shop one of the new lotus dealers (don't know who they are).

I'd recommend Lotus of Atlanta, but at 87 deposits already not sure you'd want to wait.
Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Another reputable dealer is Star Motors in Houston, Wally Newcomb is terrific! Rather than deal with someone you don't trust, and since you are way down on the list anyway, find someone who lives up to their word!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Unreal that you have to put up with this crap to spend $45k with them. Lotus dealers should be happy that they are going to go from selling 2 cars a year to selling 50+. But no, it's all greed. I'm sure more than a few folks will walk and go buy a Boxster or Z4. Lotus USA is a good group, they can't be happy about situations like yours. I hope it works out ok.
FWIW, my dealer seems on the up and up. MSRP and the spot they guaranteed me 2 years ago.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It's because they don't know what the MSRP is going to be with the exchange rate being what it is

·
Registered
963 Posts
It's just a car. If my dealer tries this with me, I walk. I'm in no hurry. I like the Elise, but will never pay more than MSRP for a car. I can't afford one the way it is and it's going to stretch me. If they try to screw me, the market segment they are going after is getting screwed also.

I have faith in Dimmit and will hope they are honest people. I have nothing to show otherwise from them.

Sorry for your bad luck, I'm sure it's going to become a common post with situations like yours. :(

Come on Dimmit, don't let me down. :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Nope regarding exchange rate and msrp. The price which was quoted early in the dealers guide will in all probability be the msrp. What they did differently was to brake out the touring package as a separate item and offer the base car with more barebones stuff to keep it under the 40k barrier, had the car based higher than that would've had adverse affect on buyers in my opinion
Chris

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
also charging extra for every color other than red/yellow was a neat trick...

·
Registered
963 Posts
ivan1 said:
also charging extra for every color other than red/yellow was a neat trick...
Is this a fact? I've always been wanting yellow from the start, but if it's one of two standard colors, then it will be too common for me. That's crazy only offering two colors as standard. That can't be right. I'm starting to loose the taste in my mouth for this car already. :(

I'm keeping my S2K if that's the case. Tell me it ain't so. :confused:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Of course they can guarantee you MSRP, but they bumped you from your spot. Hopefully other dealers are not like this.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Palm Beach is close by, they guarantee MSRP and are I think their list is in the 50's, and they will give you written confirmation of your place in line.

I cant believe the dealer in Miami is treating you like that, and after they told you that you were the first depositor. On the post that you made earlier with prices and options that has since been deleted, it stated the the MSRP hadnt been set yet. Maybe they got there a** chewed out by Lotus for giving you that form before they were suppossed to and were trying to get back at you. They cant quote a price until it is offically announced.

Even though I have a low number, I would walk out if the dealer started playing games, and most likely so would a bunch of people that I referred to them. It's not worth getting a bad reputation in town and losing a lot of future sales by trying to screw people over.

There was one used luxury car dealer in town that I told people to never go to, since the owner was a deadbeat and didnt pay any of his homeowners dues on the houses that he owns in our development. As a result all the other people had their dues increase proportionally to make up for his not paying. Do you think any of the 700 other people in our assocation will ever buy a car from him or recommend him to their friends. Last I heard the sheriffs office seized all the cars at his dealership a few months ago and were closing him down. Guess he wasnt paying his bills their either.

If I get my car first, and the dealer in Miami winds up screwing you, I will let you borrow my car so that you can drive up to the dealership, honk, give him the finger, and say, "I dont need you, sucker!" He will then stand there, shake his head in bewilderment and wonder how you got the car so quickly from someplace else and then begin to rethink his business practices.

Remember, in the end it's only a car. It's not like you are buying a house and wont have anyplace to live if the deal doesnt go thru or like being told that your place in line for a heart transplant has changed from "next in line" to "sorry your going to die waiting".

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I can't swear to it, but from what was previously (transiently)posted, extra charge for all metallics (everything but ardent red and saffron yellow), and about twice that extra charge for the "lifestyle" colors (is that lifestyle of the rich and famous???)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
it was in the order guide which was posted earlier and then deleted

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
transio said:

It is not definite, but it is approximately correct. It may vary $100 or so (probably based upon how the dollar does) before final numbers are released.
I guess I'll stomach some ramen for this;

Photo by Skiddo (SELOC)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
This is not the case. They believe that they will be able to get $20k over sticker for the car. LOL!
They must be on crack! For 65 or 70K you can go to the Autotoy Store in Ft Lauderdale and have your choice of about 50 differant slightly used sportcars, Porsches, Benzs, older Ferraris, etc

You can even get a new Esprit for 10 grand off list at Criswell in MD

The market down here wont go for that, since there are too many other cars to compete with. Or maybe your dealer has the Marlins, Dan Marino, Gloria Estefan and Madonna already lined up. :p

Besides banks only loan up to MSRP, they do not finance dealer markup. So that means that this dealer expects you to put at least 20K down and finance the rest, or pay cash. Most people do not fit into this category. Either they dont have the 20K to put down, or they have tons of cash and will buy something more expensive.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
FYI Behlmans in St Louis is in low 40's, great guys, very midwest mentality.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts