The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are proud to show you months of hard work in the making to solve a critical flaw in the Elise/Exige. Night driving has a always been an issue in these cars because of inadequate lighting. We have solved that issue once and for all.

We will be doing a group buy in the coming week to release our kit. This is an made to order kit so each kit will be made after the group buy closes.

Plug and Play Kit includes:
-ORE Bi-Xenon Projectors
-custom brackets (Designed by ORE)
-custom wiring harness (Designed by ORE)
-HID Kit (NOT INCLUDED) can be found on eBay for around $35

Retail price: $349.99
Introductory group buy price: $299.99

This is not the thread to order it but more of an unveiling of a new product.

In the video we are using a 35 watt HID kit not a 55 watt

On Rails Engineering Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit Kit Lotus Elise/Exige - YouTube

What does everyone think?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Thanks for exploring the sorely lacking area of lighting aftermarket for these cars. However, there are lots of questions to be clarified before being able to distinguish this offering as a genuine upgrade vs the past alternatives which involve stuffing a Chinese HID bulb and janky eBay ballast into existing halogen projectors from Lotus. These projectors do not have a cutoff pattern designed for the xenon bulbs and thus throw off the light beam (although with enough increased wattage/brightness and 'cooler looking' color, it has been enough to satisfy basic needs. But I know those solutions arent really HID.

Is this for 05-06 headlights or do you have a kit for 07+ headlights?

Who is ORE and where is their factory and are they a Tier 1 supplier to any major OEM? Are these genuine HID xenon projectors or just redesigned halogen projectors with different cutoff pattern? How do the projectors compare to known HID benchmarks (TSX, S2000, RX350 etc)?

If this involves major cutting and retrofitting, it's almost not worth using an unknown supplier and go with the above standards. If this retrofit kit is a brand new housing already installed, then it may be worth using.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We are ORE and we had these designed with specific dimensions to fit the existing housing. These are true HID projectors not just a bulb kit or halogen projectors. We are going to make another video to compare against the Evora HIDs.

As for the bulbs and ballast that is solely up to the customer. We are merely just suggesting and not included. You can buy a $35 kit from eBay or $200 kit from a retail outlet.

This is on a 05-06. The kit will work for a 07+ the customer is responsible for taking their own headlights apart. No cutting needed this is a plug and play for the 05-06.

We looked into above said projectors along with a few others like ZKW the issue we ran into is that it needed major modification to make it fit. The goal was to make this a simple non labor intensive DIY kit so people wouldn't have to spend a lot of money having a shop install it. I believe we accomplished what we set out to do.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Pics pls

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
So these are replacements for the OEM projectors then? but you dont have a picture and we all have to come to New Jersey if we want to see the setup? just clarifying. I think he wants pics of ...

-ORE Bi-Xenon Projectors

As would I. NJ is pretty far from most of us lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'd like to see a pic of the kit too. The video definitely shows better light output than the stock halogens.

You can put me down for the group buy. And I'm going to try and make it to NJ but because I only found out about it today I won't join the lunch... just the meet beforehand.

Anyone have a link to the "HID kit" that's needed? What HID kit did you use in the video?

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So these are replacements for the OEM projectors then? but you dont have a picture and we all have to come to New Jersey if we want to see the setup? just clarifying. I think he wants pics of ...

-ORE Bi-Xenon Projectors

As would I. NJ is pretty far from most of us lol
They are bolt on direct replacements for the factory halogen projectors.

At this time since we have not officially launched the product for sale I can't post pics of the individual parts. I'll be more than happy to post a pic of the setup installed with out the housing cover once the product is officially released. Premature product pics will allow others to compete and not in our best interested. Also keep in mind we are still in the testing phase so parts may change color and shape when it comes to the finished product. So if I post pics of our test kit it may look completely different from the finished product. Just to give you an example. The test brackets are 3D printed where the finished one would be metal. All I can ask is be patient and we will put out a quality product.

As for the NJ that was directed toward that specific member who may or may not be coming to a lotus event in his/her area.

I'm sure someone will ask about the weight of the projectors. They are much smaller than the oem ones.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'd like to see a pic of the kit too. The video definitely shows better light output than the stock halogens.

You can put me down for the group buy. And I'm going to try and make it to NJ but because I only found out about it today I won't join the lunch... just the meet beforehand.

Anyone have a link to the "HID kit" that's needed? What HID kit did you use in the video?
We also had to readjust the lights because it was aimed too low in the video. It was late last night when we finished so we didn't get a chance to reshoot the video.

We used a kit that we had laying around not sure what the brand is. In the past I have seen people use the eBay kits. Maybe someone else running an hid kit can recommend a product.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Lowtush You have obviously been an active poster on this site. Your venture with On Rails Engineering is really cool and it seems you guys are working to do things to improve the cars we are all pasionate about.

I appreciate your putting your lighting solution out there before it is "Market Ready" for us to evaluate. I welcome that and would suggest that the other members cut you alittle slack at least during these Beta phases.

Obviously , you will eventually be graded on the finished product. And you know that the LT community will be critical, demanding and fair with what you develop.

I suggest the LT members focus on providing Lowtush with valuable insight as to what might make a better product as opposed to challenging his marketing strategy during the development process.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I suggest the LT members focus on providing Lowtush with valuable insight as to what might make a better product as opposed to challenging his marketing strategy during the development process.
from what ive been reading ,the op is simply being asked for a picture of the product he is selling ,nothing wrong with that and any business surely would supply a picture,i dont get it ???????

I congratulate any new inovative product being brought forward,but nobody can give "valuable insight" if they have nothing to base the insight on can they:rolleyes:

·
Registered
181 Posts
As someone who once considered an HID upgrade on an 08 Elise but punted due to a lack of confidence in the products on market, I wish you would sell a COMPLETE kit including the HIDs and stand behind it. Perhaps an optional add-on?

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As someone who once considered an HID upgrade on an 08 Elise but punted due to a lack of confidence in the products on market, I wish you would sell a COMPLETE kit including the HIDs and stand behind it. Perhaps an optional add-on?
Due to vast variety in HID kits it would be extremely time consuming to test every kit. That's like asking us to test ever bulb for the oem lights. We stand by our projectors. Members can choose their HID kits and color. We did this because not every one would want to spend $200 on a kit and not everyone wants to spend $35 on a kit. Therefore you guys are welcome to buy what you please and it will work with our projectors.

As for pics of the kit once the group buy starts we will post pics of the kit. Not while it's in test. Insight is not necessary in development of the product as design is already done and it works. What we want to know from you guys is that is it worth it for you guys to have this upgrade or are we just going to keep this as a one off in our test car? We want to know the demand.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think this is a great product and allows for a lot of flexibility with the customer. ORE provides most of the hardware and like lowtush said, customer can choose what HID kit to go with, which removes ORE from that part of the equation, simplifying the process from a sellers standpoint.

However, the problem with selling a projector kit is that these cars come with projectors already, and people have successfully swapped HID kits into them, with decent cutoff results. The benefit to ORE projector kits is to have an even better cutoff and have HID use for the high beams.

Looks great, but not worth $300 to me for the extra weight or my minimal use of high beams.

Side note, people with 07+ headlights, opening sealed headlights is not that hard, you basically put the housing into the oven at low temp for 15 minutes and the glue becomes tacky and you pull the lens off. It isn't that difficult or worrisome to do, and won't melt.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,777 Posts
I'm confused, so what exactly is this if there are no bulbs or ballast? Brackets?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm confused, so what exactly is this if there are no bulbs or ballast? Brackets?
Our cars come with halogen projectors, which consists of a lens and body that project the light onto the road. There is a metal shield inside the body that gives a cutoff where light does not go above.

Since it is made for a halogen bulb, the bulb provides light from the filament and thus by putting a HID bulb in, you alter where the light comes from, altering lighting characteristics of the projector (not optimal cutoff scenario).

ORE is providing a projector (and wiring?) that is made for an HID bulb, so it has optimal HID lighting characteristics, and has a moving metal shield which allows the projector to act as a high beam light as well. The main reason for bixenon is so that you can "flash" the high beams. Otherwise, if you wanted to replace your high beams with HID in the current bulb, you would be turning on and off the balast/bulb, which shortens HID life

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,777 Posts
Our cars come with halogen projectors, which consists of a lens and body that project the light onto the road. There is a metal shield inside the body that gives a cutoff where light does not go above.

Since it is made for a halogen bulb, the bulb provides light from the filament and thus by putting a HID bulb in, you alter where the light comes from, altering lighting characteristics of the projector (not optimal cutoff scenario).

ORE is providing a projector (and wiring?) that is made for an HID bulb, so it has optimal HID lighting characteristics, and has a moving metal shield which allows the projector to act as a high beam light as well. The main reason for bixenon is so that you can "flash" the high beams. Otherwise, if you wanted to replace your high beams with HID in the current bulb, you would be turning on and off the balast/bulb, which shortens HID life
Gotcha. Explains why it is a little pricey. It would be nice if they included a "recommended" bulb & ballast for people like me who are too lazy to research what is a good solution that doesn't immediately fail!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts