The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my affairs in order and was able to put aside some funds for a supercharger. I decided to go with BOE REV300. Never driven a supercharged Lotus before so I don't have anything to compare my 06 Exige to. I mostly track my Exige and sees the streets once in a while. I've always said to myself that I will keep it N/A, but I've been itching for more power lately.

I can't believe that I'm on the fence about it. Some of it is the cost, although I have the funds, in the back of my mind I hear "do you really need more power? Is it worth it?".

Maybe it will help to read some encouragement words from BOE owners or S/C owners in general. Perhaps I can finally hit the Pay Now button like I almost did this morning.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I would not bother with a non-intercooled setup for the track. BOE stuff is awesome, but get the intercooler.

More power is always fun unless you are trying to stay in a certain class. The sound and the added torque are a blast.

My car came with a SC, if doing it over again, I would probably just upgrade brakes, suspension and most of all the driver.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
The chassis is so great, it can handle a lot more HP. I've got a Cup260 and wish I had double... I bet I'd fall asleep in a N/A Elise... Like Nike says, "Just do it!" Hit the pay button. Once you drive it, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

·
2006 Exige
975 Posts
If you have plenty of money, why not?

But if you are hesitant for any reason, I wouldn't do it.

If you are tracking, you will definitely need to add on the cost of the intercooler with the BOE300 (as well as catch cans and fuel booster tank thingie). Also keep in mind that with more power will come higher maintenance/repair costs.

The ~300hp S/C Exige I drove felt 1 gear faster than my N/A Exige. 1st in my car felt like 2nd in his car. Big difference in feel. It was definitely a lot of fun, but when we did a roll on straight-line race, the S/C car didn't 'blow away' my car and didn't even create a large gap until after 1/2 mile or so.

If you want to hang with Z06's on the straights, you can still forget about it with a S/C Exige.

Also, you will get used to the 300hp just like you are used to the 190hp now. I've had it happen to me in many cars. A month after I bought my Viper, I was looking for a supercharger because the thing didn't have enough torque....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate the feedback. I'm really trying to take my time on this and will be sleeping on it for a while since you brought up good points AZelise. And I agree Jefrac - the driver is the most important upgrade.

When I go on the track, I really don't try to "hang" with the big boys though, but try to improve on my lap times each time I'm out there. I could care less if I have to point anyone by on the straights.

I didn't think it would be this difficult. Or maybe, I'm just making it difficult for myself.

·
Registered
640 Posts
We have 3 turbo's, 1 BOE400 and 1 factory SC.
We track them all.
The factory SC guy laments he should have done the BOE or the Turbo.
Same magnificent handling but when you hit the go pedal the car comes
to life in a way I can't properly describe. No electronic bull$it. Just Lotus.
There is no going back.....why would you want to?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Go with the rev400! I do not have one but think it is the most up to date package available. It is tottally worth it as you will adapt the power quickly and want more!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,255 Posts
REV400 REV400 REV400 REV400 REV400 REV400 REV400
Do it. You know you waaaaant to. :D
:shift:REV400 REV400 REV400 REV400 REV400 REV400 REV400

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ Hahaha. If I'm on the fence with the 300, 400 is out of the question at this point.

So is this the consensus: that a REV300 is not a track worthy upgrade? It's not IC'd, so why not a VF intercooled for less money?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If you want to go SC and budget is an issue, go BOE 300.

Good performance increase, and it is upgradable to a 400 at a later time.

If it's a dedicated track car, 400 makes sense.
If it's a street car that you sometimes track, the 300 is a great choice.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I have the vf and love it but to get the latest tuning software i would spend money on rev 400. It all depends on your future goals as said before there are several things that need to be done along with s/c. Catchcans, motormounts, cooler plugs, clutch, great oil etc. the vf is an mp62 and is awsome for street with some track like me but a dedicated track car would benefit more from the 400

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Along with the SC, I will be installing the FST and catch cans. I already have the front and rear Innovative motor mounts as well as RTD brace. Will be keeping the clutch til' it gives out. If I do get the SC, it will be seeing more street use than previous.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Ok last question! Do you do your own wrenching? The answe will give you your answer. If you do your own work almost anything is affordable but takes time. Depending on life kids wife work (notice order) you can do anything

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've done my own wrenching so far actually. Nitrons single, RTD, LETSLA, rotors/pads, all fluids, etc...But they all came with clear instructions and able to manage by myself. They're all pretty straight forward installs after all. I would like to install it myself but it's a bit complicated for me (at least for BOE) without another person to guide me. I went over the VF installation instructions and I feel that I can follow/perform each step with the directions provided. I'm a visual person, and the VF had plenty of them. For some reason, BOE instructions gets me lost.

So, if someone was there to guide me, I would love to do the install since I enjoy working on the car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I tracked my Elise for 3 years on the original BOE TVS kit (what would eventually turn into the REV300) and I can't really recommend the 400 kit if you're on the fence about budget in any way.

REV400 opens up a whole new world of costs if you're tracking the car. Transmissions become wear items until you break down and swap in the E153 or go sequential. Go ahead and check out the transmission subforum. The aftermarket still hasn't come up with a cost-effective alternative.

Next up is engine internals. You're not going to last long at those power levels on a stock engine on the track. At a minimum the head will need some work.

Yes, with REV300 the IAT numbers will be a little high. Either go with a conservative tune or mix in some 100 octane. I was on full standalone EFI tuned by DRS with some very light engine work (valves, springs, drop-in pistons) and made 275whp with a crazy flat torque curve and it was an absolute dream to drive on the track. Apparently I had a unicorn transmission that could handle the power so I was a bit lucky in that regard. I was tracking the car in Phoenix on pump gas and never had a problem so don't worry too much about not having an intercooler.

Point is, going to REV400 means a lot more things will be stressed and there are costs associated with that. If you plan for that and are good with the costs go nuts. There's plenty of fun to be had with the 300 and honestly more interesting things to do with the car like brakes and suspension.

Best of luck!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
you can install the 300 now, and add the inter cooler later, making it a 400. That's the beauty of it. The only difference between the two is the addition of the inter cooler.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This may be a silly question. Can someone go ahead and do the full BOE 400 kit with intercooler, but keep the power level set at a more conservative level vs maxing things out? Seems like you need to intercooler for the track as the temps can get pretty extreme and power loss without the intercooler becomes a problem (my limited understanding). So by keeping the power level set conservatively (I have no clue what hp this would be, but in the recommended range for the BOE 300) you'd have a reliable intercooled car that wouldn't have a problem with power loss and would be easier on the engine internal parts? Or if you're setting your tune at a lower level do you even need the intercooler?

I've been wondering this for a while as I'd like to someday upgrade to the 300 or 400, and can see the benefit of the intercooler for more consistency. Oh course this all relies on the self control not to go down the slippery slope of more power...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Short answer....Yes!

Get a different pulley size which will reduce the spin rate of the blower creating less boost. Talk to BOE and they'll tell you what you need to do.

We did that with the BOE400 we installed. No problems!

This may be a silly question. Can someone go ahead and do the full BOE 400 kit with intercooler, but keep the power level set at a more conservative level vs maxing things out? Seems like you need to intercooler for the track as the temps can get pretty extreme and power loss without the intercooler becomes a problem (my limited understanding). So by keeping the power level set conservatively (I have no clue what hp this would be, but in the recommended range for the BOE 300) you'd have a reliable intercooled car that wouldn't have a problem with power loss and would be easier on the engine internal parts? Or if you're setting your tune at a lower level do you even need the intercooler?

I've been wondering this for a while as I'd like to someday upgrade to the 300 or 400, and can see the benefit of the intercooler for more consistency. Oh course this all relies on the self control not to go down the slippery slope of more power...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts