The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a krypton green exige-s in nevada I have my eye on, 7k miles with full options. Its listed for 45k, but I am asking for 45k out the door. I figure thats a pretty fair price considering the current market and other prices I've seen.

I am asking them for an ECU dump -- is this unreasonable? The place also mentioned that I could get a reflash to 265 hp; I asked them if they referred to goth.am (I guess they are in the same area) and he confirmed. What do you think this says about the dealer? Its not a lotus specific dealer....and the car apparently has RE01R's on it instead of the toyos. I am familiar with these tires, in fact I almost got them on my sti, but are they going to make the exige handle like crap compared to the stock tires? They are apparently brand spankin new, so I would be hesitant to toss them.

What should I look for in the ecu dump if I get it? I've only seen dump information for the 1,000 mile mark. Should I perhaps get the VIN and give lotus of america a call and see if they have records...or something?

I'm excited. :coolnana::panic::crazyeyes:eek:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...search the VIN and dump the ECU, absolutely...those new tires make me suspicious, but it could be a perfectly legitimate attempt to dress up the car for sale - strange that they didn't put on the stock A048s...

...you can also inquire with a lotus dealership for the service history database, but of course that often won't tell the car's full story...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
on ECU dump look for standing starts and high rev driving...

like M said, search the vin and if you really are suspicious take it to a lotus dealer and get an inspection done.

Enjoy the car!!! and post pics after you get it :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You must definatly get it, but listen to these guys they know there stuff. Have it checked just incase its been scragged around.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...search the VIN and dump the ECU, absolutely...those new tires make me suspicious, but it could be a perfectly legitimate attempt to dress up the car for sale - strange that they didn't put on the stock A048s...

...you can also inquire with a lotus dealership for the service history database, but of course that often won't tell the car's full story...
Why do the tires make you suspicious? I asked if it had been tracked and he said it was owned by a women but she and her husband had taken it out to a track before. I also asked why they didn't do the stock A048's, didn't really get a straight answer.

On another note, some girl from ferrari of denver (who has a 240s) told me the LSD's were horrible and she would never order a lotus with one. Is there some downside to LSD's I don't know of? My sti has front and rear! lol. I swear by her first response when I asked about it I think she thought I meant the drug LSD.

I will get the VIN and inquire about it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
On another note, some girl from ferrari of denver (who has a 240s) told me the LSD's were horrible and she would never order a lotus with one. Is there some downside to LSD's I don't know of? My sti has front and rear! lol. I swear by her first response when I asked about it I think she thought I meant the drug LSD.
It would be horrible to take her S240 shopping with the LSD as has more grip whenever she turns. :huh::shrug:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be horrible to take her S240 shopping with the LSD as has more grip whenever she turns. :huh::shrug:
I sent her an email explaining what an LSD does and questioned how it would be bad, and she shot back saying pretty much just because im a girl doesn't mean I don't know anything about cars. And she didn't answer the question. I bet she asked the mechanics! :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
ECU dump for sure - more than TWO standing starts and your remaining warranty is at risk (is the warranty still in effect?). also check top speed, and times and % of time at high speeds and RPMs. Get the VIN and run through CARFAX CARFAX used car VIN number search, auto history check, vehicle history reports to see the cars vehicle history. You might consider, if you can, having a Lotus dealer or independent mechanic do a mechanical and frame inspection for you. You should for sure test drive the car as much as you can to see if you pick up anything strange (suspension damage or whatever). Can you get maintenance records from the previous owner or the dealership where they had service done? Sounds like the car might be about due for scheduled maintenance at 7500 miles. Does the interior of the car and condition of the seats and carpets and general interior look as you think it should for 7000 miles (or does it look older...). A good rule of thumb is don't buy based on what you've been told - assume that the salesperson is exaggerating (at best). Don't put down any money or deposit until your own mechanic has inspected the car. Check with the DMV to see if there are any liens, it's stolen (! - ok - unlikely), or has outstanding tickets. Make sure that whoever signs the Bill of Sale is that actual registered owner of the car.

You should be excited - that's a super-fun, incredible car.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...oh, the only reason the non-stock tires make me tilt my head askew is that they're brand-new, i presume put on by the dealer?..it's a quirky decision akin to cheaply dressing up a hard-driven car for curb appeal and a quick flip, not that i'm asserting that's necessarily the case here, just that it makes me curious...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts