The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was turning in to pick up my trailer this morning and had a THUD! wham! BANG! experience. A twenty or so year old kid did not even hit the brakes (no tire squeal or skidmarks) and drove into my backend going about 50.

wreck 001.JPG
Knocked the big Tundra about 100 feet, clear off the road. All my track stuff was loaded up. My driving shoes were found another 100 feet down the road. Those are two 6 gallon gas cans in the back!

wreck 003c.jpg
I considered not going to VIR for the NASA event, but borrowed my brother's big Dodge Ram diesel and went on. Car and trailer are dropped off, I'm in hotel ready to lay down. No one was really hurt, just stunned. All parties involved including Police, emergency workers, tow people, and rental car people were really good, nice folks. Not seeing it coming, I was completely relaxed.
Gives me pause to realize the precious nature of health and wellbeing. The lives of myself and many others could have been really changed if my neck had gone back even a bit differently.

Sorry about the pics, I don't (yet) have an editing program on my laptop.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Glad your ok! Enjoy your VIR event.

If you are using Windows, there is a free simple easy to use image resizer from Microsoft PowerToys. It is called "Image Resizer" and is only 521 KB. Once installed you simply right click on the image you want to resize and select "Resize Pictures".
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
holy crap! that's quite an impact.

while continuing on to VIR is the brave and exciting thing to do, I'm wondering what, if any, lingering physical effects will present themselves post-accident this AM.

bes safe and i wish you well at VIR.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Glad you're OK. I'd be really aware of any pain or discomfort you might feel in your neck and back at VIR and stop driving immediately if anything feels odd. (No, I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Honday Inn once)

Your truck looks to be in surprisingly good shape, considering the way his car looks. Speaks well of the Tundra.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wow! That was a heck of a hit. I'm glad you weren't towing the Elise! If you look at the front of the Dodge, you can see where the front bumper beam was cut in half. I'm figuring that is where your trailer hitch hit it. Your truck looks like it held up well. I'm guessing your frame is pretty screwed up though. Hopefully the kid has enough insurance to cover everything. Take it easy at the track and pay attention to what your body is telling you. Soreness often doesn't show up till 24 hours afterwards. If you are going to get hit though, straight on from the back assuming you have a good head rest is probably the best way. The seat does a good job of spreading the force on your body instead of the seat belt trying to stop you.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Glad you are writing this and not somebody from your family - The "Yota" held up very well considering, Can't say the same of "Supermans" Dodge! (see sticker on passenger door). In memory of your trailer hitch, I would give it a name like "Vlad the impaler",
I would expect some soreness so be careful!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Glad your ok and hopefully your not feeling much post-incident pain.

The Tundra is a very sound well built truck, I'm not surprised it took that hit pretty well and thankfully kept you out of harm's way.

What is the kid's story?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I'm glad no one was seriously injured. I agree with Tracy -- stop driving if anything feels wrong. Can take even 2-3 days for the sore areas to really surface. I was struck by a vehicle while walking to a work parking lot. Walked back into the hospital to have my head laceration stapled, not realizing that my right hip socket was cracked (that's where the force of the blow occurred). No pain even with walking then severe pain surfaced 2 days later. Be careful at VIR.

On a side note, looking at the rear of your truck, the other driver didn't happen to be a State or Duke fan by chance? :p. And looking at the passenger door of his car, he probably realizes that he's not indestructible -- 20yo with a superman sticker.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Glad you're okay and I know how unearving being rear-ended like that can be. As others have said, watch for signs of neck/ back injury over the next day or two. Sometime those things take a while to surface. Looking at the pics, I couldn't help but notice something...

Upon closer inspection, it appears that while Superman may be faster than a speeding bullet, his braking ability leaves a little to be desired...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I was thinking a Tundra (painted Ardent Red) would be a nice truck for towing the Elise to tracks in the future, looks like one tough truck !

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used that same hitch on my brother's Dodge Ram to tow to VIR last night. Good day today, perfect weather, got some of the Winter rust off.
Thanks for the concern, I have been quite vigilant more of mental cjanges like misspellin than physical. Neck's a bit sore, I borrowed one of those neck collars today. It made me fell better in case of another hit. Wish I'd had it and my helmet on yesterday morning.
I told my friends and family: "If I had decided not to go, you would have known I was not OK".
One tough f'in truck! Hope it's OK.
I feel VERY lucky. Breath deep and treasure your life and health!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts