The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless of how one feels about the change to the boards, mine are strongly negative, I think one thing stands above them all.

This board always was a community and was promoted as that and not a commercial entity. As such, it felt comfortable and many of us felt we could let our hair down. Now it has become a commercial entity and as such many of the posts I've put into this feel silly and not things I would have posted in a corporate site.

While I have not paid anything to keep this site up, I have added to its hit count (making it a viable internet ad entity) I've purchased (significantly) from vendors who have posted on the site and purchased tasteful banner ads. And I think from time-to-time added a few helpful hints.

As I have never participated much in the commercial sites on the internet, I don't feel I want to participate in this one either. It is not the change in software that bothers me, I think there are actually some cool features, rather it is the entire change of the site.

I can't believe it, it's quite sad.

Take care guys!

Joe

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Regardless of how one feels about the change to the boards, mine are strongly negative, I think one thing stands above them all.

This board always was a community and was promoted as that and not a commercial entity. As such, it felt comfortable and many of us felt we could let our hair down. Now it has become a commercial entity and as such many of the posts I've put into this feel silly and not things I would have posted in a corporate site.

While I have not paid anything to keep this site up, I have added to its hit count (making it a viable internet ad entity) I've purchased (significantly) from vendors who have posted on the site and purchased tasteful banner ads. And I think from time-to-time added a few helpful hints.

As I have never participated much in the commercial sites on the internet, I don't feel I want to participate in this one either. It is not the change in software that bothers me, I think there are actually some cool features, rather it is the entire change of the site.

I can't believe it, it's quite sad.

Take care guys!

Joe
I think you're far from alone in your feelings. I've noticed a significant slowdown in activity since the changeover and I'm sad to say that I too share more than a few of your feelings. If this turns into anything like the Altima forum that is owned by the same company, I will be starting a similar thread.

I'm sad to see you go as I enjoyed your input, but I fear that you're the first of many. It's no longer a boutique forum for a boutique marque. I feel like GM just bought Lotus...
:(

·
Registered
693 Posts
The slow down in forum activity is surprising to me... I guess I'm one of the few who like the changes.

I guess I don't make the connection. If there is no loss in monetary value, then what is to gain from dismissing the new change other than you don't like the commercial banners?

The people, the information and the core of the forum still the same regardless of the shell that encompasses it.

JMO.

Tim

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
The slow down in forum activity is surprising to me... I guess I'm one of the few who like the changes.

I guess I don't make the connection. If there is no loss in monetary value, then what is to gain from dismissing the new change other than you don't like the commercial banners?

The people, the information and the core of the forum still the same regardless of the shell that encompasses it.

JMO.

Tim
It's like putting a Veyron engine into an Elise... sure, in theory it's awesome, but in reality it's character and dynamic has changed for the worse.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The rate of posting did drop this week. I've been taking "a few samples" of the post count and generated some statistics. The numbers below show the average daily post count averaged over weekly periods for the past 10 weeks (Sunday 0:00 PDT through Saturday 23:59 PDT). Posting this week has been about 20% below average over the sample period... that blows my guestimate for 1,000,000 posts :rolleyes:

I can tune out all the ads. The slower load times are a bit anoying. I'm not leaving ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Could the lower post count this week be because of all the removed posts? :shrug:

This is the first week I have noticed so many posts disappear.:thwack:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Could the lower post count this week be because of all the removed posts? :shrug:

This is the first week I have noticed so many posts disappear.:thwack:

:popcorn:
I doubt it. I couple hundred posts disappeared, at least from the count, but I think the posting rate has slowed down. It may be from the site being less responsive. It may be because of some people's attitudes.

One thing you can always count on in life... things change.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Its really weird how it just died...I havent had a response on like 4 threads in a week and a half or something. It's weird cuz i just looked at 420chan forum (smoking forum) because there is a movie called super high me instead of super size me with macdonalds its weed, anyways they have shut down all of their ads and what not, and its died down too, werid, I didnt realize they changed so much to the forum until today, i thought they only changed the color lol. so what happened?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
This doesn't make much sense. The format has changed. owner ship has changed, but the root of ANY forum is the content. Who is posting what. Who finds value in what is posted.

If someone tells me they're leaving because the tone and content has decidedly, predominantly, and permanently moved in a direction they don't care for, that makes sense.

But because it looks and feels different, or because ownership is a bit more corporate, that makes little sense.

It's a source of information. If a book has information in it you really want or need, do you avoid it because you don't like it's cover, font, or paper type? You look through that to get to what you want.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Come on, people!

This site is not defined so much by the ads which are put there to keep the site viable or to generate business.

It is defined by us and what we make it. We gather here to learn from each other, help each other, and to chat about the COOLEST CARS ON THE PLANET!!

Sorry, I don't think that more ads, and maybe slower functioning (which I haven't noticed myself), and a different look, are reasons to leave.

About Randy no longer being with us - he may have been the best 'founder of forums' in the world, but that doesn't mean the site should cease to exist when he goes.

Because we can still continue to put what we want to INTO the site (our words, pics, and attitudes), we can still continue to get the same stuff OUT of the site.

I am staying.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Joe,
I, like many others would be sad to see you go. Your definitely one of the good ones that has made this site beneficial for me. I know what your talking about. Whether it's just a perception or not, it seems different now. It's still the best site I can go to for information and news but it's just not the same. If you pop in now and then, be sure to say hi and if your ever 'round Boise way, give us a holler.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
sorry to see you go, RegGuy. You gotta do whatcha gotta do, but I personally don't understand it. Is there a sudden influx of non-Lotus people to the site above and beyond the normal %? Because it's the people that give the forum it's content. And as long as it's the normal group, why leave? :shrug:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Here's an idea...........they can start a section that will only allow people with over 1500 posts or so.......that'll stop all the stupid questions.....and we won't get frustrated and leave !! :clap:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Here's an idea...........they can start a section that will only allow people with over 1500 posts or so.......that'll stop all the stupid questions.....and we won't get frustrated and leave !! :clap:
hmmm.....you choose that number for a reason *glancing at my post number*? :( -poke-

1 - 20 of 59 Posts