The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving for three days, on my way out to BOE. This morning I cracked my clam turning into a Tim Horton's for coffe, I didn't see the dip in time as I wasn't awake yet. ( Note to self- no driving before coffee). I was hoping it might be repairable without pulling the clam as the front face of the clam is not cracked. Just a hairline along the bottom of the plinth, and the top face leading into the grill, back to the edge of the clam. I taped it up for stability for the remainder of the trip. I guess I could claim it on my insurance and get a $2000 repair with a clam off touch up, or maybe my f/g guru buddy can figure something out, and I could airbrush some B95 paint code in there. Oh well. Excuse the bugs on the pics - been a long drive.

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the thing that looks like a HUGE crack across the clam at headlight level - isn't. That's a reflection.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more detail

more

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - I just talked to my fiberglass guru - and he said we need to get to the inside of the clam for the repair.
If I drop the front panel - that does give me access to the inside of that part of the clam - yes????? If so - this is a clam on repair with the grill pulled, and an airbrush paint blend fix.
I need to stabilize the crack more & better tonight.

·
Registered
577 Posts
OK - I just talked to my fiberglass guru - and he said we need to get to the inside of the clam for the repair.
If I drop the front panel - that does give me access to the inside of that part of the clam - yes????? If so - this is a clam on repair with the grill pulled, and an airbrush paint blend fix.
I need to stabilize the crack more & better tonight.

I did a very similar thing to mine, except it tore the corners off the plinth as well. Took off the front access panel and was able to get in and reinforce everything from behind, wasn't nearly as big a deal as I thought...which originally was oh crap I just made a 5k mistake. Instead I had all the stuff at home already to repair it. ANd did it just like you said, make the repair, airbrush to blend in..all good.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
You really need to change that first picture lol. I saw it, and said, holy crap batman, you need a new clam!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really need to change that first picture lol. I saw it, and said, holy crap batman, you need a new clam!
you got that right - i looked at the pic after i posted it and ran back outside because i thought i might have missed something...the big deal now is stabilizing the cracked portion until i can get it back to the east coast... I'm 5 hours away from Kansas City at the moment, so I'm hoping turbophill might help me with a temp fix to get me home. I can handle it all back at my shop w/ my fiberglass buddy. He builds those America's Cup 10 meter boats in Rhode Island and seriously knows carbon fibre and fg. And I have a source literally next door to my house for the Bordeaux Red Pearl B95.
I swear NEVER to be this stupid again.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a very similar thing to mine, except it tore the corners off the plinth as well. Took off the front access panel and was able to get in and reinforce everything from behind, wasn't nearly as big a deal as I thought...which originally was oh crap I just made a 5k mistake. Instead I had all the stuff at home already to repair it. ANd did it just like you said, make the repair, airbrush to blend in..all good.
Thanks!!! I was hoping someone would chime in with "you can get to it". Drop the front panel and we're in business. Then the splitter goes on. Big time.
I need another beer...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine had a somewhat similar crack when i got it.

The front clamshell isnt so hard after you pull it off and on a few times. Just be careful because it has some really weak points that are as likely to bust in the process.

but whats a little fiberglass between friends? i would also recommend using "west system" for the repair. yes it will take 3x as long, but will be 10x as durable.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think i found one of those weak points... :) The hard way...

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures - do you have a skid plate siliconed to the bottom of the clam? If yes, any analysis about its design and performance? I'm interested because I have my own - as yet - untested skid plate / splitter on my Elise.

Glen

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My splitter has more than paid for itself in abuse taken. One of the more cost effective "beauty" add-ons for an Elise. My first month I was scraping it once a day, going into driveways and store entrances. I have promised myself a new splitter, once I go an entire 60 days without touching it to anything.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I hear ya' addertooth. I bought a Lowtush splitter and it will go on immediately after repair. Does anyone think that the crash structure or anything else will be in my way of repairing/accessing the backside/hollow of the plinth once the front panel is dropped? I guess what I'm asking is how far back does the crash structure sit from the front of the car?? Deja Vu said he was able to get it done in the space available. I'm really hoping that is the case.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It's hard to tell from the pictures - do you have a skid plate siliconed to the bottom of the clam? If yes, any analysis about its design and performance? I'm interested because I have my own - as yet - untested skid plate / splitter on my Elise.

Glen

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I've got Sir Lotus' clam plates, 3 pieces , and they have saved me many times. Unfortunately this time, the clam got hit in one of the gaps between the 3 pieces, due to a chunk of asphalt sticking up within a trough accross the entrance/driveway to the coffee shop. And beware- you hit hard enough - it won't matter - this wasn't a scrape on my part, it was a "stupid" mistake on my part.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Worst case is that I learn to pull my clam a little earlier than i had planned.. I was going to do that next winter anyway. Life could be worse. Thanks everyone.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts
eh....any parts store has fiberglass filler ( with micofine fibers in it ) ....just slop some into the crack to stabilize it till you get back.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts