The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mazda Miata front and rear spindles and brakes. The Miata stock brakes will get swapped out for the big brake kit later.
Very cool. I went the same route for my Bug. Ended up going with the Wilwood brake kit from Flyin Miata. 6 piston up front and 4 in the rear. Havent had any issues so far. Not a bad price either. I am very curious to see the outcome of your a-arm design compared to mine. Lets just say my first set wasnt happy after it's first race.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ok first upper control arm was way to short, I'm talking 3 inches. It was all my fault. When I took my computer plans and put it to the jig I flipped a number in my head. A 9 inch measurement became a 6 inch and the problem started. Really just look at this arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Bolted up lower control arm to double check my measurements and design. The arm is adjusted all the way in and will be adjusted out some to get the correct ride height.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Back to the upper arm and this time do it correctly to the plans. I tacked it up in the jig and then test fit it on the car. Again this arm is adjusted all the way in. Once I make the pushrod shock mounting system. The arms will be adjusted for ride height and camber. The wheel looks really off in the picture but its not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It looks like you're going to get a crazy amount of camber loss as the wheels goes through it's motion. I suggest checking out books about suspension design and theory.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It looks like you're going to get a crazy amount of camber loss as the wheels goes through it's motion. I suggest checking out books about suspension design and theory.
I agree with you. That top arm needs to get mounted lower. I would plug in your dimensions to an online calculator to check camber gain/loss while going through the motion. I used the one through Racing Aspirations. Link HERE. It was a great help and free to use.

·
Registered
956 Posts
This puppy is going to weigh a hell of a lot more than 1400-1500 lbs as you're estimating. It looks like a good candidate for a sports off-road vehicle IMO, but definitely not a canyon carver.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
This was the first steering rack I was going to use. After getting the rack installed and all connected, uh. I used a rack off a car that original mounts to the backside of the tires. Well when you connected it to the first side. Turn the wheel left and you go right. Really good security system but no such thing as GP steering.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 97 Posts