The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Turbo mocked up to check for clearance. Going to change the 90 degree connector on the intercooler to a 45 degree. Going to make the intercooler tubing myself. Need to modify the fuel tank for the air inlet on the turbo. Almost ready to take the motor out to send to the machine shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Here's the modification to the fuel tank. I'll have to wait until the 45 degree silicone connector comes in the mail to seal it back up. I also cut the corners off at the firewall for mounting clearance. I may need to trim them some more. Going to work on the fuel tank mounts over the next couple days. Yes that's a 4" inlet with anti-surge.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Cut and welded in the lower frame brace for the fuel tank. Did a last check to make sure nothing else need to be moved or modified. OH Crap! I didn't take into account the starter. So know I have to find the old starter to bolt up and check. Will post my finding later tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Welded all the corners back up that I cut off for clearance problems. Found the old starter and as you can see no problems. Going to finish welding the mounts onto the tank before I pressure it again. After that I have to seal the inside and paint the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Working on finishing up connecting the steering column to the rack. If you don't remember the first rack I mocked up had a big problem. The wheels would go left when you steer right. Make a great security system.

Here's what the front firewall looks like from the first try.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Whoa.

Do you know how much it weighs so far? How are you going to get it off the table? Are you concerned about the proximity of the fuel tank to the turbo and exhaust system?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Whoa.

Do you know how much it weighs so far? How are you going to get it off the table? Are you concerned about the proximity of the fuel tank to the turbo and exhaust system?

The car will still be around 1400 to 1500 lbs without driver. The exhaust will be routed away from the fuel tank. For the turbo I plan on installing an insulation cover.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Got to thinking if the custom inner tie rods off the steering rack that turned the wrong direction would work. May need to cut some treads off the end but it works. Now just have to paint it and put the boot on.

Attachments

81 - 97 of 97 Posts