The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a screw in one of the rear tires. The car has just over 700 break in miles on it. I wouldn't think there would be an issue replacing just the one
A048 with these easy driven miles rather then both rears. Thougths?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Do you need to replace it? Can't you get a puncture repair? To do it properly the tire should be taken off the rim and then the hole plugged and a patch put on the inside. It is a helluva a lot cheaper than replacing a tire prematurely.

I've had screws in a couple of tires, got them patched then happily and safely did thousands of road and track miles on them.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Do you need to replace it? Can't you get a puncture repair? To do it properly the tire should be taken off the rim and then the hole plugged and a patch put on the inside. It is a helluva a lot cheaper than replacing a tire prematurely.

I've had screws in a couple of tires, got them patched then happily and safely did thousands of road and track miles on them.
He PROBABLY can safely repair the tire. However, the price of being wrong is VERY high in the Elise. We're driving these cars near the envelope at times and a tire failure during those times may cost you you life. If it was only tracked, and done only on tracks without walls/tires, then perhaps it would be OK - you'll probably only skid in the grass. But what if you're taking a turn at high speeds (although well within the car's capabilities) and the tire blows and you go careening into a bunch of kids?

$252 is cheap life insurance here.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With my daily driver I wouldn't be concerned with a patch. With the Exige I have much more concern and do not want to take any extra risks. Just curious about only replacing one tire. With just 700 light break in miles I doubt replacing one tire would be a problem but, just thougth I would throw it out there in case others had a similar experience they would share.

·
Registered
325 Posts
He PROBABLY can safely repair the tire. However, the price of being wrong is VERY high in the Elise. We're driving these cars near the envelope at times and a tire failure during those times may cost you you life. If it was only tracked, and done only on tracks without walls/tires, then perhaps it would be OK - you'll probably only skid in the grass. But what if you're taking a turn at high speeds (although well within the car's capabilities) and the tire blows and you go careening into a bunch of kids?

$252 is cheap life insurance here.
????
Modern tires don't "just blow" unless they suddenly hit something like a pothole or some space junk that has landed on the road. If you're happy spending money you don't need to then who am I to stop you.

I've patched 048s, Kumho V700s and other R-spec tires as have most of the Lotus owners I know and we have never had a problem on the street or the race track. Unless the screw hole is near the shoulder it will be absolutely no problem if repaired properly. I have done hundreds of track and 1000s of street miles on plugged and patched tires and they performed identically to the unpatched ones. If you don't believe your tire shop can repair a puncture properly then you shouldn't be going there for anything.

You can trust me when I say you aren't pushing your cars any harder or closer to the envelope than I am. Check the pic below The front tires were getting air several times per lap and the patched rear was under maximum load. The tires have been on the car since Christmas and covered about 6000 miles. That includes one race meeting and four full track days and the rears are now down to the wear bars. One of my local tracks has a long 90deg corner where the car enters at about 120mph and exits at about 110. The cornering loads from that particular corner kill rear toe link (spherical) ends almost as fast as it kills tires (patched or unpatched).

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I picked up a screw in my tire with the elise while at the track. before i took the screw out i went to the tire guy at the track and asked how much for a patch?
he said under no circumstances would he patch a race tire(AO48 in this case).
no, he wasnt trying to sell me a tire, he didnt have one of these there.
luckily i took the screw out, and it did not puncture my tire.

I think you will be just fine with one new tire given only 700 miles of street useage.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
????
Modern tires don't "just blow" unless they suddenly hit something like a pothole or some space junk that has landed on the road. If you're happy spending money you don't need to then who am I to stop you.
+1 :up:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
????

I've patched 048s, Kumho V700s and other R-spec tires as have most of the Lotus owners I know and we have never had a problem on the street or the race track. Unless the screw hole is near the shoulder it will be absolutely no problem if repaired properly. I have done hundreds of track and 1000s of street miles on plugged and patched tires and they performed identically to the unpatched ones. If you don't believe your tire shop can repair a puncture properly then you shouldn't be going there for anything.

You can trust me when I say you aren't pushing your cars any harder or closer to the envelope than I am. Check the pic below The front tires were getting air several times per lap and the patched rear was under maximum load. The tires have been on the car since Christmas and covered about 6000 miles. That includes one race meeting and four full track days and the rears are now down to the wear bars. One of my local tracks has a long 90deg corner where the car enters at about 120mph and exits at about 110. The cornering loads from that particular corner kill rear toe link (spherical) ends almost as fast as it kills tires (patched or unpatched).
+2. I've just done two track days and made the trip to Utah and back on a front left with a patch and plug. FYI, Discount Tire/America's tire does a plug and patch, mount, and balance...no charge. I was kind of blown away by that. It's hard enough finding a place that will do the plug/patch combo, much less on the house. And no, this is not dependent on whether or not you bought the tires there, however, if you're like me, you may wish to reward that kind of service with your patronage. Oh, and they used a torque wrench.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts