The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car may be leaking oil, possibly from two locations. One area is where a pipe connects to the valve cover. The area is circled in red in the picture below (not of my car, but it shows the location). It looks like the gasket may be allowing for some oil blow-by. Does anyone know what that pipe does and also if replacing the gasket there would be a lot of work? Any idea where to get the gasket? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've concluded that my vent tube is leaking at the gasket. Anyone else have this problem? I may take a shot at replacing the gasket and see if that fixes it.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Lion has it ever been removed for mods? It is a stiff pipe stock and studs should be removed and replced with bolts+loctite when replacing gasket. Makes for easy removal in future. It drains oil back to pan from sqirter pipe that bathes cam shafts. Yes it can leak but usually after manipulation. Easy job remove nuts the remove studs"splined ends" or just use visegrips and dicard studs. Replace gasket with bolts and good to go

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lion has it ever been removed for mods? It is a stiff pipe stock and studs should be removed and replced with bolts+loctite when replacing gasket. Makes for easy removal in future. It drains oil back to pan from sqirter pipe that bathes cam shafts. Yes it can leak but usually after manipulation. Easy job remove nuts the remove studs"splined ends" or just use visegrips and dicard studs. Replace gasket with bolts and good to go
I very highly doubt it has been removed. I bought the car with extremely low miles (practically dealership delivery miles). Maybe all that sitting degraded the gasket? Any idea what the torque specs are for the nuts and bolts? It doesn't seem like a difficult replacement, but I would prefer to do it right. Maybe I'll try tightening down the nuts first and see if that fixes things...

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,600 Posts
Don't forget to check your dipstick o-ring... That is a very likely candidate as well for a leak...

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
The gasket is a crush gasket no meant to be reused. I had the same problem on my Elise when the shop reused the gasket. Just put some gasket maker in the existing gasket.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,600 Posts
That will seal it for certain. It's what I did and a little blue locktite so I can sleep at night with sweet dreams.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts